PDA

View Full Version : Career In Ground Ops?

fantaman
2nd May 2007, 22:09
Evening all,

I'm currently looking at all my future career options and one of the career paths I think I might enjoy is working in ground ops at a civil airport.

I'm currently the deputy flight ops manager at an RAF air traffic control tower where I help deal with the day to day running of all things airfield as well as looking after 15 chaps who work under me.

I'm wondering if I can transfer any of my current talents into civvy street.

BCU duties
Met observer trained (Met College, Exeter)
Helicopter and Fxd Wing Marshalling
Tower Assistant
Runway Caravan Controller
Flight and Route Planning
Airfield Driving
Runway, Surface and Airield Inspections

Obviously I know not all are tranferable to civil jobs and those above are just a few. Does anyone know where I can fit things like this into a job in civvy street. Fingers crossed there might be a few ex RAF guys who are already in a job.

Whats the pay like aswell?

Many thanks folks :ok:

merlinxx
3rd May 2007, 07:26
Suggest ctc Jeppesen UK @ the UK address, data available at www.jeppesen.com (http://www.jeppese,com). Also try www.aviationjobsearch.com (http://www.aviationjobsearch.com). Jepp have placed adds for Military Customer Support & various other Flt planning roles etc. Jeppesen products, especially Jetplan/Metplan is used by most all NATO Air Forces, OZ & NZ, South American, Gulf Royal Flts etc. Many ex RAF personnel are now in middle & senior management through JeppUK. Good luck.

Schmoogle
30th May 2007, 14:40
Hi There,

I'm also ex forces with a similar background to yourself. Currently have 9 years ops experience working for various airlines. Have been mainly involved in flight/fuel planning, flight watch, applying for overflight permits, handling/fuel etc, and dealing with schedule disruption. Ops pay starts around 20 k, but not sure about airfiled ops. Keep your eyes in aviationjobserach.com, all kinds of stuff on offer there. As an ex forces guy, you are attractive to a lot of employers. Dust off/update yr cv, and good luck. But expect some dissapointment and turn downs, the key is to keep at it. Someone out ther loves you, you just have to find them...

Best Regards

aeromaniac1
31st May 2007, 14:44
and what's about moving abroad? do you know a bit of Spanish. I know one company that is currently recruiting lots of new staff for their base in Palma de Mallorca in Spain. They are called FUTURA International Airways and due to their rapid growth they are always on the lookout for new people to join their team.

Check out their web and post them you CV.

aeromaniac1
4th Jun 2007, 12:51
Actually, you don't even need to speak Spanish. They require only English and that's all. So if you fancy moving to the sunny Spain the way is open.

regards

Commander1
4th Jun 2007, 17:34
Do you know how I could apply for a position with Futura? Is it true that you only need to know English?

aeromaniac1
5th Jun 2007, 15:44
Email them your CV via their website.

Go to http://www.futura-aer.com/index_en.php and then click on the section "Professionals" and then press the button "Join Futura". There will apear a form to fill out with your details. Don't worry about it, don't bother with that form, just simply post them you CV in pdf or doc format by email to the email address that you will find on that page: [email protected] ([email protected])

And that's it. You have to wait until they contact you. And if within the next few days they don't reply, just give them a call on +34 971 459 171 and have a chat with them about the job.

From time to time they also have some jobs poping up in Dublin in Ireland for their Irish subsidiary: Futura Gael. Perhaps you could hook up over there.

Good luck mate

Jimmy Connors
7th Jun 2007, 04:25
Hi Fantaman,

Have you ever done 'blip driving'? If so, have you ever considered Saudi Arabia? Or, are you a qualified ATC instructor?
If you have, give me a shout, we may have positions here you may be interested in, salary is around £30K+, plus benefits for the blip drivers, more for the instructors.

Cheers and good luck..

OpsMan38
29th Jun 2007, 12:59
I'm about to start recruiting for ops positions that would suit your background. As an ex RAF man who is now happy as pig in muck I can offer starting salary around £23k if you (or anyone you know) is interested....

Good luck.......:)

plans123
2nd Jul 2007, 09:46
Opsman38 - Check yer PM's :ok:

Sinjmajeep
4th Jul 2007, 17:47
Can anyone tell me what qualifications that the Major airlines look for when advertising Dispatchers or ops jobs?