PDA

View Full Version : High oil pressure

MFALK
14th Sep 1999, 22:07
If in a Cessna 172, the indicated oil pressure is above the green arc during take-off, climb, and cruise, and only comes within the green arc when descending at or near idle power, is that an indication of an engine problem or is a higher than normal oil pressure acceptable? I am assuming that oil temperature indication remained in the green in all phases.

Thanks for any info.

airmail
15th Sep 1999, 04:44
Whilst it's been awhile since I've flown a Cessna (or any LA) and I'm not a professional pilot, I think that you will find that if the pressure rises at the particular points that you've mentioned but the temp stays within the green then you have either a pump or hose problem.

Like I say it's been a while so I'm willing to get shot down on this one!

MEL
15th Sep 1999, 09:51
Depending upon the year of man. (i.e if its older than the new series) I suggest you get an independent gague to check the pressure.
Calibration og GA gagues is poor - However watch the oiltemp gague this will show you the extreme of no oil.

rnobson
15th Sep 1999, 19:44
Any Maint organization can easily fix that if they consider it "over pressure" can be done in 5 mins

Vx
16th Sep 1999, 16:11
Whats the trend - did it start from zero time, after maintanence, or develop while flying ?

MFALK
16th Sep 1999, 20:53
It's a new (overhauled), just-installed engine.

Vx
26th Sep 1999, 14:47
Oil pressure PROBABALY high due to normal tight bearing clearences with the new engine. Ask the engineer because at least he will appreciate a pilot telling him and asking a question.

MFALK
27th Sep 1999, 04:18
Thanks for the info.! Appreciated.

LearX
18th Nov 1999, 05:24
I had the same problem in a 1978 C172, the gauge was riding on the red but the mechanics say is better to have high oil pressure than low oil pressure. Anywayz, in the end, the mechanics found that one of the students put in a thicker grade of oil in the plane which I assume damaged the gauge. I left my job soon after so I didn't really know the outcome.

Ace on Base
18th Nov 1999, 15:05
Tend to agree with Vx, Think that your oil pressure guage needs tweeking down a tad!!( 5 minute job )
Also keep in mind after that with some of the 172's I have had the unpleasure of strappin myself to, Oil pressure quite often rides over the red line on t/off, and climbout, and reads high in the green in the cruise anyway, has alot to do with oil temp being "in the green" on the ground, but the oil may still be a little thick!!

whats a typical ambient temp of the location your flying at?

Ace on Base
18th Nov 1999, 15:06
Tend to agree with Vx, Think that your oil pressure guage needs tweeking down a tad!!( 5 minute job )
Also keep in mind after that with some of the 172's I have had the unpleasure of strappin myself to, Oil pressure quite often rides over the red line on t/off, and climbout, and reads high in the green in the cruise anyway, has alot to do with oil temp being "in the green" on the ground, but the oil may still be a little thick!!

whats a typical ambient temp of the location your flying at?

regards

"keep Smilin' Sunshiners"

TwoDeadDogs
19th Nov 1999, 05:43
Hi there,
Several possibilities:being new,it'll settle down after a few more hours or the oil pressure relief valve(depending on the Lycoming model fitted) may need tweaking.Five minute job.
Regards
TwoDeadDogs

------------------
Drink,gurls,****,arse...