PDA

View Full Version : Chicken****

MrBernoulli
3rd May 2007, 10:16
It is possible that this may have been mentioned on these forums before but I bring it back as the state of the Armed Forces seems to be full of it more than ever. I certainly remember having to deal with plenty of it from small-minded jobsworths who wouldn't know which end of a weapon (any weapon) not to point at one's self ....... never mind military ethos! Does this sound familiar? :ok:

“Chicken**** refers to behaviour that makes military life worse than it need be: petty harassment of the weak by the strong; open scrimmage for power and authority and prestige; sadism thinly disguised as necessary discipline; a constant ‘paying off of old scores’; and insistence on the letter rather than the spirit of ordinances. Chicken**** is so called – instead of horse- or bull- or elephant **** – because it is small-minded and ignoble and takes the trivial seriously.”

Extract from 'Wartime: Understanding and Behaviour in the Second World War' by Paul Fussell (Oxford University Press, 1989)

c-bert
3rd May 2007, 10:20
Having a bad day Dan? :)

MrBernoulli
3rd May 2007, 10:22
Who the f*** is Dan?

c-bert
3rd May 2007, 10:23
Daniel f*****g Bernoulli :hmm:

MrBernoulli
3rd May 2007, 10:35
No, MR Bernoulli to you. :)

c-bert
3rd May 2007, 10:41
With due concern that this is turning into one of the worst threads on Pprune...

No, "Mr Bernoulli to you, SIR" :E

Anyway, back to topic, I don't think the armed forces are unique with respect to irritating jobsworth :mad: s who annoy the living :mad: out of every sensible person they come into contact with. They are just part of life and should be treated with the degree of importance they deserve.

TheHogwartsBEngO
3rd May 2007, 10:58
having spent 6 years in the military and nearly a year in the real world, I can confirm that both have their share of petty jobsworths. :mad:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
3rd May 2007, 17:19
If you think the military is bad, then you need to cast an eye over the landscape of Corporate America := :ugh: :{ :ouch:

...though from reading prune for a while, I believe you may actually be seeing some of it already

sprucemoose
3rd May 2007, 18:17
Try being a bloody journalist! :\

PICKS135
3rd May 2007, 22:14
try working for your local council

Flight Detent
4th May 2007, 02:56
...or, PICS135,

being subject to your local council !!!!!

Cheers, FD :ugh:

MrBernoulli
4th May 2007, 18:35
'Taking the trivial seriously.' Yep, I reckon that does sum up your average local council. Good call!

johnny99
4th May 2007, 20:10
I thought chicken **** was the **** you put on hangar floors to keep the Giraffes from skidding about and pranging an ac so as to avoid having to get the king dick from stores!

John Purdey
4th May 2007, 20:19
Of all the useless, pointless threads.......