PDA

View Full Version : Emirates 1000hours plus factoring - Who has written to GCAA?

Mistah Kurtz
24th Apr 2007, 11:44
It's all very well bitching and moaning about the proposed increase to 1000 hours and the possibly illegal factoring hours for augmented flights BUT who has actually got off their arse and written to the GCAA with their concerns?

GLOC
24th Apr 2007, 12:05
Should be received well by the board of directors...hmmm now let me see...oh yes, same gentleman that sits on the GCAA board of directors is the boss of Dubai DCA and an Emirates Airlines director! Do the math.... :hmm:

donpizmeov
24th Apr 2007, 12:15
Never was any good at maths, so I have sent in a reply. Not sure how much good it will do though. Will have to wait and see.

Don

Remove Status
24th Apr 2007, 14:15
Hey Guys, Just to clarify something here, the head of Emirates and DCA is not the Head of the GCAA.
DCA is The Department of Civil Aviation, is the governing body that oversees the management of Dubai International Airport and its affiliated divisions – the Dubai Cargo Village, Dubai Duty Free, Dubai International Hotel and Dubai Aviation Club.

Mohammed Ghanim Al Ghaith is the Director General of the UAE GCAA Not the Chairman of Emirates.

Second, the 1000 hrs won’t happen because the GCAA asked Emirates to change their FTL if they want to implement that which emirates won’t do. That’s why they came up with this factoring method.

Last, the recording of hours policy was there for a long time (( the operating crew can log all the flying hours but the Augmenting crew can only log the hours when they are occupying an operating seat.)) It’s in the CAR Ops.

So basically there is no point writing to the GCAA I’m afraid

Keep discovering

Gillegan
24th Apr 2007, 15:56
Last, the recording of hours policy was there for a long time (( the operating crew can log all the flying hours but the Augmenting crew can only log the hours when they are occupying an operating seat.)) It’s in the CAR Ops.
No one objects to the policy as it relates to the logging of flight time. What we object to (and what is of dubious legality) is the application of the factoring towards FTL's. If you read the regulation, it is quite a stretch to say that it can refer to FTL's. This is nothing more than a cynical attempt by Emirates to make up for their lack of planning on the backs of the flight crews. If it doesn't immediately cause an increase in the exodus, you can be sure that after a year of 120-130 hour rosters, it will.

Yossarian
24th Apr 2007, 15:57
I did. The more the merrier. And I have a copy for my files.

picu
24th Apr 2007, 16:20
Can anyone post a link or a page number to where I can find details of the so called factoring? I've downloaded the Car ops from the GCAA website and cannot find the text relating to it.
Just to clarify again - details of "factoring" NOT the 1000 hrs issue.
Thanks
Picu

pullup hard
24th Apr 2007, 18:23
EK Lawyer-
I agree with all of your concerns regarding implementation of 1000hrs limit. In my humble opinion, RIGHT NOW AND TODAY, the application of FACTORING towards the absolute flying limît is the main issue.
The CARs clearly indicate that factoring is applicable for the recording of flight hours ( and so does the FCI-Title, by the way...). The application of factoring towards the maximum allowed hours is a free interpretation of EK (whoever that is...there are enough Managers in EK that do not understand that a crew bunk is not home sweet home..)
Comments to the GCAA should refer to that, and not to a 1000hrs limit which has not even been officially announced yet (although it might be soon..). Agree?

kingoftheslipstream
25th Apr 2007, 15:23
:} I have sent my dissenting opinion to the GCAA. Although I have little faith in the local concept of consultation. Fingers crossed.
k-o-t-s

what_goes_up
25th Apr 2007, 15:56
Flt Ops seem to be getting quite aggressive over the issue.
What do you mean by that?:confused:

L1011
26th Apr 2007, 02:43
FWIW (probably nothing) I have written into the GCAA.
Stated that the 1000 hr limit makes no sense unless the 'variations' (i.e. MAA/HYD/COC turnarounds at night) are removed and an extra pilot is provided for all flights above 9 hrs. (BKK-SYD for example)
Don't know if our protests will be heeded, but shouldn't we at least try?

cerbus
26th Apr 2007, 07:30
I my mind 1000 hours a year is the lesser evil than factoring. We have to stop the facotring before they even implement it.
1000 hours a year is "only" 83 hours a month without any leave or sick time. Facotring on the other hand is an animal out of control. We can fly upwards of 130 hours a month for 3-4 months solid and that will kill a lot of pilots. We can do 4 SYD CHC or 4 MEL AKL a month which comes out to 140 hours but only 80 hours under the ruthless Emirates way of factoring hours.
So if I can be so bold to offer to stop the factoring now. That is what we should be concentrating on.

EGGW
26th Apr 2007, 08:14
Yes :D On its way

Dune
26th Apr 2007, 16:35
No need to reiterate but I sent my objections 3 WAYS (via email, fax, and couriered a hard copy to the GCAA).

Irrespective of whatever becomes of any future airline proposed changes to the max hours (under the assumption that our objections will fall upon deaf ears), rest assured your wife and kids flying in my a/c will have a Capt that will not have gone beyond 900 hrs/year (and that will be real hours recorded in accordance with the Cap 371 and not the bull**** hours the GCAA is proposing we record).

Hope all those middle east pilots offer me the same assurance when I put my family in your aircraft.

Professionally,

Dune

GMDS
27th Apr 2007, 14:15
Same, same with me, I assure you!
Mail is in aswell.
GMDS

Yani Yani
28th Apr 2007, 08:15
Ditto............

MTOW
28th Apr 2007, 15:02
I see in yesterday's 'Gulf Today' that Sheikh Ahmed says that EK pilots are not overworked, since they ''only work 100 hours a WEEK'', which is ''the normal industry standard''.

GMDS
28th Apr 2007, 15:40
... and to the question about next years target he said:
"To be quite honest, guys, I have no clue ..."
He must have been on something that would bring any expat to jail
one way. At least he proved right the guys who pretend that he
eats any s#/t TC throws up and has absolutely no clue what's
happening in his company.
Some neighbor displayed the same dismal attitude and woke up
one day with a foul after taste in his throat as there suddenly
was a smokin hole close to his airport ...

woodja51
28th Apr 2007, 17:15
FTLS para 1.1 EK ops:(poor quote but iner alia)

'an operator shall not assign not a pilot operate a flight when he is fatigued or there is reason to suspect that he will become fatigued during the flight..'.

use that as the overriding FTL and you are home and hosed...maybe...Sent my points in too but hey that one allows you to report unfit ... at least if you feel stuffed. and the clinic will back you all the way if you tell them... they are obliged to do that and so far they seem happy to do so...its not all doom and gloom but I think EK have interpreted the whole thing wrongly to suit hour increases due lack of crew.but hey what do I know just push tin!:8

Ramboflyer 1
29th Apr 2007, 02:33
Sorry I cant help guys, but im in the I dont like it leave category , so im leaving. good luck to all who remain.