PDA

View Full Version : SBY's

Stephen82
24th Apr 2007, 10:33
Hi guys

Hope you all ok!! Just wondering if anyone of you know if there is any regulation regarding the number of standby's you are allowed in a month or how to find it!!

Thanks

tiggerific_69
24th Apr 2007, 10:59
Nope i dont think so.check your scheduling agreement with your airline.

Little Blue
24th Apr 2007, 13:36
And don't forget, you lot. A standby duty ISN'T a day off. And when we have to call you out it's not because we feel like it.....so there !..(although, sometimes.......)
Rant over !
Rgds, The ENEMY !!!...
:)

tiggerific_69
24th Apr 2007, 14:01
Ive got a fair bit of respect for "the enemy" ;) they have a very hard job.most of the guys at flybe are very helpful when you call up.most of the bacon crew controllers were pretty sound too.

Little Blue
24th Apr 2007, 14:12
To be fair, we have a very good relationship with the crews (barring a few bad apples, but you'll get that anywhere)
I think it helps for the crew to know who they're dealing with and to realise the job that we're trying to do. We recently moved next to where the crew have their re-currents, SOP's and initial courses and, as they say, respect comes from respect.
The improvement has been immense from both sides.
Even the boys up the front, as well !
:)

747-436
24th Apr 2007, 15:05
Some crew do think SBY's are a day off and moan when they are called but in my experience the vast majority of crew understand that we are not calling them out just for the fun of it and it is because we need to crew a flight!

Where I used to work we had a very good relationship with the crews so that helped I think.

As has been said there are no regulations governing how many SBY's you can have, it is all down to the individual airlines.

Pandora's Box
24th Apr 2007, 15:37
Hi Stephen82,

It depends which airline you work for as 747-436 mentioned! You may be rostered NO sby's or you may be rostered 3 sby's a week. I think most airlines have a swap system as well, so you could swap sby's for flights or visa versa, especially when the flights dont get shared out equally, which is definately the case with my company!!!

As Little Blue previously mentioned, it's so much better now crewing/ops have moved into the main offices.....you can now put a face to the name.....and pinch there chocolate biscuits!!! :) ;)

Jonboy86
24th Apr 2007, 15:41
The best thing to do is work on the worst case scenario. If you go to the CAA website and search CAP371 then this will give you an idea of what could happen. But as someone else said you need to check what the agreement is between your airline and the union

Little Blue
24th Apr 2007, 15:45
Aha...we meet again Pandora !!!
The tin is ALWAYS open.

Stephen82.....
I think that you'll find that as the summer progresses, then yr sby's will be slowly eaten away. Leave/sickness/programme disruption etc.
Enjoy the sby's whilst u can !

Virginia
24th Apr 2007, 21:45
I hate being called off standby. :{