PDA

View Full Version : Buying Watches In HK

whatdoesthisbuttondo
26th Apr 2007, 17:42
Hi all,
I lived in Hong Kong for 20odd years but now live and fly in the U.K.
My folks are back in HK for a few days and I'm going to try to get my Dad them to price a watch for me.
The watch is a Omega Speedmaster Professional "MoonWatch" with the see through saphire case back.Ref No. 3573.50.00
Does anyone know of a good reputable dealer on the island not too far from the Excelsior. I'm sure it's changed a bit since 96 when I was there last. Are watches still alot cheaper than the U.K. I know Breitlings were at least 40% off U.K. RRP.
I'm sure all you Cathay and Dragonair boys are loaded and buy lots of watches.
Cheers all

Night Watch
27th Apr 2007, 02:19
Give the Elegant Watch & Jewelry. Co. a go....

Shop OT 284, level 2,
Ocean Terminal, Harbour City
Kowloon, Hong Kong

You will have to fight for it.... but don't accept anything less than 37-38% off the ticketed price (I know of guys that have got 40% off). Easy to get to.... just off the Star ferry in TST.

whatdoesthisbuttondo
27th Apr 2007, 05:21
Thanks for the reply, does that discount apply to all models or to omega specifically?

N1 Vibes
27th Apr 2007, 05:26
The best advice I got was from a very experienced watch technician in the Official Breitling Offices here, he had also worked for Rolex and I think Omega.

He said that the local official repair centres know where the best/most trustworthy watch vendors are. As some of the 'fly-by-night' companies get watches that have been sat in display stands for a year on the mainland and will seize after a year of operation.

So give the official Omega repairers a call, a Google serache should give you the number.

Good Luck,

N1 Vibes

whatdoesthisbuttondo
27th Apr 2007, 12:53
Thanks guys any other shops people have experience of?

ACMS
29th Apr 2007, 09:47
I'm sure all you Cathay and Dragonair boys are loaded and buy lots of watches.
Thanks, I must go look at my HSBC account again, must be a hole somewhere I can fix?

FlexibleResponse
29th Apr 2007, 11:40
I've bought a few watches from Elegant Watch & Jewelry in Ocean Terminal. Very happy with them, but you must bargain wherever you go! Elegant also has other outlets in TST and on the Island.

In general, you can expect a maximum of about 40% off the list price on the watch (whatever brand). The best I have attained is 38% paying by cash rather than by CC (the salesgirl accompanied me to the ATM to do an online transfer to Elegant!).

Just sometimes they have specials (aaarrrgg, ...old model!) that they will sell for around 66% off the list price, which are fantastic bargains, but they obviously need to be what you want.

Shop around at other watch shops just a little to establish that the "List Price" is consistent for the model you are after and not inflated, before you negotiate towards the 40% discount.