View Full Version : Your opinions of the big 3 engine makers

zebragonzo
24th Apr 2007, 14:50
I'm interested in hearing what peoples views are about engines manufactured by GE, RR & P&W.

I work for one of them, but I need some impartial opinions about the benefits and thought that this might just be the correct sort of place to ask people who actually deal with various aspects!

Thanks in advance everyone!

bustitagain
24th Apr 2007, 23:00
Have to agree with that. Although I have to say not really had many problems with the pw4000. Main problems I have had with cfm56 are bleed problems, egt margins and the odd reverser problem. RR 211 535 can be a nightmare with ffg's bleed handling valves and epr control/indications. And they are always a nightmare to open the reversers. GE generally behave, especially the cf6 and ge90 although I have had quite a few fuel leaks on the cf6 and eec problems.

gas path
25th Apr 2007, 06:43
Mr. Royce's 211 for me, such a simple engine:ok: tough as old boots can take a load of compressor damage with very little effect on fuel burn, excellent on wing life, the only 'fly in the ointment' being the HPC birdmouth wear, but there is now a fix for that. The biggest bonus no damn C ducts for:ugh: :ouch:
Mind you I bet RR never gets involved in T/Reverser design again!
GE90 nicely matured but GE are panicing abit after the CO engine failure in Newark:oh: BUT why is everything so big, heavy and clumbersome?
RR Trent..... dunno dont open the cowls.:ok:

Blacksheep
25th Apr 2007, 08:18
Best engines we ever had for reliability and long-term operating costs were the RB211-535E4s on our 757s. One of them stayed on the wing so long that our Tech Records thought we had forgotten about it. The Rolls-Royce customer support was cracking too.

The Pratt guy shows up now and again and we have his home number to get him out of bed when we need him! Now, that's what you call service :ok:

The GE reps were regular visitors, though that may have had something to do with the way they were running three times as many ADs as the Rollers and Pratts put together.

The V2500s on the "Booses" are a bag of sh*t. Cost us our A319/A320 ETOPS rating for many, many months, they did.

zebragonzo
25th Apr 2007, 17:27
Thanks for the words of wisdom everyone!

If you had to pick one of the three, based purely on your experience with them (ignoring cost and all that malarky) who would you pick?

zebragonzo
25th Apr 2007, 19:09
Either, but remember to support your statements ;)

Blacksheep
26th Apr 2007, 01:42
Purely on acquisition costs there's not much in it. Our experience on reliability, support and long term ownership/operating costs favours Rolls Royce.

Of course, when you acquire an aircraft you don't always get a choice!

...and with GE 's current predatory tactics (where's the Anti-Trust people when you need 'em, eh?) its getting worse.

zebragonzo
26th Apr 2007, 18:22
Thanks very much everyone!