PDA

View Full Version : from f/a to pilot?

flyingazorian
28th Apr 2007, 20:54
http://inhome.rediff.com/money/2006/mar/06forbes.htm

I read this article & would like to share it with those friends I've made in this forum, who have shown interest in going from f/a to pilot..:)

shinners
28th Apr 2007, 21:31
I would like to try....
but the article doesn't talk about that!:)

walshy_MAN
30th Apr 2007, 13:41
From f/a to pilot is exactly what I want to do:ok:

shinners
30th Apr 2007, 18:56
before starting to work as a cabin crew I thought it was a dream....

then I heard about many people who did it.
I hope I can start soon

flyingazorian
1st May 2007, 19:29
My one & only piece of advice to you is:

Go for it!

I know a couple of pilots (good friends of mine) who've done it, through a pilot sponsorship scheme...
Nowadays it's a rare occurance, but it's not an impossible(!!) one...send out a spontaneous application letter to every single airline in the world & you might be lucky!

Aircraft manufacturers have also, in the past, sponsored "wannabe" pilots ..
What's the worst that can happen to you? A "thanks,but no thanks letter"...at least you've tried!!

If you're young enough to join the Air force in your country, that's also a good starting point! In my airline we have a relevant number of pilots who've starded their flying career in the Air Force & later on made the transition to civilian airlines.

Also, several banks will lend you some money, as a student loan scheme..you pay them back when you start working/flying.

Where there's a will,there's a way, right? Don't give up on your dream...good luck:)

p.s. of course, if you seat "on your posterior" thinking that there's no way of accomplishing your dream ( whatever it might be) you'll never accomplish it,that's for sure!
You should only give up on your dream once you've explored "every single avenue"..I speak from my own personal experience, believe me!

:)

VIR001
4th May 2007, 10:15
Hi all,
Ive recently started with Virgin Atlantic as CC and wanting to get into the F/D the above info is spot on! Its hard wrk cos the money isnt great but its do-able, most times im down route I try and squeeze in an hour or two.

Best of Luck

Scott :ok:

VHF1
5th May 2007, 19:10
Hi All, I happen to know lots of very professional pilots who started out life on the other side of the cockpit door. one got his first job on an A320 as F/O at the age of 46. To any of u who have any ambitions in that direction....just go for it. having exposure to the industry from the business end of things is a great help in several ways, mostly because u know exactly what u are letting yourself in for. a previous subscriber mentioned bank loans. well of course this is possible if u have the correct profile to approach the bank with. I remember doing just that for my MEIR and first type rating and....well its not as simple as one would like to think. I went to Ireland, where a fantastic school has an airline capt as its head of training, he gave me the lowdown on the whats what that noone would ever dare tell u. i managed to complete my entire CPL and a lot of my MEIR without having to borrow for the pleasure, because i was able to do it in my own time and on a budget.

So any of u folks thinking of taking the plunge.....hold ur breath, and just go for it, u have absolutely nothing to loose and everything to gain.

VHF1

Megaton
5th May 2007, 19:15
I flew with two training captains at my last airline both of whom had been cabin crew before seeing the light :-) Both were good trainers and obviously had an excellent rapport with their colleagues down the back. It's not cheap and it's not easy but if it was it wouldn't be worth doing. Good luck!

ladida
6th May 2007, 12:57
i'm planning it too. since i was not accepted on my first try to be a pilot because they say they'll let older people in first, might as well be an FA first... but i'm still applying for it... :{

BrunoMorgado
21st Nov 2007, 00:11
i am working in ryanair as a cabin crew! and i am thinking of doing it modular while working as a cabin crew. i will do it modular . step by step. so that i can pay it as i go...

EZSmile
28th Nov 2007, 12:17
We have a handful of exceptional pilots who started in the cabin, They're the best, really admirable people, but very few make it.

None of them got a sponsorship, I paid 200£ just for a direct entry exam. I think companies should pay for their own selections. So only go to selections if don't have to pay!
It also all gets down to flight schools having strewed up their prices, with the Euro and after low attendance due to 9/11. Even airlines have started to make money on selling type-ratings and through partnerships with flight-schools to make money even on new entrants, down to the loans and interest rates.
I believe modular training shows great motivation, allows great flexibility, an international path and compared to big schools its cheaper, but self sponsored is still a huge risk. While doing my PPL and flying in the cabin, I'm having a lot more fun then in a quick-bleach school and I'm convinced that I can fly up front some day.

I've also seen guys with an ATPL work as cabin crew and finally being fired. It's not all rosy, but down to personal will, attitude and flexibility.

VS-LHRCSA
1st Dec 2007, 14:09
With the US exchange rate as it is, now is a really good time to be going for your PPL or ATPL. If you work as crew for VS or BA, you would be able to swap/bid for MCO or TPA and rack up hours every week, while your accommodation is paid for.

I'm doing my PPL here in the UK and it's costing me £150 per hour, so I'm considering going back to crew just so I can train in FL.

pipertommy
3rd Dec 2007, 10:31
Why not have a look at Spain for your PPL?You can get some good deals!

Aussie_Pilot
3rd Dec 2007, 13:40
I've been fighting for the whole this year wondering if I want to do or not to do.

I learnt to Fly as a Private Pilot in Sydney but I could affort to go any further so I decide to try to be a Cabin Crew first of all to raise credit (i could apply apply for a loan in 3 o 4 year time) then to taste the Cabin life to see if is good for me or not

I went from Cockpit to Cabin maybe one day I might return to the Cockpit...

Most of Young man comes from a not rich family and could affort the expensive training so for this reason I trust there are quite a few pilots that are former cabin crew..

So.. I'll keep everybody posted:)
I'm about to open a Blog
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

chris4567
6th Dec 2007, 14:40
i want to do the same when im older,but dont you stil have to pay for all your stuff training etc,which comes to about 80k? :hmm::eek:

pipertommy
7th Dec 2007, 11:48
Exactly think of your lifetime earnings!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck:ok:

ReallyAnnoyed
7th Dec 2007, 11:59
Before you venture down this road you really should read the threads in the wannabe section thoroughly. There are many pitfalls and you must go into this with eyes wide open to minimise the risk of an unhappy ending. If being in the pointy end is a dream I encourage you to go for it, but you must realise that the road is paved with difficulties for the great majority of wannabe pilots. A naive attiude has lead to economic and personal ruin for too many. Make an informed decision once you have a realistic picture of what it takes to make the dream real. Good luck :)

chris4567
7th Dec 2007, 15:07
ok well i dont know if im clever enough
what if you spent 80k and never got a job,you would be in a lot of debt.

splashbrooke
8th Dec 2007, 12:24
Schools like Oxford Aviation Training will assess your ability and will only accept those who they feel will be able to get a job at the end of it.. otherwise it doesn't do their stats etc any good... although there of course is always risk... but as long as you have your eyes open to them... and work *hard* and achieve those top results.. you'll probs be fine....
My 2ps worth anyway