PDA

View Full Version : RN desperate for pilots?

RByrne
25th Apr 2007, 09:03
Currently applying to the FAA at the moment- so I hope so!

http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3510841712

daze_gone_buy
25th Apr 2007, 09:21
Don't hope to get in because they are desperate, have belief in your own ability to be the best, or don't bother.

As for the bebo guy, quote " I am not really scared of anything" ok Rambo you are on your own.

DGB

mustflywillfly
25th Apr 2007, 09:27
For God's sake do not join the RN if you want to fly. There is a bloody good reason why we are desperate.

If I had my time again then it would be the RAF all the way. I imagine you love aircraft, love flying and love the buzz of airfields. Remember if you screw the training up in the RN then your life will revolve around, ships, the sea and people who generally couldn't give a toss about aviation (or you will be a civvy again). At least the RAF's sole purpose is to operate aircraft.

Many in the RN slag the RAF off (I have been guilty) there is a simple reason for this - Jealousy. In the crabs you could fly Fast Jets, Helos or Multis. In the RN you are very very restricted.

Of course if you love ships, travelling at 14kts to far off places and whizzing over the featureless oceans (with the exception of the Junglie guys and girls) then the RN is for you!!

I have nearly "bagged" 9 years service now and am "plotting" my escape to civvy flying.

Just be very very sure that the RN is for you. Obviously if you have failed RAF selection then go for it but do not be under any illusion - Betty Windsors Flying Club it is not!

MFWF (dons hard hat for incoming)

doubledolphins
25th Apr 2007, 10:14
That is precisely why I was so glad I was in the RN when I screwed up training. Ships are much better places to be than airfields if you are not a flyer!

(After a little reapraisal of my life I know have over 10,000 hrs and still get to play with boats. Of course the Uniform is so much nicer as well. )

airborne_artist
25th Apr 2007, 10:30
It is a fact however, that the RN has not been getting the right quantity of high quality aircrew applicants through the doors. As a result the training holds have reduced hugely. DNR may have been focussing on the big picture, but not watching the individual areas as closely.

Anecdotal evidence (backed up by Pprune) is that very aircrew wannnabes consider the RN in parallel with the light blue option. There is still the view that if it flies it must be RAF, in the same way that if it's green it must be Army, despite the RM and the RAF Regt being under different masters.

wobble2plank
25th Apr 2007, 10:31
Doubledolphins,

You don't, perchance, happen to dabble in a little Yak flying on the side do you?

;)

Carrots de Chaud
25th Apr 2007, 17:40
If they are desperate for pilots why has the FRI all but disapeared then?

I have nearly "bagged" 9 years service now and am "plotting" my escape to civvy flying

I'm not suprised old chap. I'd rather go and see the buffer, borrow his rustiest chisel and hack off my own gonads than go bagging!

wobble2plank
26th Apr 2007, 08:05
Baggin was alright as a driver on the old Mk 2 but I think this new fangled thing is purrrrrrrrre boredom, mind you I'm alrightttttttt, yip yip, bark chewwwww after 3 years of baggin!!!!! :} :} :\

Wonder why everybodys leaving? Come over to the world of white plank flying and its tough to find the reason.

Turn up to the brief 1:15 before departure, press print on the computer and ALL your flight plans, weather, routes, clearance etc spool out.

Grab a coffee and wait for your bus to the plane.

Set everything up, fill in the paper work ( two signatures, check the Notoc and fill in the fuel figures, phew!) Set up the machine or do the walkround depending on who's sector it is but most importantly GET TODAYS PAPERS!

Fly the route, manual or auto as you wish.

Fly the return route, will generally get fed on one or even both sectors, coffee on tap.

Getting off? Wait for the bus direct to the car park and go home, company want you out the door 30 minutes after shutdown.

Night stopping? Fly the third sector to your destination, get transport provided to a 5 star hotel, check in and chill out.

And, for all this I get paid considerably more than in the RN, staff travel benefits and tax relief on my flying pay.

It was a hard decision but, after years of soul searching, possibly the best I have ever made.

Is the flying dull? Nowhere near as bad as keeping an Mk 7 beating the air to death!

Enjoy

W2P

dakkg651
26th Apr 2007, 08:16
"Grab a coffee and wait for your bus to the plane."

There's that carpentry tool again!