PDA

View Full Version : Is being cabin crew means to have bad reputation?

lil_star
1st May 2007, 10:42
Dear friends ,

there are 2 many threads about cc recruitment but there is no topic about cabin crew members life. Please xchange with the problems you have faced being cc and after retirement.

thanks a lot

justD
1st May 2007, 11:40
Cabin Crew have bad reputation?????
Who told you that???
Well, at least I have never heard this before...

I personally never had any problems just because I am CC.

There are some health problems that could effect your future life, but there is a thread about that on this forum.

BestonBoard
1st May 2007, 12:34
Hi there,

Have you heard of crew having problems before???
I have been flying for just over a year now, and having come from quite a high paid 9 - 5 job to do this, I have never been happier.
What other job in the world pays you a half decent salary (I know some would disagree, but I used to have people working for me 40 hours a week monday to saturday earning £9,500 a year, with no such thing as flight pay or comission!)
They would have loved to pick up over a £1000 a month.

You meet some great people. I have made the best friends in my life. Most in the role have very similar personalities... heck that's why they are recruited.
Yes, if you work for a charter airline, be prepared to get the phone call at 2am calling you out for a flight, or reporting for a night BJV at 6 in the evening and not getting back to your bed til 11am the next morning...
But that's what makes it a great career....
Long haul is great... a days work.... a few days in a different destination and a days work back... being paid the whole time your there, plus seeing different sites, meeting new people and doing new things...

Obvioulsy the job isn't as glamourous as people would believe, dealing with sick, s#@t & p'~s (sicks#@t/p'~s) etc on regular occasions, medical emergencies, and of course... heaven forbid an SEP related emergency are what crew are trained for and there main purpose for being on board...

You either love it, or you don't... and you find out pretty quick which.
I'm not quite near retirement age yet, so I can't answer that, but I am aware of people who have left the industry and have obtained very good jobs (with no educational qualifications)... One girl I know is an area manager for Clinique beauty supplies now, company car, expenses account, the works.... I'd say there are plenty of opportunities out there.

As long as your flexible, adaptable and willing to give it a go, I'd say you'd make it up in the clouds!

Health wise... yeah, there are some proven facts, and a lot of hearsay about what flying does to you... if ya can deal with a bloated stomach and a dry nose (you can spot any crew member in their car after a flight! they'll be pickin their nose n fartin like a good un!) but touch wood, I haven't myself or anybody I know expererienced any major problems, and I know people that have been flying 20 + years!

As for a bad reputation... I think that depends on the person, and not the role they are in to be honest!

emboogie
1st May 2007, 15:20
(you can spot any crew member in their car after a flight! they'll be pickin their nose n fartin like a good un!) bestonboard

LOL that is soooooo true???
As for health wise I have heard nothing serious! the occasional kidney stones ouch!:mad:
on the plus side have a look at the cabin crew who have been flying for years and reaching retirement (was going to say the oldies but you have to be PC these days!!!!:\ ) they have great skin as we always drowning our selfs with bottles of water (anyone for water?):)

TopBunk
1st May 2007, 15:36
Technically, you are more likely to fart at altitude than when you descend back to earth!

As the cabin climbs to 8000 ft altitude, the gasses in your stomach expand, causing pressure to increase in the confined stomach. This needs releasing somehow, and there are only two places for it to escape from, the easiest results in farting. [Why do you think that cabin crew walk quickly down the cabin, leaving an odour lingering:p]

Descending back to earth works in the opposite direction.

Tasha_28
2nd May 2007, 01:35
Ooh i never knew this flatulant bit of info. :hmm:

Great topic haha

BA-FLY
2nd May 2007, 17:36
Lol , so true ! It just gets ..... well ya know GASSY !
x

haughtney1
2nd May 2007, 18:19
Trust me, its the crew food that gives you gas:E

I must admit to a bit of picking and flicking action on the drive home, farting is also known to happen with the windows down:8saves them getting blown out.....

Samya
3rd May 2007, 12:49
OmG! I always thought that Cabin Crew are so glamorous and high-flying, I never imagined they actually fart like we common humans do. LOL

This thread is taking a weird direction...

Vectors Req'd!
4th May 2007, 09:41
I guess thats why their is a severe lack of baked beans in the crew breakfast then!! Never enough left to dip the bread roll in!!

Better out than in (in most cases of course!!)
:rolleyes:

Dea Certe
5th May 2007, 14:41
Cabin crew most certainly do not fart. We call it "crop dusting". Why do you think we scurry up and down the aisles so quickly? :}

Dea

6chimes
6th May 2007, 00:08
And there is nothing like a good decompression po:mad: after a long flight.

sukigirl
7th May 2007, 10:01
This thread has turned into something disgusting and completely pointless.
This used to be a a really good forum for good dscussion about the industry and I have learnt a lot from other airlines and listened to many different views, some have made me see things in a different light.
However I have to say in the last couple of months it has seemed to have gone a little of track with worthless threads such as this one among many others.
I know there will be a back lash of "if you dont like it then leave" but i doubt I would bother to read them anyway. I'l leave you all now to get on with the toilet humour.

PPL152
7th May 2007, 10:14
I agree. This thread is pointless. Should be closed.

TightSlot
7th May 2007, 10:33
Actually, it was in the process of dying a natural death, albeit a protracted one, until the pair of you posted on it, thereby bumping it to the top and drawing everyone's attention to it once more!

For the time being, thread euthanasia is on hold - let's see if it can slide down the list on its' own. If not, the doctors will step in...

BTW
However I have to say in the last couple of months it has seemed to have gone a little of track with worthless threads such as this one among many others

Don't agree with you there, on a purely factual basis - however, as you mentioned, reading threads is not mandatory.

emboogie
7th May 2007, 12:08
Hello just wanted to say you took the words right out of my keyboard Tightslot:)

I know ive made this go up the thread page by doing this so whoops????
over and out x