PDA

View Full Version : Portend of things to come?

Pedota
25th Apr 2007, 13:13
This is from today's Airline Transport World . . .

No-frills Skybus unveils destinations, fares, charges
Wednesday April 25, 2007

Low-cost startup Skybus Airlines yesterday unveiled its initial destinations, touted $10 fares and began accepting reservations on its website.
The Columbus-based carrier will begin flying May 22, launching daily A319 service from Columbus to Burbank, Portsmouth, Kansas City and Richmond. One week later it will start operating daily to Greensboro, Fort Lauderdale and Bellingham. Flights to Oakland and a second daily Burbank service will begin June 12.

Many of its initial flights are at non-peak times, with several evening or night departures. Skybus promised additional destinations as it adds to its fleet, which will comprise leased A319s until it begins taking delivery of the 65 aircraft ordered last fall (ATWOnline, Oct. 27, 2006).

The airline said it chose mostly less congested, secondary airports in order to avoid delays and reduce costs. "We pass the savings on to smart fliers like you," it said on its website, on which it advertised one-way fares starting at $10 excluding "taxes, fees and restrictions." Select fares rise in increments of $10 up to $50, which appeared to be the highest available yesterday. It also is selling advertising in and on its aircraft (ATWOnline, April 12).

"Our strategy is to 'decomplexify' airline operations in ways that keep costs down while making flying as simple and convenient as possible," CEO Bill Diffenderffer said. The LCC will charge for all food and drinks onboard and posted a notice on its website asking passengers not to bring their own.
One carry-on bag no larger than 19x16x9 in. and weighing no more than 22 lb. may be brought onboard in addition to one "personal item." The first two pieces of checked luggage weighing less than 50 lb. will cost $5 apiece per segment, with each additional bag costing $50. Bags larger than 47x47x32 in. or weighing 50-75 lb. will cost an extra $25. Heavier bags and pets will not be accepted. Skybus has partnered with Mercury Air Cargo for freight transport.

by Brian Straus

chimbu warrior
25th Apr 2007, 23:30
Looks like someone from the US travelled on Ryanair and copied their ideas.

I don't see anything radically different in their offering.

acrolite
29th Apr 2007, 05:41
Looks like someone from the US travelled on Ryanair and copied their ideas.

I don't see anything radically different in their offering.

Nope, nothing different. In fact, one of their executives (not sure if it was Diffenderffer or not) said that their goal was to emulate Ryanair as closely as possible.

gaunty
29th Apr 2007, 06:05
Excuse me for hijacking the thread but the use of the word portend worried me, but after a bit of research it seems that portent is in fact a very close relly. Bit like learnt and leraned I guess.

Main Entry: por·tent
Pronunciation: 'por-"tent
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin portentum, from neuter of portentus, past participle of portendere
1 : something that foreshadows a coming event : OMEN, SIGN
2 : prophetic indication or significance

por·tend (pôr-tĕnd', pōr-)
tr.v., -tend·ed, -tend·ing, -tends.
To serve as an omen or a warning of; presage: black clouds that portend a storm.
To indicate by prediction; forecast: leading economic indicators that portend a recession.
[Middle English portenden, from Latin portendere.]

Cheers.:ok:

theheadmaster
30th Apr 2007, 02:50
While you have the dictionary out, perhaps you could look up the words "relly" and "leraned".

BTW, if you use firefox you can get a great add-on that checks spelling on-the-fly.

gaunty
30th Apr 2007, 02:56
:D :D :sad: :\ :uhoh:

Howard Hughes
30th Apr 2007, 03:12
This why I never correct anyone's spelling or grammar...;)

Creampuff
30th Apr 2007, 03:46
I have no compunction in correcting spelling and grammar.

It should be 'portent', and the title of this thread is a tautology!

Capn Bloggs
30th Apr 2007, 05:27
Will you guys please
decomplexify
this discussion for me?! I can't keep up! :}

Ex FSO GRIFFO
30th Apr 2007, 06:40
G'day Cap'n......

"to 'decomplexify'.......in ways that keep costs down..."

= pay all staff at same rate to reduce admin staff wages, i.e.
EVERYbody gets all same same....... :} :}

n'est ce pas?? :{ :{