PDA

View Full Version : visas

Gravox
24th Apr 2007, 08:14
When I start employment with Cathay what sort of visa does the wife get?
Will her visa allow her to work in Hong Kong? Are there any limitations attached to it.

Cheers

Freehills
24th Apr 2007, 08:58
She gets the same visa as you. It does allow her to work. Needs to be renewed every year. After seven years residence you can apply for permanent residency.

No big limitations that I am aware of. Well, you can't vote until you get PR...

Dan Winterland
24th Apr 2007, 13:54
Not quite. You get a work visa sponsored by the company. She (and any kids) get dependant's visas sponsored by you. The rules changes last year to allow her to work while in HK on a dependant's visa.
For the first two years, your visas will have to be renewed anually. After that, every two years and as mentioned, after 7 you can apply for permanet residency visas.

milo21
25th Apr 2007, 01:12
What about girlfriends?

Dan Winterland
25th Apr 2007, 04:08
No dependant's visa. Common law wives are not recognised under HK law. She will have to enter on a tourist entry stamp and travel out of HK to renew it every 90 days. Working would be near impossible. However, I notice form your profile you may be from Aus, If your girlfriend is an Aussie or a Kiwi, she can apply for a 1 year temporary working visa. Exemptions for those nations exist.

milo21
25th Apr 2007, 05:57
Thanks Dan,

Is there an age restriction with that temp working visa?? I thought it was 18 - 30 yrs ??

christep
25th Apr 2007, 06:14
Yes - 18-30 for Working Holiday visas, but only good for one year maximum. Details: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_10.htm

WaldoPepper
25th Apr 2007, 08:50
For Sth African's I believe they have to leave the country every 30 days.

WP

slowto280
4th Aug 2008, 02:45
Dilemma

US aviator working temporarily in HKG (1 year), no HKG ID due companys' unwillingness (taxes??) to sponsor (perhaps not correct verbage). Girlfriend holding passport that allows for only 14 day stay. Border Immigration often very inconsiderate, if not abusive.

Tried enrolling in British Council English course as she wants/needs to improve English, but find she needs a sponsor for visa and I am unable due no HKG ID. The lady at Immigration was just lovely, but unable to assist.

Does anyone have any ideas or information that may help her obtain longer visa? I know there is a language school that can help (they sponsor), but at 5,000 HK per month, seems quite steep.

Any helpful suggestions would be/are greatly appreciated.

miron
5th Aug 2008, 04:15
If you get to your girlfriend a contract as a helper she can stay legally with you in HKG as long as the contract last, but remember, you have to full fill all the contract terms.;)

christep
5th Aug 2008, 04:41
No he couldn't because he is working in HK illegally as well. You have to be a HKID card holder to be able to sponsor a DH. He'd have to get someone else to be the sponsor (which would, of course put that someone else at risk of a run-in with Immigration).