PDA

View Full Version : CPL/IR training in own aircraft

dom462
25th Apr 2007, 18:06
I am about half way through my PPL and I am beginning to think about what I am going to do once I get my licence. I would like to get an aircraft share in a group as I see this as very good value for money.
My question is this, If I get a share in a C172 say and I eventually decide to do CPL/IR training, would most schools let me do it in that aircraft. It would seem ridiculous to hire out an aircraft for the training if you have your own.
Has anybody done this and had any problems?

kuchemann carrots
25th Apr 2007, 18:32
Not too sure what the schools view would be.
For the CPL the A/C would need to be, as far as I am aware a complex single, i.e. retrac U/C and constant speed prop.
For the IR, although you can get a SE IR, most airlines if not all would be looking for a ME IR.
So to really utilise your own aircraft for the entire process you'd be looking at a twin, which begins to become an expensive exercise...
Some food for thought

dom462
25th Apr 2007, 18:54
Most of the ME CPL courses I've been looking at have about 20 hours in a simple single engine like a C172/PA28. I believe it is the case for IR too, only a small portion of the courses are in a complex aircraft.

BlueRobin
25th Apr 2007, 19:23
So you're assuming the aircraft will be unwanted by your fellow shareholders when you need it, and that it was always be serviceable 9-5, Monday-Friday?

For the purposes of training, believe me, leave the operational side to the school.

Hansard
25th Apr 2007, 21:03
All aircraft used for CPL, IR, FIC, etc. training must be suitably equipped (including instrument screens if necessary) and must be inspected and approved by the CAA. The approval process costs money.