PDA

View Full Version : Tornado Go Around Video

KPax
3rd May 2007, 11:15
Can anyone help me with a link to a video clip that was on here some time ago of a tornado going around on finals with one lined up.

fantaman
3rd May 2007, 11:25
Think this is the one your looking for but IGS has blocked youtube so I cant be 100% sure, sounds like it though :ok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HEnu3esqlE

c-bert
3rd May 2007, 11:26
That's the one I remember.

SilsoeSid
3rd May 2007, 11:53
There is a way of linking direct to YouTube, that also gives a preview picture.

The code is something like this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HEnu3esqlE but the code would have to be activated by the PPRUNE website guru.

WOW, that is some nearmiss! :eek:

chevvron
3rd May 2007, 12:56
I have to say the one going round seemed to leave it a bit late!!

AlanM
3rd May 2007, 13:13
I was told that it was part of an airshow/families day thing.

Close either way.....

green granite
3rd May 2007, 14:59
I'm sure somebody had some explaining to do, no biscuits either :suspect:

fantaman
3rd May 2007, 14:59
Wasn't this played out for a flight safety video they were making?

A couple of things suggest this to me. The tower controller, ground controller and local assistant surely wouldn't all have missed this and should have issued a go around? It looks like its at a fast jet base so there must have been a caravan controller, he should have been watching the circuit and should have warned the tower and fired off a red flare.

If all four missed it then there is something very wrong :)

Fluffy Bunny
3rd May 2007, 15:13
The fact that both aircraft are clean with no tanks or toys smells of setup to me.

MostlyHarmless
3rd May 2007, 15:19
Bit of a stupid game to play if it wasn't genuine :ooh:

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2007, 15:39
Oh it was genuine alright. Shemy has the size of it. I am surprised the experts here have not picked up on the obvious.

The F3 on the ground at Coningsby, my boss, OC Ops, was the pilot was waiting to take-off on a routine 56 Sqn OCU sortie. The GR1 from Cottesmore, also with OC Ops as the captain was making an approach and high overshoot to Coningsby RW 26. The runway controller, later my flight planning Cpl would have ejected. As it was he flatly refused to do runway control ever again.

oli,_the_original
3rd May 2007, 15:56
Ejected from which plane? The one on final and let it potentially mince the one lined up, or the one lined up and potentially get thrown into the path of the one on finals?

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2007, 16:50
Oli, the caravan you :mad:

Shemy, no. PM me when you know for sure.

Wrathmonk
3rd May 2007, 17:03
I'd agree this was not a set up.

However, I thought it was an all-pilot sortie with a German Air Force student in the front and a very well known (to the public!) Brit Instructor Pilot (flt lt) in the back;) .

Weren't they on a simulated flapless or a swept approach?

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2007, 17:14
Wrath I knew the student pilot was not British but I believe the IP was in fact OC Ops as indeed was the F3 IP.

Genghis Couldn't
3rd May 2007, 17:15
monk - you are correct about the crew. The forward view from the boot is not the best.

But have a look at the vid and you'll see the flaps were down (ok, OR Mid for the pedantic!).

GC

samuraimatt
3rd May 2007, 17:15
Weren't they on a simulated flapless Simulated flapless?

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2007, 17:32
yes, like speechless and simulated speechless.

Just 'simulating' the condition that would make event real.

A simulated engine failure on take-off is another instance.

samuraimatt
3rd May 2007, 17:39
So what is the difference between a flapless approach and a simulated flapless approach?

ATCO17
3rd May 2007, 17:40
I remember this incident from my TTTE days...the instructor was indeed the "Well known gentleman" referred to in an earlier post. Best one ever was the SGO at TTTE trying to taxy off the runway whilst still attached to the overrun cable...He made it onto the taxiway and then the aircraft ground to a halt. He assumed (wrongly) that the brakes had overheated and seized. Bearing in mind the cable was some 1300 feet from the threshold, he did well to stretch it that far! :D

SilsoeSid
3rd May 2007, 17:47
Simulated flapless?
More like actual ****less!!

Elmlea
3rd May 2007, 18:09
yes, like speechless and simulated speechless.
Just 'simulating' the condition that would make event real.
A simulated engine failure on take-off is another instance.

I thought a "simulated" condition which imposed actual limitations on the aircraft was a practice, rather than a simulation.

So you simulate an engine fire, gen failure etc, but you practice a single engine approach/flapless/EFATO etc.

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2007, 18:31
Elmlea, I agree, it is a moot point. Maybe BEagle will chip in but I seem to remember the DEFATO was simulated as the 'dead' engines were left thrusting albeit at idle.

simulated flapless = (actual) flapless = a question of choice

just another jocky
3rd May 2007, 18:33
Ignoring the thread creep := the IP in the back was the one and only...I guess we can't mention names can we? I was an IP at TTTE at the time of the incident. Claimed he 'knew' that he hadn't been given clearance and was just seeing how far the student would go before he took control. If that was the case, then I would suggest that he took control a little late and not fully in control if you look at the change in alpha as the jet starts the overshoot. Tok him by surprise too methinks.

Just bloody good luck that the Command Flight Safety Team were there videoing the F3 formation...;)

ATCO17
3rd May 2007, 18:48
Just another......bumped into a familiar face in the Gents' loo in the mess at Valley (Of all places!) a few weeks ago......Do you remember Gilbert?

Rgds A17

Burritto
3rd May 2007, 19:54
Crew in the F3 was a 29 Sqn crew (OCA and OCB Flt at the time) and the GR was completing a practise single-engine approach. They had been told to overshoot high with one on for departure. Overshoot was a little late using the one 'simulated' good engine, with the second at idle, and the height was obviously much lower than intended. The guys in the F3 hadn't realised quite how close they had been to the tail of their aircraft :rolleyes: so ended up subsequently taking off and continuing the sortie - they were a little more than shocked when the FS team showed them the video later that day. A few sh***y phonecalls waiting for the GR crew on their return home.

BEagle
4th May 2007, 07:01
Simulated engine failure - engine brought to idle power (or turboprop to zero thrust)

Practice engine failure - serviceable engine shut down in flight.

Practice abnormal configuration approach or practice forced landing - operating the aircraft as though the appropriate system had actually failed.

Topofclimb
4th May 2007, 09:56
Just to put the facts straight on this one,

I've no idea who was in the jet on the runway (Coningsby) although i believe OC Ops was involved.

The filming was for the local TV, think it was BBC East Midlands, and totally accidental in terms of filming the Cottesmore jet.

The overshooting jet was a clean GR1 from Cottesmore flown in the front by a German pilot-who was not very good. The IP (intructor pilot), was not a QFI, as Cottesmore had various nationalities teaching and a simple C to I (competant to instruct) certificate was all that was required. I'm not sure what all OCUs do but the ones I've been on ONLY use QFIs for the early sorties for obvious reasons.

The aircraft was practising a Mech Mode approach, on an early sortie, using a degraded mode of the "fly by wire" system. The low overshoot was simply a mistake by the handling pilot and a case of taking over TOO late by the IP. Something that most, if not all, Tucano QFIs will have fallen foul of at some time in the past. Because the aircraft was in Mech Mode, on overshoot, the "hasty" application of full power and up elevator caused an excessive nose rotation which you can see on the film. Not dangerous in itself as long as the aircraft is light and has full power selected but does look quite exciting!

The IP learnt a useful lesson that day!

BluntM8
4th May 2007, 10:35
The IP identified a useful lesson that day.
We're part of the MoD. We don't have to learn them anymore...:E

ThemightyV
6th May 2007, 19:30
Elevator? Come on, get with it, Tornados don't have elevators. There again, there's always teething problems with new aircraft!

Topofclimb
7th May 2007, 08:23
Tailerons, CSAS, SPILS, spoilers:eek: We would all have to learn Tornado speek.