PDA

View Full Version : It's just not cricket!

Dan Winterland
26th Apr 2007, 02:52
From the South China Morning Post, 25 April 2007.

Tigers bomb airfield before cricket break.

Tamil Tiger rebels flying light aircraft bombed the Palay airfield in Sri Lanka's northern Jaffna peninsula, killing at least six soldiers and wounding 13. But a spokesperson said an immediate repeat was unlikely as the rebels would be watching Sri Lanka play New Zealand in the semifinals of the world cricket tournament in Jamaica. Tamil Tiger supremo Velupillai Prabhakaran is believed to be a cricket fan.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Apr 2007, 13:58
I'm bowled over by this news, though why they did it leaves me stumped. Even in a war, there should be boundaries. Was it caught on film? I wonder what direction they flew the leg before the bombing run because I'm sure they didn't want to be seen before they were over the pitch. Maybe they flew down a narrow gully, though they'd need to make sure there were no slips in their flying skills. In fact they probably had to pad their altitude by fifty feet. I suppose they were just following the orders of their Lords and masters.

TyroPicard
26th Apr 2007, 15:58
They probably researched the mission on Googly Earth, and flew a pretty fine leg to get there. With no top cover, they were lucky no-one had to bail out.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
26th Apr 2007, 17:02
Good one - it creased me up.

It's nice to read a different spin on the story.

I'd better get back to work now as I'm off break.