PDA

View Full Version : dispatcher.. licence or not?

merle
24th Apr 2007, 13:55
I have been working a few years at the Flight Data and NOTAM section in the (Dutch) Air Force, at the moment I work for the EAD (European AIS (aeronautical information service) Database).
The thing is... I really want to make the step to an Airline as a flight dispatcher, but I'm not licenced.
Does anyone know if it would really make a big difference to have a licence or not, when applying especially to Airlines in the Middle East??
I have been searching for schools to study for the Licence. Is it true that this is only possible in the US? What would be a good school, which issues international licences?

thanks guys!
:ok:
Merle

Panama Jack
24th Apr 2007, 15:47
Here is the job opening listing that recently was advertised for a major Middle Eastern airline. Should give a good overview of what is involved and what the prerequisites are.

MAIN DUTIES

1. Act under the direct control of the Flight Dispatch Supervisor to whom he is responsible on shift and from whom he receives his assigned duties.

2. As allocated on shift, responsible for company fuel and flight planning. This shall include the production, collation and checking of flight operations documentation, including the Operational Flight Plan and Pilot Briefing documents, for all standard and non-standard, schedule and charter flights including ETOPS flights. This task shall be done quickly and accurately whilst working under pressure and prepared in order that safety standards be maintained and regulatory compliances, punctuality and cost efficiency requirements are fully met.

3. Responsible for analyzing meteorological information to determine potential hazards to safety of flight and select the most desirable and safe route and alternate airports.

4. Responsible for the aircraft takeoff and landing weight on the flight plan do not exceed the maximum allowable weight for the altitude, temperature and runway condition at the expected time of operation.

5. Responsible for monitoring and take appropriate action in regard to aircraft technical defects which may effect either planning or progress of a flight. If route and/or payload are affected, advise impact to all concerned for proper planning.

6. Responsible for monitoring and taking appropriate action when aeronautical information affecting Gulf Air areas of operations are issued by the respective CAA authorities. The aeronautical information have to be compiled according to company standards and distributed daily to all GF airports to be given to all flights as part of the flight documents.

7. Responsible for monitoring load for each single sector of the flights and input correctly for precise fuel calculation to optimize flight cost

8. Analyze the fuel price of each airport and tanker fuel from cheaper stations without offloading payload for fuel cost saving.

9. Handle the fuel docket for flights departing Bahrain.

10. After crew collecting flight document, monitor significant weather change and aeronautical information effecting flights and advise the crew via ACARS or voice.

11. As allocated on shift, responsible for the filing in a timely and accurate manner, of all ATC flight plan (FPL) with relevant air traffic authorities.

12. Check daily aircraft movement rotation against master schedule for changes against the operational flight plan input sheet output. Monitor daily changes to this schedule and update OFP inputs and re-file FPL as necessary.

13. As allocated on shift, monitor all communications, including Radio (VHF/HF), phone, fax, email, SITA, and any other interdepartmental communication media as required.

14. Maintain, in accordance with Company Standard Operating Procedures, all records required by the Company in an orderly and neat fashion including the daily log of events.

15. Assist with the maintenance of Flight Dispatch dept. manuals.

16. Assist with the provision of ‘on the job’ training for junior staff when required.

QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE

• Higher technical education up to a degree level.
• Computer literate
• Fluency in oral and written English mandatory
• Aviation technical qualifications including a Flight Operations Officer license or Flight Dispatcher license from an approved IATA / FAA / CAA training institution; or 2 year service as flight crew member in air transport operation; or Air Traffic Controller
• Flight Dispatcher Recurrent Training
• Familiarization flight in the cockpit
• Cockpit Resource Management Training
• Annual Competency Check
• The job holder should have a minimum of 3 years working in a major Airline Operations/Flight Dispatch department.

For an FAA Dispatcher Certificate, one of the schools that is well known in the Middle East is Sheffield School of Aeronautics, in Florida. http://www.sheffield.com/

A few other good sources for your browsing pleasure:

http://www.dispatcher.org/
http://www.eufalda.org/

merle
25th Apr 2007, 09:29
Thanks for the info!
Can you tell me where you found this job opening and which company it is? That would be really helpfull!!

I'm stuck to those big 'recruitment-websites' and I feel like my applications end up somewhere on a big pile of application letters, never to be looked at again...
thanks again

merlinxx
25th Apr 2007, 18:38
Excellent. I wish more ramp staff could/would read this post so we could differentiate once for all the application of FLIGHT DISPATCHER. Keep the faith.

easyDays
25th Apr 2007, 20:47
• Higher technical education up to a degree level

A degree :eek:..

merlinxx
26th Apr 2007, 07:33
'tis normal practice in the US

Out Of Trim
26th Apr 2007, 13:18
Just wondering really,

How many Airlines in the UK or Europe operate using the "US Dispatch Method," operating to FAR rules and therefore needing an FAA Licenced Dispatcher to share the responsibilty with the Captain?

easyDays
26th Apr 2007, 16:55
easyJet are sending “ALL” there Ops staff out to the USA to get the FAA licence, they now have 60% of staff qualified :p

merlinxx
26th Apr 2007, 21:21
It's not the fact of holding the license, rather the training in the applicable subjects and areas of knowledge required. The FAA has the only internationally recognized syllabus which covers all areas in depth. In fact it is a degree situation at various establishments such as Sheffield and San Jose Tech in the US. The status is a degree in Aviation Studies. If only Cranfield could implement a similar recognized scheme, maybe the powers that be would wake the heck up! It could become a centre of excellence with the EEU for such Flight Dispatcher qualifications, one hopes before I go punting with St Peter they will!

opsbloke
28th Apr 2007, 07:56
Saudi Arabian Dispatch at LHR operate under GACA / FAR Part 121....License required.....

merlinxx
28th Apr 2007, 19:03
Roger that, the whole SV system does, but PCA/GACA is based upon 121 dispatch, has been from the start aka TWA! still works though does it not? Plse PM me with Capt Crash's ctcs SVP lost them a long time ago. Thks

For all. Check the EUFALDA thread & fraction's post, copy that EUFALDA doc for further info.