PDA

View Full Version : Guest Accounts on XP

NG708
3rd May 2007, 09:21
Hoping someone knows a bit about these!

I've recently set up a Guest logon account on my PC so other people can use it without trawling through our personal files.

However I haven't managed to work out how to give it internet access. I have a permanent broadband connection and I thought I'd copied or shared everything. However the 'connect to' tab doesn't show up on the guest account and any attempt to create an internet connection refers me to an administrator.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks.

Saab Dastard
3rd May 2007, 11:46
With a permanent BB connection, what's to set up?

Surely you just open IE (or whatever) and away you go?

Perhaps you should describe how you set up the guest account, and describe your internet access solution - direct to modem / via router / internet connection sharing etc.

SD

3rd May 2007, 15:18
I agree with what Saab Dastard said: we can't help you much without that information.

Perhaps the following information might help:

1. I have connected a PC (with an ethernet card) through an ADSL router, and everything "just works." You don't have to set up the internet connection on the PC.

2. I have also connected a PC (without an ethernet card) at another house using a USB broadband modem. That PC also has a Guest account, which is capable of accessing the Internet. I remember that I didn't have to do anything specific to the Guest account. Instead, I had to choose "Set up this Internet Connection for All Users" when I first set it up in the Administrator account. This is from memory, so I can't give you details of where to find that option. Perhaps you've set up your connection for just the "current user."

Hope this helps.

NG708
3rd May 2007, 18:04
Fair enough!:)

I've just had another look and it seems Norton was blocking it somehow.

SD was right, if I disable Norton in the administrator mode, it allows a browser window to be opened in the guest account, which then connects to the internet.

The only thing is that it will not allow the 'block internet' function on Norton Firewall to be used by the guest account. However this is a minor problem.

The connection is direct to a D-link DSL200 modem. I changed the settings to 'allow internet connection for all users' from the administror side and that seems to have solved it.

Thanks for the help!