PDA

View Full Version : Old DC6 crash in Oman

ATCO1962
26th Apr 2007, 14:38
Hello all, Just a bit of private research. Wondering if anyone out there has any personal information on the New World Air Charter DC6 crash into Jebel Hameem south west of Muscat back in 1978, apart from what you can glean on the Net? Most of the ATCOs who were here at the time only have vague recollections and I would like to know if there were any accident reports that came out?

I was able to visit the site a number of years ago and most of the wreckage is still there, in a spot that is as about as remote as you can get. The plane just missed getting over a 4-5,000' ridge, having unknowingly flown up a steep sided valley for the last couple of minutes of flight. If the pilots had only known (night flight and apparently very dark, with no lights in that area)!!

Thanks in anticipation.

divingduck
26th Apr 2007, 14:41
Hey 1962...

Rumour has it that the super chicken was the man on the spot at the time. He should know what is what?

ATCO1962
26th Apr 2007, 18:22
Yeah, he's kind of evasive or doesn't remember all the details or something. There were a number of others on duty that night as well, but not a lot of accurate details or an official report. There's gotta be something somewhere....cue the Twilight Zone/X-file music!!

scanscanscan
26th Apr 2007, 22:14
Possibly I remembering this one....Was this the one that required the crew sleeping onboard whilst it was unloaded and reloaded? Bit of a problem in 40 degrees C on the Muscat ramp where temperatures can rise at night.
Then briefed for a 26 departure with a right turn on course with homes in Lebanon as destination .... then experianced a last minute runway change trap on taxi out...they used 08 and still made the right turn out into the hills?
Possibly well tired by all this and got caught out as a result.
American Captain with all Lebanese crew.....freight based operation out of Lebanon and it all happened (as it did again) on a very black and dark Gulf night
when you do not see the hills or the stars or any lights on the ground...just a big black hole.
As a result of this crash.... a 08 left turn out and emergency left turn were then published.....also crews were now allowed to enter and sleep in the airport building and later actually off airport....not that much in the way of accommodation there in 1978 and crews were required to stay at their aircraft due security during long transit turnarounds.

ATCO1962
27th Apr 2007, 04:22
Hi scan,

That sounds exactly like the incident. Do you have any links to any detailed reports or is that a recollection on your part? Did you have any connection to the crew or company? PM me if you wish but thanks for the info thus far.

scanscanscan
29th Apr 2007, 19:57
I do not think you will find any report publicly available on this one....You could inquire of the British Caa who were responsible for oversite in thoes days...later ICAO.
I think it was basically all kept diplomatically inhouse....bit different these days with Email,PPrune, and www...to get the news out in minutes.
I think I read about it in an old GF flight safety magazine.

jovica
2nd May 2007, 01:32
The best I've found. Not very helpful though.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19780827-0