PDA

View Full Version : QF Over Zealousness

mach2male
29th Apr 2007, 03:32
Qantas has been so successful with its drive to reduce sick leave and accumulated leave that we now have people attending the work place sick and injured.
We also have people who have to sell their homes because they cant service their mortgages on their base wage.
The walking wounded are becoming a liability in the work environment not only from a workload perspective but also from a safety stance.
Someones KPIs might look great but the cracks are beginning to show.
Who is going to be accountable when it all hits the fan?

twiggs
29th Apr 2007, 05:00
What a crock!
I fly with people every trip who are sick and when questioned about why they didn't go sick, the answers usually are: I have tickets to a show in London, or I didn't want to be pay protected, or I didn't want to get stuck upline, or I want to go home.
As for people who can't afford to pay their mortgages, if you can't afford your repayments on your base pay, why commit to such a debt in the first place?

mach2male
29th Apr 2007, 05:22
Personally I dont fly with sick people who have ulterior motives other than being intimidated by their manager.
I am talking about people who sign on in Sydney sick or injured
These mortgages I alluded to were established prior to the introduction of accelerated leave.ie they were made on the basis of perceived future income.
You spend more when you stay at home and earn less.
Holidays and normal leave are taken into account
Not being forced to spend 6 months on leave
Twiggs you exaggerate to make a point....as usual

lowerlobe
29th Apr 2007, 08:33
Mach2male…..
The problem here is that someone has had the temerity to question those in the office and their behaviour and some here do not like that for reasons that we can only surmise.

Certainly there are those who work irresponsibly when they are sick and risk infecting other crew in the workplace. However, those managers who look at sick leave as a liability or a simple commodity to reduce rather than a human condition that needs to be managed and understood intimidate the majority.

Being sick leave is not a crock as some put it, but part of life and is managed through sick leave.

We have situations where managers will ring crew at home who have nothing more than the flu. I’m sure that most people who when at home with a blocked nose, headache and generally feeling lousy do not need a call from the office. If the employee has suffered a traumatic accident or situation I’m sure a well timed call offering any help would be appreciated but not for a mundane but annoying case of the flu or similar.

Those who work in the office obviously do not see it that way…

twiggs
29th Apr 2007, 08:46
Ok, so you're telling me that people are going to work sick or injured because they don't want to be called at home by their manager?

mach2male
29th Apr 2007, 09:09
Crew have been threatened by their managers regarding sick leave.
For a company that professes it is EEO...well ....we have a contradiction.
If I receive a phone call that is even mildly intimidating I will be contacting the relevant government agency and lodging a complaint

gigs
29th Apr 2007, 10:02
FACT i go to work from time to time sick as a dog PERIOD. If i do not do this i can not eat as a casual FACT.

DEFCON4
29th Apr 2007, 10:29
C'mon Kiddo...get a full time job....and eat properly.
Dont work for people who treat you with contempt...you deserve better than that.

gigs
29th Apr 2007, 10:51
what us nuts are trying to get through to you guys is that people at present will do free reserve to do youre last fav. trip. ie. hong kong etc.the power of desire to fly a desire to fly to o/s places exceeds logic of some of us nuts! when "will the penny drop"? whos side do you think we are on? cheers gigs

Capt Fathom
29th Apr 2007, 11:17
Crew have been threatened by their managers regarding sick leave.

How does that old saying go?

Live by the sword. Die by the sword! :uhoh:

lowerlobe
29th Apr 2007, 12:17
Twiggs ..

As usual you twist others words.

I said that the practice of managers to ring crew when sick at home is intimidation......

It appears as though with some here that we need to post almost monosyllabic responses so as not to confuse or give the ability to distort.

cartexchange
29th Apr 2007, 12:53
twiggs you stated
As for people who can't afford to pay their mortgages, if you can't afford your repayments on your base pay, why commit to such a debt in the first place?
for once I agree with you 100%
though luck on these people, I cannot believe that they would have been so stupid to get a mortgage based on allowances and long range etc.
Absolutely no sympathy

and by the way SO what if your manager calls you at home, you are sick and that is it!
just say thank you and hang up, NO problem

twiggs
29th Apr 2007, 13:58
and by the way SO what if your manager calls you at home, you are sick and that is it!
just say thank you and hang up, NO problem

Exactly my point.
Hardly intimidation.

radiation junkie
29th Apr 2007, 14:00
My "Team Manager" always rings me when I am sick. And yes, it is a subtle form of harrassment and intimidation. But our "Visitors" are given a brief and a set of guidelines to follow. I am always polite and thank him for the so called sincere concern. And why not, I really don't care if they ring me or not. When recently asked by my manager, about my future career aspirations in the next 5 years with Qantas, my reply was, retire in 2 years with all my sick leave burned up, just like my long service leave has been. Blank stare !!
My first priority is to my health and my Family.
Loyalty to Qantas, that went a few years ago. But, my attitude to the job and looking after the passengers, sorry, customers has not changed. When at work, I do my job in a professional manner and will always treat our customers with the respect and care that I would expect. Yes, Qantas is slowly sinking into the ground through the greed and stupidity of a narrow minded, sort term gratification orientated management. There is no longer a future in aviation for future generations of Australians. Dixon and his brownnosing rable have seen to that, with help from "little johny". I would love to take the latest VR, but I too am greedy and want to get to 55 for the super and extended travel benefits. Plus I still have a lot of sick leave accrued, and we don't want to waste that, do we ?!

jaded boiler
29th Apr 2007, 14:25
This thread should now die a natural death as the font of knowledge of all matters economic has deigned fit to dazzle us with his insightful presence and pretty coloured graphics.

Desk-bound career defence force apparatchiks should stick to what they know best, and discontinue the pretence that self-inflated, two-bit and mostly half-baked enthusiastic amateur knowledge of economics, combined with the capability of generally correctly spelling "macro-economic", can confound readers of this forum.

jaded boiler
29th Apr 2007, 14:39
P-A-F, I was eagerly anticipating a much firmer bite! :)

jaded boiler
29th Apr 2007, 14:52
Looking forward to it! I'll peruse my thesaurus prior to nodding off in front of the tv in the hope of providing a more erudite rejoinder! :}

Lodown
29th Apr 2007, 18:17
I like your thinking Radiation Junkie. In my limited experience, the best and most dependable employees are the ones who are quite capable of telling their boss where he/she can stick his/her job.

lowerlobe
29th Apr 2007, 22:08
Those reading these posts might notice a similarity to twiggs methodology and those in the office. They skirt your question and go round and round and in the end you walk out without having your question answered. You will also notice how Twiggs line of argument almost always follows that of the company.

Twiggs.. You have said that being called at home when sick not a form of intimidation or harassment. So if I follow your lines of thought and keep calling a girl for a date when she does not want me to call that is not a form of harassment or intimidation?

As I said if you are at home on sick leave with a certificate from a medical practitioner then the company has no right or place to call you.If you have nothing more sinister than the flu why is the company calling ostensibly to ask “if you are alright?” Especially when you are probably sleeping and all you need is rest !!!

They also have no right to front up to you when you have just arrived home and they are at the aerobridge to meet you and want you to go straight to a company doctor rather than your own doctor.

Twiggs if you think a call at home is not a form of intimidation then tell us you number and when you have the flu next we will call you and ask if you are OK and need anything!!!