PDA

View Full Version : Internal Attitude Survey

endplay
3rd May 2007, 07:45
Just out on the Defence Intranet. I take it 7% of officers post on pprune then.

74 per cent of RAF officers, and 64 per cent airmen are satisfied with the frequency of their operational deployments. 93 per cent of officers and 85 per cent of aircrew say that they have enjoyed their life in the RAF

The Unknown Stuntman
3rd May 2007, 08:06
That not what I said when they asked me!!!

Lafyar Cokov
3rd May 2007, 08:23
I think when that survey was being taken I must have been away.........again!!!!!!!!!!

Compressorstall
3rd May 2007, 08:49
"Say you were standing with one foot in the oven and one foot in an ice bucket. According to the percentage people, you should be perfectly comfortable." ~Bobby Bragan, 1963
Bearing in mind that it is only about 30% of the Regular RAF that deploys frequently on ops, then perhaps 74% of officers and 64% of airmen are content. Having seen recent presentations by the Big Cheeses, we are all apparently happy with pretty much everything - pay, detachments, uniforms, leave etc...
So what's the truth? Is the PPrune population part of the bleeding hearts where the grass is never green enough, or is the oftten discussed overstretch/high operational tempo biting but our grown-ups are in denial? A recent presentation I saw stated that PVR isn't a problem, and that it's only families that make us leave - you'd all better hope that the Air Force Board hasn't been watching the film 300 about the Spartans where they all indulged in obsessive male bonding and rampant man love to keep the unit identity. I'm not sure I could pull off wearing the leather shorts any more, and where would I keep my pen on the exciting staff tours I get to do? However, it may be that the RAF Rucksack is enough of a unifying factor... Perhaps we could run our own survey. What was the Armed Forces Federation supposed to do again?:ugh:

plans123
3rd May 2007, 09:36
I don't know anyone who's had one of these surveys in years. Maybe they're getting new entrants at Cranwell and Halton to fill them in.

ManOverhead
3rd May 2007, 09:37
I've only been surveyed when flying a very non=operational desk and can go home every night. Do they have a PI to ensure they survey 90% of desk bound people? I suppose we have the time to fill the :mad: things in.

Has anyone on Ops/deployed been surveyed?

MOh

nimblast
3rd May 2007, 10:45
74 per cent of RAF officers, and 64 per cent airmen are satisfied with the frequency of their operational deployments. 93 per cent of officers and 85 per cent of aircrew say that they have enjoyed their life in the RAF
ISK must account for the other 26 per cent of officers and 36 per cent of airmen then.
I have filled in 2 surveys in the last 12 months neither were positive!!
The results that aircrew have enjoyed their life in the RAF may be correct, but if you replace HAVE enjoyed with the words ARE enjoying, life in the RAF now. The response may be slightly differnt.
As far as I am aware, PVR rates for people that have reached or passed their pension point, do not show up in the retention figures, something to do with the fact that you have completed your pensionable engagement.
As everyone knows stats can show any point of view you want depending upon the selective use of the figures.
Are the surveys and percentage breakdown for each seperate question reponses published for general viewing.?

WhiteOvies
3rd May 2007, 11:13
I've seen these Internal Attitude Surveys a couple of times. The difference is that now I am away form the frontline I have TIME to fill it in. Previously it went into the 'not important tray' which eventually was emptied into the recycling. Lies, damn lies and statistics anyone???

MostlyHarmless
3rd May 2007, 11:52
Do they say how many replied? 74% is pretty meaningless without context :)

Olly O'Leg
3rd May 2007, 16:04
And this is nothing new - it says something about PVR rates when I joined my first sqn in 2002, it was referred to as "Jurassic Park" and in 2 years, we were nearly 70% diluted. I remember on one of my interviews, we were told "Right, you're middle management `cos there's no-one else" and so 4 first-tourists, each with only 2 years on the front-line, took up the mantle. When I left, apart from the sqn QFI and execs, I was the most senior pilot. And that was a similar occurrence on the other sqns in the fleet.

Of course not measuring PVR rates past the pension point is not an indicator of experience, which is what we're starting to lack. When I left the sqn, we had enough knowledge from the experienced guys to pass down, but now it's that knowledge that, in the subsequent years, has now diluted and is still being passed down. Of course I understand that experience is regained on work-ups and detachments.

Something wrong with the stats peeps, if you ask me.

There was a thread a while ago that related to the sexual discrimination questionnaire that went around - some people who seemed to be in the know suggested that if you over-stepped the mark in these surveys, then the proverbial would fall from above. Any experiences of come-back from these questionnaires?

:ugh:

toddbabe
5th May 2007, 17:52
One detachment to the dusty place is too many! bloody pointless ****hole where people are dying in scores needlessly every day.
Tony Blair is going to make £ 10 million in book deals and after dinner speeches, ****!

LFFC
9th May 2007, 23:01
WhiteOvies:"I've seen these Internal Attitude Surveys a couple of times. The difference is that now I am away form the frontline I have TIME to fill it in. Previously it went into the 'not important tray' which eventually was emptied into the recycling. Lies, damn lies and statistics anyone???"

Lie, damn lies and statistics indeed!

Vage Rot
10th May 2007, 20:25
Don't know about the Attitude Survey but had some fun with the EO/women in the workplace survey a few months ago!!!

No then darling, cut along and do the dusting and let the big boys play with the aeroplanes!!:oh:

TurbineTooHot
11th May 2007, 13:41
I love being told I'm happy.....

Not that I'm not:E

Biggus
12th May 2007, 08:55
I heard the other day from an AMP rep that if a survey isn't returned the assumption by the 'airships' is that since it wasn't returned you must be happy with your lot! So take this example:

10,000 surveys are sent out. 4,000 are returned - which at a 40% return rate is actually pretty good compared to historic norms. Of those 4,000, 3,000 replies are negative in nature - saying 'this is rubbish' or whatever.

To you and me, we would say 3,000 out of 4,000, i.e 75%, of people surveyed are unhappy. But the 'airship' approach is that 3,000 out of 10,000, i.e 30% are unhappy, but 70% are happy, and there is therefore no need to change anything.

The comment from the AMP rep was accompanied by a plea to return all surveys you receive................

LFFC
12th May 2007, 15:06
It's a perfectly reasonable assumption, governments are elected on the same basis. If you don't use the means available to raise or resolve greivances, aside from the usual moans for the sake of moaning, you can't convincingly claim that you do have them.

Reasonable? You've got to be kidding!

I suspect that it will now be only a short while before some reporter asks a FOI question and the real figures emerge. :8

Biggus
13th May 2007, 08:01
civobs

Taking your comment reference electing governments, playing devil's advocate, .......

Of those that bothered to return their 'survey' at the last election, i.e vote, I believe approx 62% didn't vote for the party that is currently in power.....

In fact, thinking about it, I suppose I have just proved that your comments are correct!! It would appear that the majority opinion of those that return thier survey is ignored as much in the selection of government as in any internal RAF survey......!!!!!