PDA

View Full Version : Seats

Fuel Boy
3rd May 2007, 20:06
I am flying 777 LGW-IAH BA2025 on SAT just wondering about seats, A friend has booked 21 J+K are these OK?

Are there any tips to getting upgraded? or is it luck?

Hokulea
4th May 2007, 04:24
Hello Fuel Boy,

I haven't flown on a BA 777, but according to seatguru dot com seats 21 J & K are good ones in World Traveller Plus class -- bulkhead aisle and window seats with extra legroom. You might have to put up with other people's kids though!

As for upgrading, I'm much more familiar with doing this on US airlines in the US, so this might not be helpful to you at all, and it might be rubbish advice no matter. Upgrading seems to be much harder to do these days then say 5 or 10 years ago and it is mostly a matter of luck. I've found that arriving early for check in and not looking too scruffy helps. If I'm not paying for an upgrade or using air miles, I usually make a very polite request at check in, usually just asking if there might be a chance for an upgrade. This has worked on occasion. Sometimes I've been told at check in that I can't upgrade on my ticket, but I then make another, very polite request at the gate and have often got a different answer. It might be because at that point they are dealing with no-shows and are trying to shuffle seats. It's still a matter of luck though -- and don't make a pain of yourself, that certainly doesn't help!

I once asked if there was a chance of getting an empty seat next to me as I had a lot of work to do on the flight (which was actually true!) and they ended up upgrading me.

With the airline I fly most often, getting the request in early helps as they put it in a queue. I don't know what BA do.

Finally, I've found having a British accent in the US can do wonders for you, but unfortunately I doubt that'll have much of an effect on BA.:E Good luck, and hope you enjoy Houston.

(Apologies for not posting the full URL above, but didn't want to fall foul of the spam rules while still new here - I have no association with seatguru, just found it a very useful site).

TopBunk
4th May 2007, 06:00
That flight is wide open, ie lots of space.

I would suggest that your chance of upgrade is therefore remote. Upgrades often happen when there is overbooking in economy and they have to look fr suitable people for upgrading, that will not apply on this flight according to the booked loads.

Pax Agent
4th May 2007, 12:43
Shame i'm not on your flight! I have just got back from the sister city....DFW!
BA upgrade on exec card status first. So Gold then silver then blue then joe bloggs.
They will bump you only one class normally so WT+ go to club and some club people will go to First.
21 J/K are nice seats although you have to look at those lovely club seats on take off and landing and it's a bit sickening to be so close yet so far!
A tip for you....as its a long flight there are snacks available in the rear galley for you....alot of pax don't know that and there are some nice bits and bobs to munch on!
Enjoy!

pax britanica
8th May 2007, 09:06
I flew LHR HK on a 74 in seats 21 ab -- Y plus it was very good and wife and I found that the paired y plus seats were very good

Got upgraded coming back and it wasnt such a nice trip partly due to the crew who were one of worst ever on BA for total disinterest and the food- truly awful and much better in Y+ on the outbound. However we found club very claustrophobic aafter Y plus
just an observation .I hope you have a nice trip
PB