PDA

View Full Version : Garden DIY help please

BOAC
23rd Apr 2007, 16:07
I need to fix threaded bolts into paving stone (set on a concrete base) to fix down a fountain. I have been advised I need to hire a 'resin kit' but fancied an easier route of setting the rods in concrete. Does anyone have experience of doing this, and if so will a s/steel rod stay rust free in the air and corrosion free in the concrete or should I use nylon rods?

FlyGooseFly!
23rd Apr 2007, 23:29
Hi Boac,

Firstly - could the slab you want to fix to be moved ? If it can - mark out the holes drill through and lift it - place the bolts through the holes so the heads will underneath the slab and reset.

You can buy proprietory anchors - Ramset - is one make, you drill a hole, push in the anchor and set it by knocking its internal wedge down. To use these devices you'll either need the slab to be quite thick or good concrete underneath.

Stainless steel should not rust at all but you may have trouble finding stainless bolts or studding - I wouldn't use Nylon to fix anything on the heavy side.

Hope this helps.

BOAC
24th Apr 2007, 07:24
Thanks, FGF. Immoveable, not thick enough and 'questionable' base, so option 3 looks likely. I've tracked down some 10mm 'underwater' s/s threaded in a ship's chandler.:ok: Have you any experience of this resin thing/and do you reckon cronky would work instead?

forget
24th Apr 2007, 07:47
There's a Nuclear grade bonding bonding gunge available, Super No-Nails. If your two mating surfaces are roughish, but flat, one tube would mate them for eternity. Job done. :ok:

PPRuNe Towers
24th Apr 2007, 07:49
Any number of places to get Stainless rod, resin and fiittings but Screwfix is a one stop shop.

As you've already sourced the rod locally if you can't find the resin in the local builders merchant I'd substitute a 7 minute polyurethane. If a whole tube is too much to pay for your local woodwork or model shop will sell it in small bottles. "Gorilla" is the most common brand in that smaller size. Longer setting time though.

Caution - the glue expands to fill any available airspace so underglue by 30% and wear gloves - it's a bugger to get off. Any excess can be trimmed or popped off with a chisel while 'green' - solid but not truly set.

Rob

henry crun
24th Apr 2007, 07:53
BOAC: Many years ago I saw a tie down anchor being installed in a concrete slab; it was to hold an F101 on ground runs at full A/b.

The ends of the U bolt were held in the concrete with epoxy, but I cannot tell you what sort, never bothered to ask.

BOAC
26th Apr 2007, 07:50
Thanks all - great advice there. It is a 'Thud' I need to tie down, Henry - will it still hold?:)

TheGorrilla
28th Apr 2007, 00:01
I'll give you some advice.......... About your little Gnome sir!!!!

False Capture
28th Apr 2007, 01:40
Are you suggesting Mr BOAC's garden is full of tacky little gnomes? I suspect you're refering to the powerplant of the de Havilland Vampire.

BOAC
28th Apr 2007, 06:48
Sorry girls - Gnomes are for 'Wussies'. If it ain't a reheated Avon I ain't interested.

Anyway- I have the info I need now, so thanks all, and I trust you 2 have 'Gnomes' to go to.:)