PDA

View Full Version : MEDIVAC

AEROVISION
1st Dec 2001, 13:04
Hi there,
Anybody at this forum engaged in medical evacuation flights in the know about the do's and dont's transporting a patient which is in coma with a medivac aircraft?
Asked some doctors but they are somewhat reluctant to give an answer.
Thanks
AV

Daifly
1st Dec 2001, 15:14
Whatever you do - ask a Medical Repatriation Company!(www.healix.co.uk (or .com - can't remember))

I'm sure all of the repat pilots on here will have an idea, but I don't think they're all medically insured to tell you!

Will Rogers
2nd Dec 2001, 15:22
AEROVISION:
What exactly are you wanting to know. There are quite a few do's and dont's! :D

Will :p

pilot dude
3rd Dec 2001, 12:49
if you are talking about long distance medivac (medeteranian to north europe f.e.) this is what i think

My experience with medivac is that the doctors should tell you the do's and dont's cause the usually know, some patients have o be flown at SL (cabin SL anyway) and som dont

We always get a briefing from the doc, and my experience is that they only fly patiens wich are fairly stable.

But for the medical part it is always the doc's call, this is one of the few times that you are not fully responceble for a pax.

good luck PD

AEROVISION
3rd Dec 2001, 15:15
Hi there, thanks for replies.

At the moment, as we speak, 11.00 UTC the patient is flying from Egypt to Europe by medivac A/C. The family made that decision.
Reason for my posting was that the man's family which came over to Egypt, was kept in the dark by everybody on the subject of transportation.
The insurance company position was that they would authorize it but without any responsibility. The doctor at the departing end says that if the family insits he would authorize it but he was not sure.
Doctor at the receiving end says that he has to judge from the reports he got without seeing the patient, so a reluctant yes. But, if family insists... And they did and decided.

So, my question on this forum was more general, if somebody engaged in medivac operations has actualy flown such transport and what the specific difficulties were with such condition versus other emergencies.

As I said, they land in a few hours and hope all went well, but I am still curious.
Thanks and best regards
AV

Daifly
3rd Dec 2001, 21:17
It's very unusual for a medevac to take place with strict protocols being observed between current and receiving hospitals.

As pilot dude said, they'll generally only fly patients who are stable, otherwise it's only going to have very bad effects.

In the majority of cases there will be three sets of doctors involved. Those currently caring for the patient, those who will care for them back in the receiving hospital and those who will care for the patient during the flight.

If the patient is very ill, then the flight doctor sometimes travels down scheduled to assess the patient in-situ, before attempting to move them.

I'm sure everything will go well with the flight though.

AEROVISION
4th Dec 2001, 09:12
Hi there,
Patient was flown out yesterday after a few hours of arguments on procedures and treatments between on board doctor and hospital release doctor. They finally reached consensus and off they went.
Anyway, uneventfull landing and patient now is in hospital in stable condition. Good job by medivac team.
regards
AV