PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend Biz Jet flying?

Knuck
21st Jun 2001, 01:54
I am currently a fighter guy looking for some information on the biz jet community. I am specifically interested in how people achieved ratings on type and what conditions are like ie. work hours, level of pay, leave etc. I have 3 years remaining on my contract and as time seems to fly the older I get, I don't think you can start making enquiries too soon. I am an Aussie who's currently flying in the UK on exchange and would like work in Oz if possible, however I am willing to work anywhere if the job seems right. I will be getting out with about 2000hrs 1700 of which will be captain jet time. This probably makes a lick of difference I suspect. So if you have either good or bad experiences I would greatly appreciate your comments or thoughts.

------------------

LRdriver
21st Jun 2001, 02:54
Is that captain time as in 2 pilot ops or as in single pilot fighter time??

Corporate is more of being in the right place right time thing and rightly so you should be starting networking now.

Ps being a fighter jock or ex forces isn't a god given right to go left seat with anybody and 2000 TT is just enough to put you in the "somewhat" qualified bracket amongst other hopefuls.

It will all boil down to your attitude and willingness to work and learn as corporate has no relevance to your prior flying.

But it is the best, most varied kind of flying you can do and I enjoy it immensely(apart from bribing officials at various locations etc..), one day standing -20 in siberia, next day sipping cappucinos at the beach in Antigua.. can't beat the lifestyle (except if you have a family..)

[on goes the flame proof vest..]

con-pilot
22nd Jun 2001, 08:51
Actually LRdriver does make good points. However in the non-military aviation world 2,000hr is not that much experience, To you being a fast jet driver (fighter pilot) that is a lot of experience. However in the civil aviation world until you have 10,000hr most people consider you a rookie, ok to be a FO but not really good enough to be trusted with a big jet with a lot of paxs.

I realize that this may not be fair, but then again many things in life are not fair. You will find that there is a chasm between some civilian pilots and some military pilots, not all.

Bottom line is be perpared to start over at the bottom of the line. Bear with it and you will have a really great life. I should know, I had to start over three times and life is really good now.

Oh yeah, I left a job as a B-727 captain to fly a Saber 65. A lot smaller airplane but a lot bigger pay check and a wonderful life style. It's not the airplane, it's the pay.

[This message has been edited by con-pilot (edited 22 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by con-pilot (edited 22 June 2001).]

Flanker
22nd Jun 2001, 12:23
Knuck

I fly with a mix of guys and my opinion is that generally people with your background have a good attitude to getting the job done professionally.

Some such individuals do think the sun shines from their backsides,the good guys are generally modest(by fighter pilot standards :) )

Most airlines require four or five thousand hours total for a command, so as for <10k being a rookie,I think thats nonsense.In average corporate hours thats probably thirty years flying!

I would not recommend corporate personally because in my limited experience I thought the operating standards were unacceptably low,lower than that of all my previous jobs,including single crew night freight!That will piss some people off but as far as i'm concerned its the truth.People told me that was the case but to my cost I didn't listen.So if you care about good standards,choose very carefully and get the facts about the operation before committing!

con-pilot
24th Jun 2001, 05:44
Flanker, sorry you're right. I guess I am showing my age. When I was younger it was a lot harder to break into aviation.

Anyway, hang in there and things will work out. Good lock.

Edited for too much beer.

[This message has been edited by con-pilot (edited 24 June 2001).]

CL604
26th Jun 2001, 03:20
Biz Jet Jobs ( in canada )

Pay- few pay well

Schedule- few employ enough pilots to be able to schedule a schedule

Vacation- a whopping 2 weeks per year ( but will you be able to afford to go anywhere )

Benifits- nothing you can't get working at fast food joint

Loss of licence ins- loss of what?? forget about it.

Pension plan- poor

The pilots I have talked to in the US have informed that if you are a biz jet FO and a TP captain you can expect about US60K, in Canada you'll get approx US40K in that position or even as a junior captain. No BS.
Think about it.