PDA

View Full Version : Role call of Corporate Ppruners

gaunty
24th Jul 1999, 19:44
Should we have one for those who are brave enough to admit an association with this vibrant and legitimate part of Pro Flying.
There are those amongst us who have had PMs, Ministers, assorted Premiers (was able to halve TOW calcs due to hot air effect in these cases) and billionaires movers and shakers sitting behind us apart from the fair citizens of this country. All manner of really interesting people. On occasions the net worth of POB has been greater than some countries GNP.
As far as being professional and I DO NOT slight airline pilots when I say this, they are not allowed to as much as they would be capable of it, to go into situations such as last leg NGT VFR to a flare path in the middle of the desert at night no moon or horizon. Scary but for Corporate or call them GA pros's routine stuff . Different destination and route each flight, no route checking and airport currency here.
Stop the cringe Corporate, GA, call it what you like is as valid a career path as Airlines. How about the Master Instructors who have dedicated their whole working lives by choice, to teaching us morons how to avoid hitting the ground except when we choose to.
Hands up!!! and lets get Danny's new Forum buzzing

Bendo
25th Jul 1999, 08:34
** Raises Hand**

I presume that "flying to directly facilitate the business of a specific company or corporation" would be an acceptable definition, and weather you do it in a Chieftain or Citation X is irrellevant?

A few interesting stories to be told by all, I'm sure.

Like the time I flew the boss and two managers to a provincial capital, picked up six ladies, and delivered all to the boss' sheep station at Tilpa? Flight tracking of my flights is a security risk not due to the competition but because the wives of the Management might find out where we're going!

gaunty
25th Jul 1999, 15:48
Bendo good one! definition great for starters and yes Chieftain to Citation X whatever punishment fits the crime.

Captain R. Sole
25th Jul 1999, 18:09
I am not a Corporate or GA driver, just a Regional RPT bloke but I would like to say my little piece. For many years, I would have dearly loved to have become involved in Corporate flying and almost did quite some years back but with a lack of turbine hours at that time precluded me from doing so. Since then the not much in the way of job security has scared me off that I did not pursue it but I am very happy now. To me, I don't care whether one flys a Chieftain or a R22 helicopter mustering cattle, as I see it we are all in the same industry and all have our bit to share and offer others. Our Governments should be encouraging business to operate corporate aircraft instead of making it more of a disincentive, but alas, the tall poppy syndrome is alive and well in our beloved country. BTW, I recently had Mikhail Gorbachev (once the 2nd most powerful man in the world) on board when he was touring here giving a number of speeches around the country. Only a short and stumpy fellow but very polite and difficult to keep eye contact with him because of that infamous mark on his forehead. Gaunty, Bendo and all you other Corporate and GA folks, congrats on now having your own forum. Don't forget to keep poking your heads into the other forums (especially Dunnunda) and more importantly have fun and enjoy yourselves :)

gaunty
30th Jul 1999, 06:15
Thanks Capt R. Sole

Surely Bendo is not the only Corporate Ppruner in the world????

Hello

Is it because corporate types don't think that Pprune is them.

Professional Pilots are professional pilots regardless of whether the public or business is paying the bill.

Enroll a fellow professional corporate type today airline/corporate we can all learn from each other.

At I first I thought I had mispelled the topic Role instead of Roll it was freudian anyway as either way it works.

Role call= what are our characteristics or expected functions in this part of the industry.

Roll call=a process of calling out a list of names to see who is present.

C'mon guys
Sorry Danny I know we are not supposed to advertise solicit etc...

TASEsq
31st Jul 1999, 10:51
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if you might be able to answer a question for me? How do you get into Corporate Aviation? I mean sure there are charter companies that operate Citations (Or Chieftans for that matter) for corporate companies, but how do you go about getting a job flying say, for example, a G4 owned by a big conglomarate corporation? Do you drop in and see Soloman Lew himself, or does he have a subsidiary company with an AOC that you can go visit?

I think it would be a great environment, as it has the equipment of the major airlines (Or very similar, and in some cases more advanced!) but doesn't have the repetitive nature of RPT scheduled ops....

Thanks!!
:)

------------------
Useless Adj. 1.Fuel in the Bowser 2.Runway behind You 3.Air above You

gaunty
31st Jul 1999, 19:43
TASesq

That my friend is the $64,000 question.

For my part I started over 30 years ago when the modern GA industry in OZ was basically invented and just grew with it, different now, but unfortunately there is no defined career path in OZ to the left or right seat of the GV/Citation/Chieftain.
An Uni Aviation degree with some business management units would be a great start
But apart from having the basic quals it seems the 3 rules are
1. Perseverance
2. Timing
3. see Rules 1 & 2

Sometimes a bit of rat cunning doesn't hurt either

Come on Corporate Ppruners
lets hear your story for TASesq

rogerthatone
1st Aug 1999, 06:30
....and that old catch 22 - hours, sufficient prior experience engendering enough confidence for a senior corporate type to agree to you being hired. The more expensive and exotic the kit, generally the higher this bar is raised.

SID KNEE
1st Aug 1999, 16:36
I reckon, to get that elusive corporate job has alot to do with being in the right place at the right time and who you know!!!
You obviously wouldn't go straight onto something like a G4/5 or Global Express rather, start on something like the classic C500/550.
The corporate world itself is very small, where almost all corporate pilot's know one another....so to move on, "people" already there know who you are and where to find you.

charterpirate
2nd Aug 1999, 14:28
Not too many corporate or air taxi jocks around yet then, but I would happily admit to being one. Started 2 years ago and now command a fast piston twin and am FO on a large jet. Very interesting flying, always something different, and I believe the best grounding for an airline career in the near future.

As far as getting a job in this field, its all about right place and right time. I called up the company I work for at 10am, interviewed at 3pm, job at 4.45pm. Would happily recommend this line of flying, except perhaps the 24/7 standby's, and single crew IFR IMC nights!

Look forward to hearing from the rest of you, perhaps we can arrange meet ups at usual events, like F1 GP weekends etc?

charterpirate
2nd Aug 1999, 14:28
oops, sorry.

[This message has been edited by charterpirate (edited 02 August 1999).]

Keymaster
2nd Aug 1999, 23:45
Charterpirate: Marriot Hotel in budapest good start for a F1 pilots party, Theres plenty of us out there.
I totaly agree with gaunty, corporte flying is very different to airline. Self handlling , little or no support and going to some of the oddest places, but the safteyt standard and skill levels required are at least the same. How many airline pilots fly everyday with a pax who can sack them, sell the aeroplane and shutdown the flight dept all before lunch.
Ce la vie

gaunty
3rd Aug 1999, 06:53
I quote Keymaster
"How many airline pilots fly everyday with a pax who can sack them, sell the aeroplane and shutdown the flight dept all before lunch."

Gets up from floor holding sides from laughter after reading one of the best definitions of this crazy but great part of the industry I've ever heard.

Sort of puts a different perspective on the role of passenger too

------------------
I think I'll go have a Bex a Cuppa tea and a good lie down