PDA

View Full Version : Corporate Job Entry Requirements

Wee Weasley Welshman
22nd Aug 1999, 18:51
So what do you need to breakinto this world then? All the focus for wannabes such as myself is on what the regional TP boys are looking for. The general perception I have is that you need a type rating and a zillion hours before you can get hired to fly Corporate/GA etc. Is this correct?

I speak as a 900hr QFI looking to make that first jump.

gaunty
23rd Aug 1999, 17:06
There was a thread on this forum a couple of weeks ago but when I went to reset the last x days thingy to find it it (the last x days thingy ) wasn't there. But I guess you will know how to do that.
I'll check back later to see if you've found it if not we can start again.
Good luck.
In 25 words or less
Timing, timing and being in the right place at the right time.

For example a visit to the Netjets page I think Netjets.com is a mine of info and careers in a very professional operation.
There are Ppruners in that org too.
I believe Paulheim1 may be able to help with some advice re US

[This message has been edited by gaunty (edited 23 August 1999).]

Daifly
24th Aug 1999, 00:25
WWW - you could always have asked me!

It all depends on what the a/c the Operator flies. For us, the baby of the fleet is the BE20 - with so many operators of this type in the UK, we tend to recruit people who work for other companies and have the type rating. Our lowest hour pilot has just topped 400 - so from that aspect you do stand a chance. The Lear's tend to be the next step up for the BE20 drivers and we tend to move Effohs up. Captain are a different matter, and wouldn't worry you at this stage - I mean that nicely! If you were to join an outfit away from the South East where the majority of operators are (and I think you should have a clue what base I'm referring to here!) then it tends to be people moving to their first commercial position after Flying Schools.
So basically - it's who you know for the first bit, and then the experience seems to be fairly irrelevant!

Hope this is of use - look forward to seeing your CV!

Daifly.

Wee Weasley Welshman
24th Aug 1999, 00:25
Have read everything posted on the forum ever. It all seems rather ad hoc. No general established pattern or common min requirements. Shame.

What I would really like (this is childish and greedy but I make no apologies) is to have no 'experience gap' in my flying career. I've been pretty up close and personal with military flying. I am presently an instructor. I'd like to tick off everything else along the way. Light charter, regional airline, major international, corporate/bizjet and finally end up with my own little aeoplane to retire with.

Unless you've tried everything you're always left with 'what-ifs' etc. etc.

Cheers, WWW

Air Driven Generator
24th Aug 1999, 14:11
WWW, GA and Corporate Flying is great providing you like to work hard. I started off working in operations for a FBO at Heathrow and as you say it's who you know and
being at the right place at the right time.
I had 900 hours and no jet time when I got going, 3 years on now flying a CL604, averaging approx 1000 hours per year.
Being a corporate company we have to file our own Flight Plans, Downroute Handling, Overflight Clearances,Catering Etc..
But it's great fun, if you like that sort of thing. Good Luck!!

Wee Weasley Welshman
24th Aug 1999, 21:19
900hrs and no jet time - sounds familiar!!

ps thanks to those you have emailed tips - beers on the bar

Keymaster
25th Aug 1999, 23:18
OI welshman good luck, but with 500+ pprune posts the best advice is, get out more!!!

------------------
You pays your money you takes your sheep

Keymaster
25th Aug 1999, 23:21
Only kidding WWW , dont take offence, I started with my current company with 600 hrs now have 1450 and a SMALL killing away from command. so life not to bad, just knowing people is worth weight in gold, (or glod)
Look for the c500s using welshpool or similar ask talk, we are human (at least some of us, besides alcohol is a great leveler, hint hint.

------------------
You pays your money you takes your sheep

Daifly
26th Aug 1999, 00:31
I think a C500 using Welshpool would be the biggest turn up for the books ever!

No Public Transport - Special Cat Fire Cover and I can't honestly remember many other C500's in the UK operating privately, though you may like to correct me!

Turbo Commander is the regular one!

Wee Weasley Welshman
26th Aug 1999, 01:35
Now then Daifly - about getting me a job...

Air Driven Generator
26th Aug 1999, 12:46
C550 opeartors are, IDS in BOH, Chauffair and Siebe at Farnborough. Kwik Fit also have a Citation not too sure where it's based.

Air Driven Generator
26th Aug 1999, 12:46
C550 opeartors are, IDS in BOH, Chauffair and Siebe at Farnborough. Kwik Fit also have a Citation not too sure where it's based.

Air Driven Generator
26th Aug 1999, 12:49
Whoops Finger trouble!!

Meeb
26th Aug 1999, 21:39
Kwik Fit with a citation?? Last I knew they had a C90 based at Edinburgh, being flown Private cat to boot...

Daifly
27th Aug 1999, 02:08
Oh please, facts Gentlemen please...

C550s Chauffair, LEA, Gold Air, Siebe (Private), Manhattan (Rumour!), Hamlin Jet (US Reg) - that's just about it really.

Kwikfit operate a C525 (CitationJet) - BE20's gone a long time ago.

Boring things to know really - but useful I hope!

CLmaximum
27th Aug 1999, 13:29
I used to work for the GEC group and travelled from Barrow to Glasgow on what was the GEC plane - King Air I think.

The aircraft was originally a Vickers Shipbuilding & Engineering Ltd corporate and had regular routes from Barrow to Glasgow, RAF base North of London, Bristol / Bath for MOD offices and the odd trip to Europe to pick up visiting Admirals.

I don't know if it is still there as I left nearly three years ago.

Daifly
27th Aug 1999, 22:06
Yep, they have a BE20 (for sale I hear) and so do Vickers. G-ECAV and G-VSBC - no I'm not really a spotter - just what I do for a job. Honest!

morgz
28th Aug 1999, 03:17
So how does an antipodean Grade 1 Instructor chief pilot of a C525 op with 6000 various hours fit into the European market?

Keymaster
30th Aug 1999, 01:39
Daifly:

Ok so c500s in welshpool will never be a regular occurrance but don't forget from your list of operators
c500 oxero, c550 Scottish and Newcastle beer(EDI) C525 Raynard Motorsport car type thing people.

We really could do with a biz jet database but word of mouth might have to do for just know.