PDA

View Full Version : Fountain Pen

Beagle-eye
29th Apr 2007, 14:48
Bought Mrs. B-E a rather nice fountain pen for Christmas (gold nib cartridge type). She was on a flight to BHX last week and, after landing, discovered that her handbag was full of ink. :eek:

It has never leaked before but she cannot recall ever taking it on board an aircraft before.

Could it have anything to do with cabin pressure ? Has anybody else ever experienced this ?

B-E

A2QFI
29th Apr 2007, 15:01
SFAIK and assuming it is one those with a cartridge, the pressure in the pen will remain as at ground level, the cabin alt will fall to an equivalent of up to 8000 ft and the higher pressure in the pen will force the ink out into whatever pocket or handbag it is in.

Haven't a clue
29th Apr 2007, 16:56
Had to give up my trusty fountain pen years ago after each flight left an ever larger stain in my inside jacket pocket (the pen was horizontal in the folded jacket in the overhead bin) and the gunge usually spread to my shirt:{

Eventually worked out the pressure change was the cause.

Now I have to use a biro and no one can read my writing;)

Getoutofmygalley
29th Apr 2007, 17:04
Had a pax on one of my flights recently who was using a fountain pen when the ink just gushed out everywhere.

Her hands were completely covered in blue ink, fortunately she didn't get it on her clothes or the aircraft. We suspected it was the pressure change that caused it.

zed3
29th Apr 2007, 18:03
Hmmmm..... fairly regularily travel with a 'Red Spot' fountainpen in my hand baggage and have never had a problem - always in my bag in the overhead .

Beagle-eye
29th Apr 2007, 20:07
Thanks all. Sounds as if cabin pressure is the culprit and the advice should be to take a ball-point pen or, better still, pencil.

Cheers

B-E

TightSlot
29th Apr 2007, 22:04
One of the reasons behind the success of the ballpoint pen was its' suitability for use in aircraft cabins under pressure - see the Wiki entry here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%A1szl%C3%B3_B%C3%ADr%C3%B3)

Bangkokeasy
30th Apr 2007, 07:37
I nearly always travel with a fountain pen (a rotring) and have so far, not had a problem. I suppose if there was a decompression I might have one, but then a fountain pen would not be the first thing on my mind. :uhoh:

Dan Winterland
30th Apr 2007, 09:31
It's the air bubble in the cartrige/resevoir which is the problem. It will expand more than the ink and push the ink out through the nib. Two ways round this. Either ensure the resevoir is completely full or empty (no air means no expansion, no ink means no ink!) or store the pen inverted so that the nib is at the top. This means that when the air escapes, it will be at the closest point to the nib and no ink should be expelled.

Speaking from experience.

Haven't a clue
30th Apr 2007, 09:40
It's the air bubble in the cartrige/resevoir which is the problem

No you mention it I can't recall a problem when the pen was filled from a bottle of ink. The damage started when I switched to a cartridge filled pen (a present from a loved one, inevitably).

Of course the problem could be cured by reverting back to using ink bottles but getting the stuff through security might be tricky....:ugh:

DaveO'Leary
30th Apr 2007, 16:58
I recall a post on this site..NASA spent $$$ millions to develope a ink pen that would write in zero gravity, the Russians just used a pencil.:ugh:

Pax Vobiscum
30th Apr 2007, 21:02
You shouldn't believe everything you read on PPRuNe, Dave ;)
Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp)

Bushfiva
1st May 2007, 10:30
I'm a dedicated fountain pen user. I carry the pen nib up, tap the barrel a couple of times to make sure the air bubble is between the ink and the knib. When I remember, I put the pen in a cigar tube. Sometimes, it goes in a freezer bag with all the other "unexpected behaviour" bits. I've frequently omitted steps 2 and 3, but never step 1 and haven't had a leaky pen. I have had a biro go all unnecessary on me, though.

Bangkokeasy
2nd May 2007, 02:55
That would explain it then. I normally carry my pen in my pocket, i.e. vertical with the nib uppermost, so it might have expelled ink, but would only be so tiny an amount as to be unnoticeable.

I recall for the Fisher Space Pen, that most of the $$$$$ they spent was for the ink, mostly to get the required precise viscosity versus dispensability. :8

As for the ziploc bag, the only object that gets that treatment is the shampoo, which always makes a bid for freedom, no matter how much I try to squeeze that last bit of air out of the bottle. I wonder when manufacturers will get round to designing a bottle that doesn't leak.

I too have had biros throw a wobbly in airplanes. I wouldn't recommend that as a safe alternative.

Hombre
4th May 2007, 10:25
I use a fountain pen and fly regularly each month.

I have never had a problem regardless of how much ink is left or whether the pen is held horizontal or vertical in my brief case etc.... The pen I use is a Lamy.:ok: