PDA

View Full Version : Dress Code

Bendo
25th Jul 1999, 17:21
When we started our little operation, the owner said "Don't worry about wearing any of that poofy pilot $hit Bendover, just be clean & tidy and that'll do".

Now, the boss is a bit of a character and a bit of a Diamond in the rough. But I was still taken aback when the Chief Pilot of the local RPT mob (the world's oldest working RPT Pilot)had a go at me for not dressing in Blues.

What I wear in my operation is my own business, but I wonder what other PPRuNer's think - should all pilots dress like pilots all the time?

------------------------------------------
Bendo. Epaulette-Free zone.

Island Air
26th Jul 1999, 00:56
Yes

redsnail
26th Jul 1999, 02:34
Whoever pays you has the final say. If the boss is happy with your appearance then so be it.

------------------
reddo
1000 posts and still going

gaunty
26th Jul 1999, 06:28
Tuff one that.

Boss is boss is boss ie.

Except when you are in command of that aircraft.

I reckon I know your boss, not personally, but he is of that mould and almost certainly a beaut bloke too. He will king of all he surveys.

Except when he is in your aircraft. The law recognises this and provides the black letter authority and the penalties if you don't exercise your authority.

That's where you are the boss, and I suspect that you would not get any argument from your boss. But it's not your boss you have to worry about its other staff, his business friends and aquaintances that might question that little concept. How do you reinforce this with them when necessary without causing offence, thats the trick.

We, the human race we, are for the most part programmed to respect authority which is usually identified by badge or uniform and also provides them with comfort and confidence if it also indicates a measure of proficiency/achievement.
The badge or uniform provide a means of identification to the passenger when he is in and around the aircraft and yes Chieftain, Cessna 152 or B747 the guy in the left hand seat is the Captain with all the responsibilties that entails. One pax or 450 the responsibilty is exactly the same.

Especially when their ****holes are connected to an aircraft which for most people including a lot of pilots are still considered unnatural acts.

I bet the boss and his mates wear a uniform everyday that marks them out in their particular world.

In this context the oldest RPT captain in the world might be right.

If it is an ego thing then the boss is right,

If handled with grace and the force of your own professionalism an apprpriate uniform might just make the difference on the day when it counts.

I'll bet if you have this discussion with the boss as to why you think this will make his ops a little safer he'll twig straight away.

It is a bit of a mind thingy.
Personally,
Wings maybe
Epaulettes mandatory in and around the aircraft and airstrip. People are nervous in this environment and appreciate having someone around that they can identify with.
Outback neat tidy (khaki) collar at least, you're gonna hate this, but long sleeves and trousers for workplace safety reasons and if you're carrying and unloading cargo appropriate safety boots. The AME won't renew your medical if you can't walk into andout of the surgery.

Anyways that my reading??

Slasher
26th Jul 1999, 09:00
Cant say wether Im still in GA or not. The Co I fly for is more like a John Shonky Aero Club Pty Ltd but with 737s on the line. But the subject is uniforms.
Airline Co dressing is more to tell fellow employees who you are. In big companies no one knows everybody else so if an engineer is looking for a captain to yell at he will look for a dude with 4 bars. If the traffic staff are looking in the terminal for the captain he'll stick out in the crowd like dogs balls. So thats what I wear because the my boss wants it. Personally Id rather wear jeans and a Fly United Tshirt with the 2 ducks on it.
In my time in what is called GA I wore the stock standard kaki. This is because the boss told me to wear it. Later when I progresed to heavier metal the boss wanted me in black shoes business shirt and slacks. Ties off on a hot day. No wings, epalettes or any of that sh*t. So thats what I wore because the boss wanted it.
So its up to the employer as to what you wear.

Check-in
26th Jul 1999, 13:01
When you fly charter, ferry or corporate in places like India and Middle East, Asia etc,
everyone needs three or four bars just to move around the airports and get things done.
In the U.S.A. you get just as much respect in a tidy business suit, or shirt and tie
(the FBO marching/marshalling girls are more likely turned on by the amount of fuel your 'iron' guzzles). Only pilot dress code thing gets up my nose is 250 hour CPLs driving Aztecs and Barons in the full four bar Captain regalia, as this really is not appropriate to the weight of the iron. Two bars maybe, unless you take that Aztec to India, of course.

Corporate Yank
27th Jul 1999, 07:34
Tradition (at least here in the west hemi) always seemed to call for the traditional gray slacks/blue blazer (yucck belch). My outfit always wore business suits and seemed to fit in. American business has gravitated to "business casual" and our senior management has said so in writing. During "hot weather" we wear dress slacks with a neat golf shirt with company logo and everybody seems to be happy. It sure is a lot more comfortable on warm days, especially when you're heading for the golf course while waiting for pax. One thing comes back from an old corporate wizard--"LOOK LIKE YOUR CUSTOMERS"--food for thought-CY

MEL
27th Jul 1999, 10:20
Business leaders and executive can find the traditional airline unform of putting. They are paying top dollar for a service they expect a neat trim well groomed appearance.
My suggestion is as GA individual you don't need to liase with other company personnel, they know who you are, be neat not austentacious, be able to blend in with the group if invited to town or luch with them and above all be polite.

TASEsq
31st Jul 1999, 11:26
Hey Ho,

My faher works for an international company that operates a G5 from the US and internationally. It came out to Aus (Essendon actually) and i got a look inside and a talk to the pilots.
I think the company agrees that the traditional 'blues' is a bit off putting, and wanted to make their pilots look a little more friendly.
Their uniform consists of a normal grey double breasted business suit, with subtle bars around the cuffs. Normal white shirt, and a company tie. I'm pretty sure they don't wear a hat... It looks just like the PAX are wearing (Except the bars).

I reckon bendo, that you wear your 'blues' whilst around your boss, and lose as much as makes you comfortable when in the aircraft... After all 'it is the responsibility of teh PIC to ensure that the aircraft is operated safely', and if you think your uniform may have even an ounce of a change at degrading your performance due to being uncomfortable, don't wear it! Your boss can't argue! He can prolly sack you, but he can't argue!

:)

------------------
Useless Adj. 1.Fuel in the Bowser 2.Runway behind You 3.Air above You

Macintosh
10th Aug 1999, 08:24
The uniform is useful to quickly identify just who to blame if some crap hits the fan.

------------------
Mac

Vx
13th Aug 1999, 19:43
Call me old fashioned, but uniform shirt and bars, and no golf shirts, etc. Some pax feel happier to see it even if 70% are disinterested.
But please no bars, gold wings, & Raybans (& w*anker watch..) when buying lunch 15km from the nearest airport !
Been checked out on the cheese roll eh mate ??