PDA

View Full Version : Family medical history and physical for Class one

g1344304
4th May 2007, 08:53
Just wondering how stringent is the physical exam for the class one, i.e. do they make you run on a treadmill until you collapse or is it just a simple checkup.

Also, my father is on medication for high blood pressure and cholesterol. However I am nothing like my father, he is stocky, well built, big beer belly - drinks at least 2 pints a day. I am skinny but with an average BMI. We have always lived apart so we eat completely different foods etc. As well as this, my grandfather on my fathers side had alzheimers for quite a few years before his death in 93 (I was 7).

So my question is, should I put these on my medical history form or 'forget' these details? Sorry if this has been posted before.

slim_slag
4th May 2007, 09:05
You don't say where you live, but if they ask you should tell them. If you are healthy enough to let them tick all the right boxes you will pass. If your father has high cholesterol/BP then that should encourage you to look after your health so you are more likely to pass the medicals in several decades time.

g1344304
4th May 2007, 09:10
Sorry slimslag, in the UK, will be doing my initial class 1 in Gatwick.

slim_slag
4th May 2007, 09:17
Here is the form, look at the declaration at the bottom, it's up to you but I'd fill in your family history. They cannot fail you because your dad has high BP, only if you do.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED160.pdf

g1344304
4th May 2007, 12:52
I have filled it in but could easily print another. I have been told that it means they will start to look into your medical history in a lot more detail. Ive been 'advised' that there is no point putting my grandfathers alzheimers on as the only thing it will do is cause more concern and research for the examiner. Still havnt made my mind up!

'I' in the sky
4th May 2007, 13:51
You won't necessarily fail even if you have high blood pressure or colesterol, you'll just have to get it under control first.

g1344304
4th May 2007, 20:39
I dont have either but I just dont want any hiccups! I guess I will put them down, I know I cant be failed because of them, best to get em out of the way.

Anyone have any info on how stringent the physical part is or what it involves?

gingernut
8th May 2007, 08:18
Also, my father is on medication for high blood pressure and cholesterol.

Isn't everyones?

Sorry, not being flippant, just highlighting the fact that this is pretty common nowadays.:)

I guess the authorities would be mre interested if your dad had had some sort of cardiac "event" especially at an early age.

Can't you drag him along to the pool/gym:)