PDA

View Full Version : LHR to NZ then MEL, HKG, LHR

Lyneham Lad
20th Apr 2007, 20:55
Am looking for advise on the best airline for flights LHR to Christchurch NZ. After that we will fly to MEL to visit family then want to return via HKG. The last time we went to Oz was with CP. The LHR-HKG leg (B747) was OK but the HKG-MEL leg (Airbus A340) was very uncomfortable (I am 1.90m tall, with long legs).

This time we want to include a 3-week exploration of NZ South Island prior to visiting family in Melbourne. However, I really do not want to go through the extreme discomfort of being squashed into insufficient space yet again :( On the other hand, ANZ PE fares are out of the question. So, who offers the most legroom in cattle class LHR to Christchurch?

OzPax1
21st Apr 2007, 00:03
Why go do you feel the need to use ANZ PE anyway when on both their 747's and 777's have a seat pitch is 34" in normal enconomy? :confused:

Hartington
21st Apr 2007, 07:44
If you were simply going to NZ and back I would second the suggestion of flying Air NZ. The "issue" is the addition of Melbourne.

Two possible solutions. Look at a round the world ticket. Talk to an expert agency like Trailfinders. Apart from the options offered by the "Alliances" (oneWorld and Star both work for your trip and Air NZ is part of Star) they can often put together a combination of other tickets at a competitive price.

Second, buy an Air NZ ticket London/Auckland/Hong Kong/London. Then buy a separate ticket from New Zealand to Melbourne and back. Now, note I said New Zealand/Melbourne. You should be able to buy (for example) Christchurch/Melbourne/Auckland. You can price this yourself using the Air NZ website for the UK/NZ piece and then (separately) Air NZ or Qantas or Jetstar(?) or Virgin Blue(?) or Freedom Air - you might have to price the trans Tazman as 2 one ways rather then a round trip. Alternatively ask an expert agency (another is Travelbag).

In either case use the phone (you can ask questions and dither about much more simply on the phone than the net) as well as your browser.

Monkeytoo
21st Apr 2007, 08:31
I THINK www.seatguru.com (http://www.seatguru.com) gives you the seat pitches for various airlines :8

Gravox
24th Apr 2007, 04:27
I also recommend the Air NZ product. With their aircraft having a refit resently the economy cabin is really comfortable. The PE is great, and the business suberb, but the economy is still very good. I'm 180cm and found plenty of legroom to spare.

The flight from LHR wil arrive in AKL, then you will have to transfer to the domestic service which is average, but it is only 1:20 flight down to Christchurch.

Jetstar are the new LCC flying CHC to OZ.

eastern wiseguy
28th Apr 2007, 21:52
I have asked before but I wasn't entirely certain I asked the correct question sooooo....Do ANZ "sell" their PE seats at LHR on the day of departure if they aren't full? Can you upgrade (obviously paying for it ) on board?:ok:

BurglarsDog
29th Apr 2007, 01:53
Search thread - Economy Long Haul - Best carrier. I asked a similar Q a while back though not for the NZ route i.e Oz - EGLL. You may find some interesting feedback there regarding seat pitch,levels of service etc.
Seatguru.com worth a visit.
BD