PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cameras/Memory cards

j2wo
21st Apr 2007, 16:57
Hi everyone,

I have a Kodak digital camera, have had it about 2 years now I think, and now I want to upgrade, just get a better one!

But, I have been using a memory card - a Kodak memory card to store all the photos I took on, and I would like to know if these memory cards are interchangable.

In that, I am looking at getting a Sony digital camera as a new one to my current Kodak, would I be able to use my Kodak memory card with any other camera if it was a different make?

Thank you

bladewashout
21st Apr 2007, 17:11
These things are pretty cheap now: I wouldn't let a 2 year old memory card affect your judgment of a new camera.

The new camera is likely to need much bigger cards anyway.

You can give the old card away when you donate the old camera to a good cause!

BW

innuendo
21st Apr 2007, 19:28
If you are planning on a Sony I think you will find that almost all of them use Sony's "Memory Stick" design of card. It is their proprietary type of memory. Memory sticks tend to be a bit more costly than other types but memory has come down a lot in price. Unless you already have a large amount of one type I would not let memory influence my choice of camera too much.

WALSue
21st Apr 2007, 21:32
Most cards are resonably cheap these days and there are plenty about. The only ones that seems to slightly harder to find are xd as used by Fuji and Olympus cameras although there shouldn't be any problems finding them.
I myself have a Sony Cybershot and its a cracking camera

HuntandFish
24th Apr 2007, 12:53
I prefer SD cards many cameras do use this format . They are widely available and cheap . However the read/write speeds vary like many things the more you pay the faster they tend to be . Some High Streetstores charge outrageous prices though I saw some in T4 LHR for silly money !
So if you are using you camera in burst mode and/or writing RAW files you should get a fast card .

Background Noise
24th Apr 2007, 17:31
J2WO - its the format of the card that will be the issue not the make. It doesn't have to be a kodak card in a kodak camera. As said above if you really want to use the same card you need to get a camera which uses the same type of card - kodak from 2years ago probably uses an SD card, a sony will probably use a sony memory stick. Anyway, as the cameras improve with more megapixels, the size of the picture, in megabits, gets bigger so you need a bigger capacity card. Whilst you may not want to buy a specific camera to fit a one-off card type, it is convenient to have the same card type across devices if you have a number of toys - i try to stick to SD cards which fit my phone, pda, camera and laptop.

izod tester
24th Apr 2007, 19:27
The best prices I have found for memory cards have been from 7dayshop. Putting a link in would upset the mods, just Google 7dayshop. 1GB SD card £4.99.

potkettleblack
25th Apr 2007, 08:56
Also if you plan of getting a PDA or a GPS or anything else that might need a memory card (even my new tv has a slot for one) then think about something like an SD card which will generally cover all of your bases. Actually on that theme it is pretty cool to snap away some pics and then watch a slideshow on your tv.

BombayDuck
25th Apr 2007, 16:19
Just DO NOT buy a low end sony digital camera. (Cybershot series) Avoid them like the bird flu.

Dark Star
25th Apr 2007, 17:25
Bombay,

Why Not ?

I have a DSC T9 with 2Gb memory stick pro and it is excellent at what it does. OK no match for an SLR but very portable and under £200 inc memory.

BombayDuck
25th Apr 2007, 17:46
There is a distinct time lag between click and capture in all the cybershots I've seen so far, and gives a good image only when in bright sunlight or with a flash at close range. Also the flash fills up too narrow a cone. I'd much rather pick a Canon powershot.

Dark Star
25th Apr 2007, 18:07
Bombay,

Thanks for the specifics. I guess it depends on what you are trying to do, different models have their strengths and weaknesses. Given that both WALSue and myself are very happy with Cybershots "Avoid like the bird Flu" seemed a bit of an overgeneralisation.

BombayDuck
25th Apr 2007, 19:36
Fair enough, if it works for you then that's that.

Oh, I just looked up the T9, Sony seems to have cracked the speed issue as it seems to be the fastest in its class in response time. :ok:

So I guess my generalization sticks to the lower end Sonys only (as I mentioned before) as the ones I have used only fall in the 3-5 MP regular category. Would like to give this one a try myself!