PDA

View Full Version : Finland & Sweden to Join NATO?

ORAC
24th Apr 2007, 14:20
You know, it was hard enough to get a unanimous decision made when it was (just) 15 nations, now it's , what, 25ish? And still going up. And it will still be only the same 3 or 4 willing to do any fighting.

Finland, Sweden May Be Inching Closer to NATO (http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=2680331&C=europe)

Impiger
24th Apr 2007, 17:09
Orac

Its 26 with 3 in the stack (Croatia, Macedonia, Albania) and at least 2 more asking for clearance to join the hold (Ukraine, Georgia).

Decisions are tricky to say the least - none of that majority voting stuff here! Oh and both Finland and Sweden are already doing as much on ops as most Allies of comparable size so I for one would welcome them in with open arms.

BEagle
24th Apr 2007, 17:37
"...so I for one would welcome them in with open arms."

Particularly if the Swedes bring the odd Gripen or few.......

......and their famous netball team, of course!

Wholigan
24th Apr 2007, 18:51
As long as the team is still driving white E Types Beags!!

:E

WE Branch Fanatic
24th Apr 2007, 20:30
What will Moscow think?

ORAC
24th Apr 2007, 20:39
Dunno, but I'd advise them not to try it on with the Finns - look what happened the last time they tried..... :ouch:

Razor61
25th Apr 2007, 01:00
You missed the Gripen at Valley and Benbecula then Beagle ;)

Zoom
25th Apr 2007, 12:45
How far can one be from the North Atlantic and still be a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation? Perhaps it should become the NAMBBASEEJICTO - North Atlantic, Mediterranean, Baltic, Barents and All Seas to the East and Elsewhere Just In Case Treaty Organisation. And once all the nations of the world are members, who the h*ll are we going to fight?

Hill Walker
25th Apr 2007, 13:08
...alien beings from another planet?

BattlerBritain
25th Apr 2007, 13:14
....Whitehall?

Impiger
25th Apr 2007, 17:14
Zoom,

I'll put my school teacher hat on for a mo. Article 10 of the Washington Treaty (founding document for NATO) allows for future expansion by inviting, from time to time, any 'European' states expressing an interest to join to come forward. Personally I think its stretching a point to include Georgia!

PPRuNeUser0139
26th Apr 2007, 07:21
While there would be many advantages to Sweden joining NATO from the military perspective, I don't think it could be sold to the electorate on political grounds. My understanding is that they have a problem with "an attack on one NATO member is seen as an attack on all.." (apologies if I've paraphrased it incorrectly) I think the Swedish Govt would find it difficult to sign up to that.
Being a PFP nation probably meets most of their needs at the moment.