PDA

View Full Version : How do you become a Biz Jet pilot?

denisbergkamp1
9th Nov 2001, 22:25
It has always been my ambition in life to be a pilot. I have manged to log a few hours and should soon have my PPL. I'm intending to use the modular route to gain my frozen ATPL. The flying aspects of biz jets appeals to me more than airlines but how do you get a foot in the door? I don't suppose that any company offers part sponsorship in return for a period of flying for them :confused: . You can but dream :)

LRdriver
10th Nov 2001, 03:33
networking..

wondering
11th Nov 2001, 17:50
LRdriver is right. Networking and being at the right place at the right time. I guess thatīs not much help. But, thatīs how it works.

Rusty Cessna
12th Nov 2001, 02:54
Anyone mind explaining networking??

Ta,
Rusty.

pilot dude
12th Nov 2001, 12:32
Going to your local FBO/handeling agent with a stack of CV's and trying to chat to any incomming flightcrew. Working on the line at one of these places is also good. cause you meet al the right peopleand gat payed for it.

Good luck

PorcoRosso
13th Nov 2001, 23:47
I guess you can begin by being a "biz prop" pilot ;)
But even that step is a matter of networking !

Cheers

Cobra
14th Nov 2001, 06:39
Or wait for old farts like me to retire!! :p

Pontius Pilot
14th Nov 2001, 09:11
Miss Out with the Airlines!

Di - Hedral
15th Nov 2001, 06:03
I believe that Air Atlantique provide sponsorship for the right person. It will involve working in the office, refuelling & marshalling etc., before you get as far as license issue and actually flying the planes. You could reasonably expect the initial wages to be lower than industry standard in return.
They held an open day earlier this year (if my memory serves me correctly), explaining the system.

PsychoDad
15th Nov 2001, 07:14
WPT9,

As should be obvious from the above, there is no single way to a shiny biz-jet. Networking is certainly the route of choice. For myself it was a combination of previous experience (F16 driver with the RDAF) and being at the right place at the right time. I knew no-one on the GA arena but was very intent on keeping as far away from scheduled airlines as possible. Persistancy and luck landed me a B200 job and the boss and I, along with the rest of the pilot group, have since moved up to a Challenger 604 and early next year we'll move up yet again, this time to a shiny new Global Express.

Now please don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong in flying for an airline. Quite the contrary for the majority I would imagine. But nothing beats the feeling when you put your hands on the wheel of a brand new biz-jet, knowing that only a small handful of pilots will ever share the fun on this particular aircraft. I won't even start on the lifestyle; either you like or you don't.

Little Fly Girl
21st Nov 2001, 04:17
So PsychoDad, what exactly is the lifestyle of a Biz Jet pilot like then? I'm curious... :confused:

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: Little Fly Girl ]

Flintstone
21st Nov 2001, 22:56
LFG,

The lifestyle is great. Instead of hauling around a couple of hundred yobboes you get to meet (mostly) cultured, well mannered, people. Take them to (mostly) nice places and not only is this at somebody elses expense but you get paid to do it!!

I would never go so far as to say I'd never work for an airline but it would have to be a very good offer to even get me to look at another job.

Off to the pool. Bye! ;)

shaablamm
26th Nov 2001, 02:10
It's all to much of a dream in Australia. Flying a bizjet is something I've always wanted. Over here there is no possible way unless you've got previous swept wing,flight level experience. Therefore they only take ex airline and ex airforce.

I've tried and will continue to try networking. At the moment I'm saving for a right seat Citation endorsement. Any tips out there would be much appreciated as I'm getting desperate.

PsychoDad
27th Nov 2001, 09:35
LFG,

Well, on top of what Flintstone said, I'd like to add the following:

PRO
Low hours - and then of course loads of time off
Ever changing destinations
Meeting interesting people, and actually having time to talk with them
Diversity in job tasks (do own flt plans, do admin when flying is low)

CONTRA
Less job security, or that's how is used to be
24 hour stand-by if not scheduled off. (And even then they might call you)
Pay often less than airlines, but money is not everything in my opinion

Loc-out
27th Nov 2001, 11:33
shaablamm

What the #### has swept wing time got to do with it? You can either fly an a/c or you can't. Period. The basics are the same regardless of type.

Customer service and the ability to manage on your own, is a much bigger concideration.

Pontius Pilot
27th Nov 2001, 13:49
shaablamm,

Save Your Loot!

If you have the spare cash; Invest it, stick it on a horse or get some other qualifications behind you (eg IT), but for F*^%s sake, don't blow it on a Citation rating!!!!

The Australian aviation industry is a joke and in a complete mess, and the corporate scene in Oz has always been harder to get into than a nuns g-string! Even if you get a F/O endorsement this won't even realistically get you an interview... To get a break in Oz you need command jet time (on type) and lots of it, so 5 or so Hrs in the right seat isn't going to help your cause!

I don't mean to sound too harsh, but being realistic and having seen this all too often before, may I suggest you contemplate an alternative! :(

shaablamm
28th Nov 2001, 10:32
Cheers PP. I half expected everyone to say consider an alternative. I know your right about the right seat time. It is bull#### over here, as Loc-out says. What does swept wing time have to do with it. It's just another way to cull the masses I guess.

I have considered doing the JAA but I just can't afford to lay out that sort of money now. The cost in Europe is a joke but that's another story.

I will push along doing my light twin flying and keep trying to find a way.

Tell me Loc-out. What did you do to get in if you didn't have jet experience and do you know if I can operate on an Aussie licence over in the Middle East and on top of that what would I need to do to get an FO posi over there?

Thanks for your help.

Loc-out
28th Nov 2001, 11:33
shaablamm

A lot depends on being at the right place at the right time and who you know, without grovelling.

An Aussie licence is quite well respected in most parts of the world. You should be able to get a validation issued on the strength of it. Having said that I know people who are flying on validations of US licences on JAA A/C in Europe, on AOC operations.

My advice to you is to get out of Australia if you want to advance your career in corporate aviation but not until things pick up again. If you have a job at the moment, try and keep it, as there a lot of experienced pilots out there who are out of work.

Bear in mind, the longer this job shortage goes on, the bigger the shortage of pilots there will be when things do pick up again, as they surely will.

[ 28 November 2001: Message edited by: Loc-out ]

shaablamm
29th Nov 2001, 12:24
Loc-out, really appreciate you're reply. Thanx, you've pretty much sold me. Reaffirmed my determination to get out of Oz. You're right though, I will sit tight in my job, at least it's secure (I think!!!), and research my ass off I reckon.
Cheers fellas, maybe fly with you one day.