PDA

View Full Version : I'm lovin' it

hoodie
24th Apr 2007, 12:34
Smelling salts for BEagle, please (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/index.cfm?storyid=1F6EA9E1-1143-EC82-2EEAC1D9A4CF5249).

Ah, Comrade. Corporate branding: sign of the Capitalist Free West.

Release-Authorised
24th Apr 2007, 12:41
Nearly as bad as the white elephant that was stencil painted next to the door of a Nimrod AEW3 while deployed for an air show at Lossie a good few years ago.

I feel a thread change coming on - whats the worst thing that YOU have seen painted onto an aircraft? :sad:

BEagle
24th Apr 2007, 12:47
Yes, I suppose it'll make it easier for the terminally dim-witted to establish who owns the ancient aeroplanes carrying this silly and wholly pointless logo.
I would have thought that the union flag provided a bit of a clue?

The Swinging Monkey
24th Apr 2007, 14:07
Yes BEagle, but isn't it absolutely great to see that those wonderful airship people have got their priorities so correct, don't you think?

I mean, never mind about directiing funds to ISK to keep our Nimrod fleet alive; and lets not worry that our soldiers don't have enough ammo and proper kit; No, sod them all, lets get those aircraft painted up and sorted out to show the world that they belong to em.......oh yes, the Royal (Bankrupt) Air Farce!

To the boys and girls at ISK who will undoubtedly see this and be wondering why? May I apologise on behalf of the half-brained idiot who decided upon this latest waste of valuable money. Its great isn't it having a cammo' colour scheme only to have a bloody great sign saying RAF plastered on it. God, I despair, whatever next?

Infact, I might just go and start another thread entitled 'What will the fools in charge of the RAF come up with next?' should get a few postings me thinks!

Good afternoon to all
TSM

BEagle
24th Apr 2007, 14:30
No doubt some pony-tailed graphic arts conceptual designer was paid a squillion blatts to come up with such a wunnerful corporate logo?

Another prize piece of work from MoD to match:

1. The oil paintings acquired for the MoD box.
2. The comfy chairs acquired for same.
3. The plasma screen TVs acquired for same.
4. The 'leisure clothing' range.
5. Spirit of Adventure aircraftless air shows. Neither of which are being held at RAF aerodromes.......

:ugh:

6Z3
24th Apr 2007, 15:08
Believe the RN logo was a snip at £40K, wonder what this one cost?

Yeller_Gait
24th Apr 2007, 15:20
I feel a thread change coming on - whats the worst thing that YOU have seen painted onto an aircraft? :sad:
I will offer a starter of the 23 Sqn logo on the tail of ZH103 for the squadrons 90th anniversary last year. It must have taken great artistic ability to paint it such that it looked like it had been painted years ago; it was (and still is) so faded.

8 Sqn tail art (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1139480/L/)

the other side (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1105199/L/)

Y_G

Photos courtesy of Airliners.net

k3k3
24th Apr 2007, 15:29
Links don't work.

speeddial
24th Apr 2007, 15:31
So will the Tri-Stars that had their markings toned down/removed to stop them looking British and attracting unwanted attention in warm places have this painted on the nose to remove all doubt about who operates them?

ATCO17
24th Apr 2007, 17:23
One of the first C130Js to arrive at Boscombe for MAR a few years ago had a Mayfly drawn on the nose....It may fly, it may not! :)

sled dog
24th Apr 2007, 18:57
What happened to the logo " ROYAL AIR FORCE TRANSPORT COMMAND " ?
Ok , it was a long time ago , when we flew to places far and wide ......... and the RAF was a respected force .

Ali Barber
24th Apr 2007, 20:07
Could someone remind me who our CEO is these days. I used to think it was just the other Sqn on the base that was the cowboy outfit, now I realise it's the whole damn company!

Anybody out there still short of body armour or desert camouflage?

wokkameister
24th Apr 2007, 20:29
Can't move for desert DPM or body armour now. Haven't got any aircraft/spares or coherent leadership.
Not sure it was a fair swap!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
24th Apr 2007, 22:29
Mein Gott!

Since when did military aircraft, particularly of the world's first air force, carry bloody logos?

On the subject of grey Nimrods, does anyone remember how much research money resulted in them and some of the tankers being painted overall hemp?

Fluffy Bunny
24th Apr 2007, 23:40
Isn't it the same shade of grey as the AT fleet?

Or maybe it's just some nice french painter fellow got a job lot on the cheap at the local le'B&Q!

XV277
25th Apr 2007, 00:14
Haven't the AT Fleet ALREADY got a great big 'Royal Air Force' written on the side?

Am I cynical in thinking this new logo is positioned just where it will be visible on TV broadcasts of people disembarking?

MadAxeMan
25th Apr 2007, 00:21
Is it just me, or have we been painting a Roundel and the words Royal Air Force (or Royal Navy, perhaps Army too) on our aircraft for quite some time? Hardly NEWS, and I hate the new font too.

I find it saddening that their Air-ships are currently so paranoid about the RAF being absorbed within (one or both) of the other Services that they have to persist with these futile gestures:

Erroneously adopting the Roundel (which signifies a British mil aircraft of ANY Service) as an RAF 'logo':yuk: .

Expeditionary Air Wings. (For fixed bases?!) What is wrong with identifying Squadrons as 'packets' of air power?

AIR Command! Whatever.

If the RAF et al. are going to be combined as a general defence force, a la the Canadian experiment, none of this pontificating is going to matter a jot.

WhiteOvies
25th Apr 2007, 09:00
The FAA and AAC always had their service written on the side to make sure nobody made the grave error of thinking they were RAF. It was thought that having a UK roundel and being a military aircraft would be sufficient to identify the RAF in the majority of cases. In these days of branding and corporate logos I guess it's not as obvious to the paying public.

Mind you - they didn't let 800 NAS/Naval Strike Wing put Royal Navy on their GR7/9s.:hmm:

Kolibear
25th Apr 2007, 09:10
The time to start worrying is when they say that you should all be running at a profit. Each station/squadron/unit/etc etc becomes a profit centre rather than a cost centre.

Art Field
25th Apr 2007, 09:17
The hemp colour scheme was devised by a grossly underpaid boffin, a Mr Barley of Barley Grey fame, working out of a wooden shack at Farnborough. Their world was just as badly treated as todays serving military. Now of course it is a commercial organization called Septic or something and making a fortune for its bosses.

StuartP
25th Apr 2007, 10:44
Since when did military aircraft, particularly of the world's first air force, carry bloody logos?

Since the lunatics took over the asylum and actually doing the job took second place to PR, spin, key performance indicators (carefully worded to avoid all the bits that are too difficult to fix) and b0ll0xspeak. It's just taken the RAF longer to catch the disease. Those of us who work for commercial organisations have long got used to some pointy-haired tw@t wandering up from time to time and telling us we're using the wrong typeface or my screensaver doesn't espouse the correct corporate values, and we ignore them because sooner or later they'll either be replaced with another PHT with another powerpoint presentation or my redundancy offer will have increased to the point where it's worth taking.

Sensible contribution - wasn't the introduction of hemp supposed to render aircraft less visible when parked on concrete ? Not sure where I read that.

Stuart.

airborne_artist
25th Apr 2007, 11:01
In the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/04/19/nppoint19.xml)

Powerpoint presentations, beloved of the business executive, are so ubiquitous that there are even PowerPoint presentations on how to do a PowerPoint presentation.

Now research claims to have proved what millions of bored workers have suspected all along - they have little power and even less point.