PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Shortage - Canada/uk Passports Welcomed??

galdian
3rd May 2007, 02:43
No doubt my ignorance however was not aware the "pilot shortage" in Australia was to a point where foreign pilots are now required.

Having a look at FI and on May 1st Surveillance Australia through Cobham Flight Ops is advertising for DEC Dash 8 Captains, Line and C/T, bases Broome & Darwin.

Applicants only from passport holders of Oz, NZ (that's all fine and pretty standard) but also CANADA and UK??

What's the story??

Bula
3rd May 2007, 02:46
Cant find crew with contract minimums for the Dash Fleet expansion which is meant to be kicking in about now. Most C&Ts have left so they are in a little bit of a pickle.

hot tuna
3rd May 2007, 02:56
I writing to my PM, how dare they employ foreigners. Whatever next .Qantas recruitment open day at Heathrow .:}

bushy
3rd May 2007, 04:15
It's all to do with money. Do you think they will employ Australians who need training if they can get qualified pilots from overseas?

galdian
3rd May 2007, 04:57
My query is - I wasn't aware that foreigners (excluding those special people from over the Tasman) have any right to just walk in, be given an Oz licence to fly Oz registered aircraft, residency and begin flying aircraft in Australia.

Without getting into the UK "grandfather" qualifications I'd lay odds I couldn't walk into Canada or the UK and do the same.

Or has there been a minor industrial ""disagreement" in Oz that I've somehow missed?? :ooh:

Shot Nancy
3rd May 2007, 05:42
My query is - I wasn't aware that foreigners (excluding those special people from over the Tasman) have any right to just walk in, be given an Oz licence to fly Oz registered aircraft, residency and begin flying aircraft in Australia.

Without getting into the UK "grandfather" qualifications I'd lay odds I couldn't walk into Canada or the UK and do the same.

Or has there been a minor industrial ""disagreement" in Oz that I've somehow missed??

It all started in the year that cant be mentioned.

Ansett also did it to get the Kendell RJ up and running.

phantom menace
3rd May 2007, 07:10
Didn't see you boyz moaning too much when Branson using his millions set up VB. I thought the poms whinged.....it's a global market ...time to get a Delsey.

Jawz
4th May 2007, 00:30
If businesses can't source the employees from the local market, they are able to employ and sponsor overseas applicants. Take a look at Doctors in Australia, or Teachers in the UK.

I find it very amusing watching ppruners celebrate that there is a pilot shortage, but like "phantom" says, "It's a global market.

The minute Airlines have advertised and are unable to source crews from within Australia, They will go OS.

I am not agreeing with the situation, but I gained a work visa from another country and that is how it works.

Erin Brockovich
4th May 2007, 01:11
Not going to be a problem in Australia. Having a look at this (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/313681_pilotshortage30.html) article it seems that we may be the ones getting poached.

The study suggests that the number of pilots required globally in the next 20 years will double. Other countries will be having a harder time than us to find pilots locally. If our airlines start to source pilots from OS, it won’t be for long.

AerocatS2A
4th May 2007, 01:45
It's all to do with money. Do you think they will employ Australians who need training if they can get qualified pilots from overseas?
I don't think so. The difference in training required for a pilot without a Dash 8 endorsement and one with an endorsement is minimal. They still have to do the Coastwatch ground course, and enough sim sessions to get up to speed with SAPL procedures. The line training takes just as long as well.

The fact is, there is a shortage of suitably qualified Australian pilots who are interested in flying a Dash 8 out of Darwin and Broome.

Not sure how the overseas guys would get on with a Customs security clearance, I thought you needed to be an Aus citizen.