PDA

View Full Version : Decision Time - Now or later???

AJMcC
20th Apr 2007, 17:03
Hi everyone,
A bit of a self-centred thread, but I was hoping all you wise people would be able to give me some advice.

I've always wanted to be a commercial pilot, but put off applying so I could go to uni and get a degree. Now that I've almost got my degree (touch wood) I've come to a crossroads in my life. I've been offered a job teaching English in Japan for a year. Although this would be a fantastic opportunity for me to mature and learn a new language etc. etc. it means I'd be putting off my career ambitions once again! Having been to the Flyer exhibition where they said now is the best the aviation industry has ever looked, I don't know whether I can afford to put it off for another year. Also, I've already done a year abroad, so in that sense - been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Do you think it is worth my while going abroad for another year? Will I gain any skills deemed valuable in the aviation world? Will the job opportunities still be there a year later (i.e. training time plus a year)?
Do any of you current pilots out there regret your decision to go straight into flying and wish you'd taken some time to do other things first?

All two-cents worths much appreciated!

AJMcC

Flaperon75
20th Apr 2007, 17:10
I would say go to Japan - at 22 you have 40 odd years of working life ahead of you... there is no reason why the pilot market should change dramatically in the next year or 2 (barring a 9/11 repeat), so why not go and do something completely different before following your career choice of being a pilot.... I doubt you would one day regret being a pilot for 39 years instead of 40!

GoldenMonkey
20th Apr 2007, 18:34
I agree with Flaperon75.
Go enjoy yourself in Japan.

Further to the previous points....

Things may be great now. But that's not to say in 18months - 3 years (however long you take to train) it will be as rosey. So, no point pinning a decision based today's potential.

Superpilot
21st Apr 2007, 06:08
Flying in such a fragile career. If you eff up just one renewal you can't fly until you fix it. Also most medical issues are beyond your control and can render your Class 1 invalid.

Therefore, it's very important to have a back up career path. The average age for starting a flying career is 24. That's average. There's nothing wrong with doing it at 25, 26, 27, 28, 29. Be patient, save some cash, do it the debt free way! ;)

bunnywabbit
21st Apr 2007, 08:34
Being a pilot I have been laid off, made redundant etc

If I could live my life again I would have got a back up plan. By this I should have completed uni and got a more stable career before going flying. For an example my other half is a finance director for a company its not going to happen, but the worst case senario is the company cease trading. All she needs to set up and work from home is a laptop, calculator and a note pad.
So go to Japan learn the language and when your airline folds up 20 years down the line go to plan B. My plan B realistically will have to be pouring pints or serving burgers to spotty kids.

lovezzin
21st Apr 2007, 23:32
dude! im in totally the same situation....although i havent been ''offered'' a job teaching english...thats easy to get anyway! (i know after living in korea for 4 years - well, visitng parents @ vacations)

Im in my final year now @ lboro....im holding out for an engineering job for a year or so, minimising the old student loan, then going CTC. if the engineering job doesnt work out, then i think english teaching in korea is my best bet fopr a year! plenty of spaces + cheaper living than japan! (and a better country! :P)

my Q to you is do you have a TEFL? if not...you might have problems once you are there?? and once u are there....dont become the typical white scum english teacher scum bag 'doing' every asian girl in sight. There is already a bad enough reputation of it.

AJMcC
22nd Apr 2007, 00:09
Thanks for your advice so far everyone.

dont become the typical white scum english teacher scum bag 'doing' every asian girl in sight

White scum isn't my style lovezzin - don't worry!
I don't have TEFL but there is on-the-job training. Can I ask why you're taking a year out? If it's for financial reasons, is it not best just to do the training so you could be earning larger amounts sooner? i.e. be a on first officer's salary rather than an english teacher in korea's salary!

If I could live my life again I would have got a back up plan

I wasn't really planning to make teaching a backup career... Do you still think it's worthwhile?

lovezzin
22nd Apr 2007, 16:07
Well im gonna take a year out as i didnt before uni. I literally went straight from my boarding school to univeristy and didnt take any ''time-out'. I also read another forum about CTC graduate finances...once u 'graduate' CTC and go with your airline, after tax etc etc your finance isnt that healthy and the monthly figure is something like £1500 a month or less....with Student loan repayments on top it wont help. I personally want my student loan gone ASAP and not spread it out over like 15 years (what some ppl seem to think is ok).

my plan of action for this is either get this graduate job for a year or 2...(experience for a back up plan too!)....if this doesnt work out.....doss around in Canterbury @ my sisters uni house getting a regular 'no brainer' job for a year simply to minimise that student loan....but im torn between this or going to Korea for english teaching since i know my way aroud that country so well and have a **** load of friends there....plus my gf is korean (been togetyher 3 years - went to same school and uni) and we both graduate this yr....but she has to go back to korea so....its quite hard to make a decision.

As far as ive read, teaching english aint that good money...i heard u can save about £6000 if you live like a scrub. but if i got a doss job in uk full time on like £15K for a year....free accomodation etc...im sure i could save over £10K! but i dont get to see my gf...

anyway. im defo applying for CTC after....but if i dont get in...im over! its all i wanted to do...LOL bit of a risk take!

redsnail
22nd Apr 2007, 18:10
A year in Japan? Go for it. The Asian market is booming and any skills you have over and above any one else will help you survive. You won't regret it one bit.

You're young enough to "take a year out" and still have a career in aviation.

smoothkpilot
2nd May 2007, 15:59
Totally agree with the other guys.

You're young and you have time on your side. 1, 2 or even 3 years in Japan or pursuing another (back-up) career is the wise thing to do. Use your degree and get some experience related to it. A lot pilots have experienced redundancy and airlines collapsing, it is not a stable industry. Learning a language would be another skill you would have plus experience of another culture. In the meantime you could save some money towards your flying courses. It is an expensive game and try to do it so that you are debt free at the end of your courses. There are many guys out there who have the Frozen ATPL, MCC no flying job and a huge amount of debt. Then they may need to consider a Type Rating (an extra £15k - £25k). It can be very depressing having to work some boring job you hate just to pay back your loans and overdrafts etc. My advice would be to have a plan. Don't believe everything the schools tell you, they need your money, try and enjoy your training and consider budgeting for a Type Rating. Look at your training as an investment, and as with all investments nothing is guaranteed and you must look at both the positive and the negatives.

Just my thoughts and I wish you the best whatever you decide.

:ok:

gone till november
6th May 2007, 15:40
Sorry oh queen of the hand maidens but im going to have to disagree (ps hows the new dog and bone).;)

AJMcC

go and get your licence now as the industry is (despite many doomsters protestations) good.

If you get or should i say when you get your job then your quids in. If the industry turns then at least you will have your fATPL and can go and instruct and teach English or what ever to keep your licence current and be ready for the inevitable upturn.

If you go to Japan then you will get used to earning money living a life meet a partner etc etc and it will be that little bit harder for you to live a life of poverty as a trainee pilot.

Dont forget that if you start now (and get your job), then you will be X number of years closer to command and up the pecking order than if you start in a few years time.

A bird in the hand etc etc.

Good luck with your decisions and remember the sooner you get the JOB then the sooner you start enjoying your life i certainly am and wish that i could have started at your age.:)