PDA

View Full Version : I need some information about CX's benefits

nicale
24th Apr 2007, 21:55
What is the retirement age for US base pilots?
How much they pay DEFO while in training?
Upgrade time DEFO to CA?
How the profit sharing works, normally how much they share?

mayday911
25th Apr 2007, 17:06

Full pay from day 1 plus 15.5% P-Fund, plus duty pay once in simulator, plus full allowances for the first 3 weeks and then 75% (I think that is the number).

You can put in for 744F Command on day 1 if you have the experience and the stones for it.

Benefit sharing? Do you mean profit sharing?

Mayday

nicale
25th Apr 2007, 17:30
thanks for correcting me, and I am Just an ERJ CA. with 1500 PIC turbine

cpdude
25th Apr 2007, 17:31
What is the retirement age for US base pilots?

How much they pay DEFO while in training?

Upgrade time DEFO to CA?

How the benefit sharing works, normally how much they share?

Undefined. Officially 55 but negotiated individually to 60 and soon possibly 65.

The same as after training.

Undefined. Could be 2-10-or never. It's not really dependant on seniority.

They share when they want and change the rules to suit them. Don't rely on profit share and if you get a small cheque...bonus!

nicale
25th Apr 2007, 18:36
Is this because, they don't offer or FO's don't make it? How the training is compare to US major Airlines, is it more difficult or is the same?

cpdude
25th Apr 2007, 22:25
Is this because, they don't offer or FO's don't make it? How the training is compare to US major Airlines, is it more difficult or is the same?

Both. generally, if you have a good record, they will offer you a command at the 8-10 year point but again only if you haven't had problems on any of your several checks. If you want an early command, IE Freighter Capt., then not only do you need a good record but they must like you or have faith in you as well.

This is all just to start the course because then , of course, you have to pass it.

No training at CX...just checking. Over and over again until you get it right.

poydras
25th Apr 2007, 23:08
cpdude,
don' t think that CX is the only place were training is (as you say ) hard.
I work for a US based regional on a stinkin' ERJ and let me tell you, you are on your own from day 1. No favors no smiles not even a word of encouragement. those are the manuals those are the procedures. You figure it out. see yah at the check ride.
At least the 74 has 4 engine and I hope a much better response on V1 cut compare to the ERJ.

Just a thought

cpdude
25th Apr 2007, 23:34
I didn't say the training was "hard", I said it didn't exist!:bored: :)

thepotato232
25th Apr 2007, 23:46
Aw, the ERJ's a puppy. A V1 in the 1900 is much more entertaining!

To answer an earlier question, CX training sounds much harder, and much more adversarial, than the collegiate attitude I've seen in the training department of virtually every U.S. major. That said, poydras has a point about training in the U.S. regionals. They are hiring a lot of low-time "kids" (such as myself), so they seem to have taken it upon themselves to create a training environment modeled after the writings of Charles Darwin. Groups of new hires and upgrade students regularly huddle together for emergency procedures and system reviews. It's easy to set up study groups when everyone's afraid of getting canned on their next checkride, and the company pays so little that we're all living four people to an apartment anyway. I've had several friends who were shown the door at one company or another because the "trainers" weren't in the mood to do any training. If you fail your captain upgrade here, you're likely to be fired. At least if you run afowl of CX trainers, you've usually got enough flight time built up to move somewhere else. Try getting a job at one U.S. regional after another one has given you a massive black mark at 1000tt.

nicale
26th Apr 2007, 00:18
If you fail a check ride in CX are you fired, or at least they give you on more chance?

Drunknsailor
26th Apr 2007, 00:39
I haven't been at CX long enough to claim being an expert but I will chime in about the training. I have found it neither difficult or cruel. I also can say that it is not just checking. I have had the pleasure of working with some very helpful qualified and gifted people in my time here. The best training captain I have ever worked with is a CX trainer.

That being said, what it is is VERY nonstandard and random. There are some guys who are very helpful training oriented etc. and there are a few absolute w@nkers. The -400 seems to have a disproportianate amount of these folks as compared to the other fleets so it explains why more of the north americans are so upset about it. The worst trainer I have ever experienced has also been at CX.

The bottom line is that if you show up prepared to all of your sessions, can take criticism and are willing to play the game the way they say to play it MOST LIKELY you will not have a problem.

No, they will not fire you after one failed check!

nicale
26th Apr 2007, 01:47
Good info. Thanks

poydras
26th Apr 2007, 10:19
I didn't say the training was "hard", I said it didn't exist!

Same thing over here; non existent

Mr. Bloggs
27th Apr 2007, 05:27
Try getting a job at one U.S. regional after another one has given you a massive black mark at 1000tt.

We know that one.