PDA

View Full Version : Stuffed Shirts

Big Cat Handler
25th Apr 2007, 19:32
I phoned Snaith's at Cranwell this morning, to try to buy a wedgewood blue shirt with double cuffs. They told me that they don't sell them, as we aren't allowed to wear them any more.
Just in case I decide to completely ignore this diktat, can anyone suggest somewhere I could get hold of such a shirt, without the expense of having one individually made for me?
BCH

Dan Winterland
26th Apr 2007, 02:41
Sounds a bit like a 'career item' to me. That means anyone viewing this site won't have a clue!

6Z3
26th Apr 2007, 08:08
Another blue collar worker with ideas above his station

Release-Authorised
26th Apr 2007, 09:10
I once got a cuff round the ear if that helps, but a double cuff must be a real telling off.

Big Cat Handler
26th Apr 2007, 10:05
I'm actually trying to get hold of it for my forthcoming wedding, and no I don't wear blues very often either, but nor did I expect help without some banter! Please carry on...

BCH

c130jbloke
26th Apr 2007, 10:29
I bet you will be really cuffed when somebody gives you a sensible answer !

:8 :8

TheHogwartsBEngO
26th Apr 2007, 10:54
If your main concern is wearing some special cufflinks at your wedding, the standard single cuff blue shirt has holes on both sides of the cuff, so you can remove the button and use a cufflink.

It's a cheat but noone would ever know.

(I did it for my wedding)

c-bert
26th Apr 2007, 11:07
Can't someone offer the gent some real advice?

Far too many off the cuff remarks....:E

Ivan Rogov
26th Apr 2007, 11:30
Now, now don't get shirty!.........................:E

Hill Walker
26th Apr 2007, 11:31
No fisticuffs please...

tacr2man
26th Apr 2007, 11:33
have you tried ebay, most ex and current items seem to be available if not on current auction contact to the main sellers seems to get info on where to go ,
probably stating the obvious :)

lokiukuk
26th Apr 2007, 11:36
You're getting married? Fool!

And in uniform? double fool!

A2QFI
26th Apr 2007, 11:42
This link may help - at a price
http://tinyurl.com/2dakvx

6Z3
26th Apr 2007, 11:58
Q: Diktat? what's a Diktat?
A: It's Tat for dicks.
Oh, you mean something like a double-cuffed wedgewood blue shirt?
Yer that's right, the sort that dicks wear to weddings.

Redline747
26th Apr 2007, 12:00
Another riveting aviation related subject from the crabs.............................

dakkg651
26th Apr 2007, 12:21
Redline

You're only jealous because we wear a natty shade of blue that matches the sanctifies halls of the skies.

Your shirt, however, matches the colour of the scum found on cesspools.

Tin hats please gentlemen.

Northern Circuit
26th Apr 2007, 12:32
Redline

You're only jealous because we wear a natty shade of blue that matches the sanctifies halls of the skies.

Your shirt, however, matches the colour of the scum found on cesspools

and flares

South Bound
26th Apr 2007, 12:43
If you are wearing No 1s, just buy a civvie one roughly the same colour - you don't need rank tabs under your jacket....

It is only a wedding, don't want to waste loads of money do you?

parabellum
26th Apr 2007, 12:57
There used to be an outfit in London called 'Allkit' - do they still exist? They, at one time, claimed to supply everything, but that may have been before the RAF;)

Ancient Observer
26th Apr 2007, 14:22
Is this thread an entry in the least helpful competition?

dakkg651
26th Apr 2007, 14:34
AO

You're absolutely right.

BCH please except our apologies. The rest of us will now refrain from unhelpful comments and banter so that only serious answers to your dilemma may be posted.

AO over to you.

samuraimatt
26th Apr 2007, 14:53
DKK

Nothing like have your collar felt by the PPRUNE fun police. I am not surprised he gave you a cuff around the "earoles".:rolleyes:

woodring
26th Apr 2007, 15:40
Try Goldings in St Albans 01727841321
I know they will make one to measure if they do not have one in stock.

Big Cat Handler
26th Apr 2007, 18:27
Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions and abuse. I'm almost honoured at making it to 2 pages! I tried to think of a suitable shirt-related pun to finish off on, but I those I thought of were rubbish. I'll keep them up my sleeve for another time.

effortless
26th Apr 2007, 18:52
Please feel free to use my chaps (http://www.harvieandhudson.com/) I'me sure that they could run you up summat.

A2QFI
26th Apr 2007, 19:05
Another patronising comment from a 3 post shirt tail lifter!

FJJP
26th Apr 2007, 19:35
It's been a while, but there used to be a clutch of military tailors in central London - Gieves, Alkits, Moss Bros and so on.

Or a call to the DIOT [or whatever it's called now] might give you some helpful phone numbers for London.

Or Google 'military tailors' - http://www.google.co.uk/search?as_q=military+tailors&hl=en&newwindow=1&num=100&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

A2QFI
26th Apr 2007, 19:56
It is a wedding - by definition it is a waste of money!

Release-Authorised
27th Apr 2007, 06:55
I will wager that future Mum in Law bought someone some cufflinks for Christmas. The HAVE to be shown off, otherwise.......:eek:

Pontius Navigator
27th Apr 2007, 07:12
Try Au Wai Lam if there are still operating in HK.

Redline747
27th Apr 2007, 18:06
my clothes may resemble the reject bin at oxfam, but at least there're usually airborne, in a serviceable airplane. and i don't have to pay for them. nor would i wear them to a wedding, if the only thing you have to impress the laydees with is a a blue double cuffed shirt then i would suggest either; a. getting a life, or b. flying more and worrying less about houte couture, then you might have some stories to impress afore mentioned chicks. This after all, is an aviation related web site, you could always try the professional tailors rumour network, or, which may be easier, ask about shirts at the QM's. He may be interested.

Crabs can't swim, can't walk straight and make a great cracking sound when they land from a height, so shouldn't even attempt to fly.

Thank you in anticiption,

Love Redline