PDA

View Full Version : CASA: Un-%$#&ing Believable!!!

Air Ace
23rd Apr 2007, 12:17
CASA Press Release August 2006:
Rob Collins leaves CASA for fresh challenges

Rob Collins - Group General Manager General Aviation - is leaving CASA next month to pursue a private business opportunity. Rob, who has worked for CASA and its predecessors for almost 16 years, will own and manage a fuel supply and retail business on the Warrego Highway, near Ipswich.

Chief executive officer, Bruce Bryon, said today Rob's decision to leave CASA is sad but completely understandable. Bruce said: "Rob has served CASA in a variety of roles over the years with great distinction. In recent times he has played a key role in reforming the way CASA operates and we will all miss his wide range of skills and his thoughtful contributions. But the lure of running his own business, as well as making a lifestyle change, has obviously been too strong and I wish him and his wife every success in their new venture."

Chief operating officer, Bruce Gemmell, said today Rob's departure will be a loss to both CASA and the aviation industry. Bruce said: "Rob has a huge range of contacts throughout the aviation industry and is very well respected by everyone. This network, as well as his years of experience in aviation, have helped CASA and the aviation industry to understand and successfully meet many safety challenges, particularly in the general aviation sector. While the aviation industry will rue his loss, the local community served by his business will be gaining a talented and friendly business leader."

Rob Collins said today moving out of the aviation industry into a completely different type of business environment was both scary and exciting. Rob said: "This was simply the case of an opportunity arising that was too good to refuse. It is a business with a multi million dollar turnover, with all the challenges that go with that, and my wife and I just want to have a go. I'm leaving CASA with many great memories and I'm proud of the contribution I've made to the organisation's development and progress. I have many friends in CASA and aviation in general and I thank all of them for making my job enjoyable and fruitful over the years."

“The CASA Briefing”
December 2006
“Greg Vaughan has been appointed the new general manager of CASA’s General Aviation group. Greg takes over from the recently retired Rob Collins.”

Sky News April 2007 re the Lockhart River accident:
"The manager responsible for setting those standards was relieved of his position and has since left CASA during the investigation……”

CASA web site today:
CASA Industry Complaints Commissioner (http://www.casa.gov.au/corporat/orgchart/icc.htm)

If you have a complaint for CASA there are a number of ways to let us know:

Alternatively, if you would like to speak to someone personally please contact Robert Collins, acting Industry Complaints Commissioner, by phone on 02 6217 1181 or email [email protected].

Un-%$#&ing Believable!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jerricho
23rd Apr 2007, 14:56
Why don't you give the number a call ;)

Peter Fanelli
23rd Apr 2007, 16:37
So all this time CASA has been run by a gas station attendant from Ipswitch?

Mainframe
23rd Apr 2007, 19:30
Air Ace
What did you expect?

Forget Lockhart River, from previous press releases no one is to be charged, statute of limitations and expiration of time period.

The coast is clear, ok to come out of hiding.
What contempt for the aviation industry!

Lunatics in charge of the asylum, Dracula in charge of the blood bank,
and now this?

Does previous and verifiable form count for nothing?

This very unusual appointment may be tested in the inevitable inquiry into CASA.

Perhaps there is justification, but it better be good to withstand close scrutiny.

and if you wish to complain to Bruce Byron about this appointment,
you can make your complaint to the Complaints Commissioner.

This is nearly as good as a Monty Python rerun.

excellr8
24th Apr 2007, 00:14
J h chr.st

I thought it took people to die for things to change....now that does not even seem to work. Can't believe things this obvious can just be let through to the keeper. Are we entering a new era of 'already made that mistake so it wont happen again'.

No accountability is a very dangerous thing, especially if its the regulator that's meant to be enforcing, not running. There are some really weak souls in CASA. Makes it hard for the good guys to actually get some real reform happening. When you look over your shoulder to much you generally loose focus on where your going.

Fox3snapshot
24th Apr 2007, 05:07
No 'T' in Ipswich mate, and whilst we had a funny farm, a jail and an IQ of 3 in our little town...it is still the proud center of nothing in SE Queensland! :E

farrari
24th Apr 2007, 06:34
I rang the number and got a recording saying Rob Collins, the COMMISSIONER is not avaliable but leave a message. So what is going on:eek:

24th Apr 2007, 07:12
The big CASA revolving door policy.

Jobs for the boys to retirement! :yuk:

megle2
24th Apr 2007, 07:22
Maybe there is more than one Rob Collins

desmotronic
24th Apr 2007, 08:08
For the benefit of all the lurking journos can anyone comment as to the suitability or otherwise of the acting industry complaints commissioner?

Air Ace
24th Apr 2007, 08:23
As most CASA complaints appear to involve the FNQ offices of CASA, if he excused himself from those complaints in which he may have personal involvement or knowledge, he'd have fairly work free employment! :*

Captain Starlight
24th Apr 2007, 10:29
Air Ace and other respondents.

Why should anyone be surprised?

B2 has gone, will he be back as well?

Mainframe, I agree with some of your sentiments, particularly the inquiry into CASA.

What a faux pas B1 has made here, undoing most of his initiatives without even realising it.

I'm going to have a Bex, a cup of tea and a good lay down.

I suggest its all we can do.

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
24th Apr 2007, 10:47
For gods sake, give it a break on the FNQ thing.

There have been claims of malfeasance and the like on these pages, i still have not seen anyone here lay charges against the organisation or the individuals, get over it.

There were issues a few years ago, i for one think the problems have been dealt with.

There is a new team leader, who is a great bloke, some great FOI's and B1 has been obviously watching proceedings closely.

I'm up for a challenge, but trying to blame this gent for Lockhart and other occurences is a long long long bow to draw.

Get a life.

Creampuff
24th Apr 2007, 23:53
The range of candidates for these senior positions is actually quite narrow. Unwritten selection criteria include a demonstrated capacity to:

- sup continuously from a poison chalice;

- immediately accommodate short-term political whims; and

- recite with a straight face: 'There were problems in the past but we are already working to resolve the issues identified in the report.'

Torres
24th Apr 2007, 23:56
:} :} :} :} :}

Creampuff :ok:

Stink Finger
25th Apr 2007, 01:41
Does anyone know what happend to the walking advertisment for birth control "Ronald Mc" ?.

18-Wheeler
25th Apr 2007, 02:03
Maybe there is more than one Rob Collins

I used to fly with a Rob Collins years ago, and he joined the CAA in 1990, so I guess it's the same guy.
I found him to be a very good bloke to work with, quite practical and safe.

(If he's reading this, gidday Robbie, it's Big Bill from the Citation days)

TwoHundred
25th Apr 2007, 10:01
I had dealings with CASA's Rob Collins in a previous life. Had no issues with him whatsoever. Found him to be very professional and easy to get along with.

Best of luck with your new life Rob

Air Ace
26th Apr 2007, 04:08
CASA web site.

Industry Complaints Commissioner

This week I am also pleased to announce the appointment of our new Industry Complaints Commissioner, Michael Hart.

Michael comes to CASA with an extensive background both in aviation and the public service.

He has previously worked with the Australian Defence Force, Australian Customs Service and the NSW Independent Commission Against Corruption.

The Industry Complaints Commissioner role is an extremely important one, as it provides members of the aviation industry with an additional avenue for the investigation or review of CASA processes and decisions.

This is a particularly high profile role and one which has been very well received by the aviation industry since it was established in February last year.

The role adds another layer of transparency and accountability to our processes and ensures members of the industry have another way of seeking review in addition to traditional internal and external avenues.

I am sure you will all make Michael welcome as he settles in to this important role and gets to know our organisation.

Time Bomb Ted
26th Apr 2007, 05:29
Rob Collins was GA wasn't he? How could he be responsible for Airlines? The manager that was shown the door was someone completely different Air Ace.

TBT
Back after a long sleep-in.
:p

Bob Murphie
26th Apr 2007, 07:03
Key words;
"New", (like Norton 2007 antivirus. must mean better).
"Industry Complaints Commissioner". (CASA oxymoron).
"Independant Commission". (Political oxymoron).
"Corruption". (misplaced in context?).
Where did Rob Collins go? (question).
Is he still in the "system"? (question).

If the Commonwealth Ombudsman cannot go outside of his terms of reference, that is, totally within the Government Department involved, how can anyone expect an "INTERNAL" and "Independant" complaints commissioner to do any better bridging the gap betweem the external and internal influences that are the root cause of most angst in the industry?

There are actually "protected species" within the aviation Industry that Mr Hart won't be able to infiltrate, comment or make decisions on.

Air Ace
14th Oct 2007, 13:57
Un-%$#&ing Believable (http://www.rdcollins.com.au/index.htm)!!! :ugh:

international hog driver
14th Oct 2007, 19:19
Great Website for a Gas station........:mad:

Obviously the margins on cokes and mars bars were not enough. But I suppose he can make a buck by telling management types what the guys at the coalface have known for months.

Maybe he is consulting Rex, or QF maint in SYD (just wait until this one blows up in the next months...... its gonna be a doozy):E