PDA

View Full Version : Reports of military jet down in Anglesey

G-CPTN
20th Apr 2007, 11:41
Awaiting further details.

Edited to add 'at an airfield' is being suggested.

Fingers crossed for the safety of the crew.

airborne_artist
20th Apr 2007, 11:49
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6575793.stm

Last Updated: Friday, 20 April 2007, 11:39 GMT 12:39 UK

A jet from RAF Valley on Anglesey has crashed at an airfield on the island, it has been confirmed.

It is understood that the pilot ejected safely during the incident at the Mona airfield involving an RAF Hawk aircraft.

North Wales Police were informed about the incident at 1225 BST on Friday.

Four fire engines and three other vehicles have been deployed to the scene by North Wales Fire and Rescue service.

WPH
20th Apr 2007, 11:50
Some detail from BBC here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6575793.stm).

aa beat me to it!

droid3
20th Apr 2007, 12:44
MOD News pages:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/TrainingAndAdventure/PilotEjectsFromRafHawkTrainingJet.htm

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Apr 2007, 12:45
So a student has pranged a hawk. Whoops.

Carry on.

Wee Weasley Welshman
20th Apr 2007, 12:49
Mind you if its Jim WooWards student then its no wonder, Jim could never land properly...

That was banter by the way.

Cough.

(Don's coat hastily)

G-CPTN
20th Apr 2007, 14:49
The pilot has not been recovered at this stage.
Heard an interview with an eye witness who stated that the bang seat was 'in that tree over there'.
Later reports (confirmed by BBC Website above) suggest that it was the pilot who landed in the tree, then was found lying on the ground. Hope that he isn't seriously hurt and will soon be back in the mess shooting the breeze and collecting drinks.
He was flown to hospital in Bangor where a spokesman said his injuries were not thought to be serious.

advocatusDIABOLI
20th Apr 2007, 15:00
Shemy, some people eject more times, it depends on any injuries sustained in each case.

As an aside, it is true that you can only eject from any given aircraft once.

Advo

MostlyHarmless
20th Apr 2007, 15:00
No limit as long as you're healthy. TBH, if you've been got twice you should take the hint anyway...

engineer(retard)
20th Apr 2007, 15:05
MH but the aircraft are a bugger to fix after the first time.

regards

retard

Union Jack
20th Apr 2007, 15:23
No limit as long as you're healthy. TBH, if you've been got twice you should take the hint anyway...

Come in, Spon Clayton!

Jack

Jobza Guddun
20th Apr 2007, 15:40
Speedy recovery. :ok:

Ivor Fynn
20th Apr 2007, 15:43
God Bless Martin Baker:D :D :D

Ivor

ORAC
20th Apr 2007, 15:46
As an aside, it is true that you can only eject from any given aircraft once. But only because they wouldn't let Wedge have a second trip.....

threepointonefour
20th Apr 2007, 16:21
Jack: No limit as long as you're healthy. TBH, if you've been got twice you should take the hint anyway...

Come in, Spon Clayton!

Are you accusing Spon of being 'healthy'? Ten pints of Black Sheep says otherwise!

Carrots de Chaud
20th Apr 2007, 16:29
Flapless circuit gets my vote.

I just heard on News 24 (:E ) he is OK and is no doubt in the bar right now telling tales of daring do. Thank goodness.:ok:

FFP
20th Apr 2007, 17:56
Ah, the old flapless.

Tightening crosswind, overbank and pull . . . . . . . ;)

It's a QFI's dream (at 10,000 amsl ;) )

Green Flash
20th Apr 2007, 18:16
Advo

"As an aside, it is true that you can only eject from any given aircraft once" ,

..... unless you work at Chalgrove!

Chairborne 09.00hrs
20th Apr 2007, 18:31
Only if you're a dummy, Green!

ORAC
20th Apr 2007, 18:37
Which takes us back to Wedge... :E

Green Flash
20th Apr 2007, 18:45
Well, yes, you have a point, but ..... oh, can't be @rrsed to argue. You know what I mean. Beer calls. (As a matter of interest I wonder who has the all time bang seat record? I know the Bangworthy brothers held the RAF record, or is I talking out of my orifice again?)

Maple 01
20th Apr 2007, 20:13
Orac you're a very naughty man! I hear Mr P is a senior chap and much respected within the branch these days :rolleyes:

Chris Kebab
20th Apr 2007, 20:22
..........it is quite funny tho'
Wedge I mean!

will fly for food 06
20th Apr 2007, 22:48
hope the student is ok, was only talking this week that valley was due for another crash. spooky.

False Capture
21st Apr 2007, 00:15
will fly for food 06,
Did you also 'see' this Saturday's winning lottery numbers?

will fly for food 06
21st Apr 2007, 08:45
123456:) should work:uhoh:

The Adjutant
21st Apr 2007, 13:44
I was occupying a GE slot at 11 Gp when Wedge decided to depart from his a/c. The vitreol from the Air corridor went on for a long time. It then got worse when Wedge decided to publish his story in the C&R Bulletin (I don't think he was paid for it though)

Wedge. Def. The most primitive tool known to mankind.
Quite apt rearly.

I was amazed to find him a senior person in an HQ not far from me. Still, I supposed all the others PVR'ed so I don't suppose the FC branch had much choice.

Mind you, all that happened over 20 years ago now, so we should cut the guy some slack.....maybe not.

High_Expect
21st Apr 2007, 17:31
I guess the student concerned should be thankful he wasn’t at Valley when the bang seat sabotage was happening…. Oh yeah, it was hushed up. My mistake. :oh:

Hope the guys ok though. Anyone know if it was an RAF student? fiver says its not.

ATCO17
22nd Apr 2007, 15:57
Interestingly, the same airframe took the barrier at Mona last October, after the engine failed to spool up during a touch and go....

PPRuNeUser0211
22nd Apr 2007, 18:43
ATCO, seem to remember it wasnt the engine failing to spool up, it was the loud BANG BANG BANG as it did so that was the primary cause of barrier spearing....

High_expect, I'll take your fiver mate, was a RAF stude m'lud... I'll take your fiver and lay it on being a finals turn stall > ejection though!

artyhug
22nd Apr 2007, 20:06
Now follow me through Bloggs.

So as you can see, speeds good, attitudes good but ooh look at that rate of descent......

So what are you going to do if you feel buffet on finals Bloggs?

God make it stop, why can't I forget those wasted years of patter..........

PPRuNeUser0211
22nd Apr 2007, 21:03
Was trying to explain to a mate what might have happened... and basically boiled it down to "doing something you've been told under no circumstances to do because if you do you will crash... and just in case you should by accident do it, make sure you do this other thing otherwise you REALLY will crash..."

BluntM8
22nd Apr 2007, 21:28
The jungle drums are suggesting 2 theories. Either a surge with the gear travelling or an uncommanded roll left. The aircraft was seen to be rolling left as the ejection happened but there was a suggestion that's because it wasn't in trim (!). I'm told that the other guy in the sircuit was looking the wrong way to see anything to help.

If he's reading this, the chap who ejected, hope your feeling better and can get back to the Rugby soon mate!

BluntM8

PPRuNeUser0211
22nd Apr 2007, 21:47
Well here's hoping it was a surge! Uncommanded roll comes hand in hand with fully configured stall in the hawk though.... not unknown to flick roll it when doing them at altitude and end up unpleasantly upside down with full flap and gear!

Lafyar Cokov
22nd Apr 2007, 21:57
Don't you just love it when the uninformed grab the story and twist it to meet thier own political means.........................

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200wales/tm_headline=calls-for-low-flying-ban-after-raf-crash%26method=full%26objectid=18938239%26siteid=50082-name_page.html

Pull the RAF out of Wales and lets see them squealing about lack of government investment I say!!!

PPRuNeUser0211
22nd Apr 2007, 22:29
Aside from that link being full of the most utter drivel I've ever read from Farmer Giles who needs to wind his neck in, check out the MOD spokesman:

"An MoD spokesman said training sorties across Wales would not be suspended in the short term.

"Generally the Hawks aren't necessarily involved in low flying. They're about getting pilots from our more elementary training into a jet aircraft.""

Don't remember doing any low flying at valley... whatsover..

Credibility of spokesperson... Nil....

Blacksheep
23rd Apr 2007, 02:37
Don't remember doing any low flying at valley... whatsover..
Bit tricky, that landing at altitude business. :rolleyes:

Regarding aeroplanes only being fit for ejecting their occupants once: I know a chap who banged out of the back seat of a Red Sparrers Gnat. He was a bit embarrassed to find the aircraft safely parked outside the office - complete with a big hole in the canopy - when he got back.

jonesthepilot
23rd Apr 2007, 10:38
Not true that you can 'only eject from a given aircraft once'.There was a Bucc in the late 70's I seem to remember where the nav got overly concerned about the close proximity of the water(only ankle deep in the back cockpit!) and opted for a Martin Baker letdown. The Bi Winged Demigod took the jet home solo!:ok:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
23rd Apr 2007, 10:48
My favourite clip has got to be Mr James said he had lost countless animals because of the shock of low-flying jets passing suddenly. "They're prepared to pay compensation for cattle, and a person is much smaller."

I'm so pleased to see he has a sense of proportion!

Followed by;

Plaid Cymru MP Elfyn Llwyd, whose Meirionnydd Nant Conwy constituency is also used for low-flying practice, said, "We should stop low flying across Wales." "On top of everything else, low flying is not part of conventional modern warfare."

Well that's it then; Plaid Cymru can't be wrong on military matters.

Slow Roll
23rd Apr 2007, 10:56
RE: Lafyar's post...
"They're prepared to pay compensation for cattle, and a person is much smaller."
With robust logic like that running through low flying complaints, I think we should all launch for LFA 7 post-haste. One last lap of the loop before the gates are shut forever.:E

Fg Off Max Stout
23rd Apr 2007, 12:45
"We should stop low flying across Wales." "On top of everything else, low flying is not part of conventional modern warfare."

Hmmm. What was that thing I used to do in Iraq? Oh yes, that was it: low flying.

Thanks for your input, brains. Carry on, isn't it. Tidy.

dakkg651
23rd Apr 2007, 13:02
Mr Elfyn LLwyd didn't mind St Athan being chosen over Cosford a few weeks ago!

The expression 'hypocritical tw*t' springs to mind.

Wales. What does it contribute these days besides scenery, sheep and cheese on toast? Close the border and let it go broke I say.

Er if the Sons of Glyndwr are still around, I didn't really mean it. Honest.

SmilingKnifed
23rd Apr 2007, 17:30
dakk,

The coordinates of your caravan have been passed to our local ASU.;)

In seriousness, the hypocrisy of these people is stunning. Can anyone think of another industry that would invest in Anglesey? As a proud welshman, I sometimes am really embarassed by these nobbers.

Roadster280
23rd Apr 2007, 17:39
SK - Yes. BNFL or whatever they're called today. Nuclear powerplant in the middle of nowhere in case it got a bit warm.

PPRuNeUser0211
23rd Apr 2007, 18:14
Are they not closing Wilfa down? Sure I heard that somewhere, and then when Wilfa goes AA goes because at the moment they get some massive discount on electricity because they're so close the point of generation, but when wilfa closees, they lose the discount and will go under....

DownloadDog
23rd Apr 2007, 18:30
I've just heard that staff mates from Valley are currently guarding the crash site because there is no one else available to do it! Would someone from the island of dreams care to verify this...

What is the Air Farce coming to?

Best view of Anglesey is the one from your rear view mirror....

PPRuNeUser0211
23rd Apr 2007, 18:37
Yeah there's a snag with there being no (well, ok maybe 15!) airmen there now I guess? This is what happens when you contract out services! No manpower. There was a similar faff when the jet took the barrier in october or so. No manpower to actually look after the jet, leading to threats of air tragic shutting down etc etc etc. Only pool of manpower is all the students who now get to fly even less due to there being 1 less jet!

advocatusDIABOLI
23rd Apr 2007, 18:42
Don't Worry Folks! It will all be OK when the UKMFTS take over...........

Good Grief. :hmm:

Advo

PICKS135
23rd Apr 2007, 22:06
Not true that you can 'only eject from a given aircraft once'.There was a Bucc in the late 70's I seem to remember where the nav got overly concerned about the close proximity of the water(only ankle deep in the back cockpit!) and opted for a Martin Baker letdown. The Bi Winged Demigod took the jet home solo!

XV571 ran off runway at Leuchars. Backseater said bye bye. Driver thought what does he know that I dont, and also said bye bye.

Was repaired, and used for many years as the 43(F) Sqn aero F-4

RRAAMJET
23rd Apr 2007, 22:43
Didn't the stude jump out of a Bulldog once, in a spin...QFI decided to stay with the a/c as the cg change helped it recover? Not exactly an ejection...

I remember the Viet Taff painting "Piss-off Biggles" in huge letters with, remarkably, no spelling mistakes, somewhere near the A5...
I was flying with the Staish who mumbled something about changing the Flying Order Book to recover all a/c over the bloke's sheep-shagging centre... :p

raf4
24th Apr 2007, 01:15
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/raf4_photos/piss_off_biggles.jpg

PRAAMJET

Said sheep-shagging centre pic attached. Enjoy.

RRAAMJET
24th Apr 2007, 05:19
Ahhh yes, that was it....!
Cheers, brought a giggle to my thoughts...:ok:
On a serious note, hope the Stude's OK - an ejection is no laughing matter for him at present, I'm sure.:uhoh:
Edited for: PS ...PRAAMJET...I like it...I might just change...hmmm;)

Release-Authorised
24th Apr 2007, 06:58
It is difficult for the Welsh to be inventive because their language dosn't have words for modern things such as "wheel" and "fire". However at long last they have invented time travel. Last time I crossed the border, life went back 130 years.....

London Mil
24th Apr 2007, 07:23
"On top of everything else, low flying is not part of conventional modern warfare."

Well then Mr Elfyn Llwyd (Plaid Cymru MP) you may be right. How do you fancy a few dozen UAVs instead? Ooops, it would appear that Wales is touting for such business as we speak.

http://www.parcaberporth.com/index.cfm/parc_aberporth/uav2004/en4193

teeteringhead
24th Apr 2007, 08:25
I remember the Viet Taff painting "Piss-off Biggles" in huge letters ... and I understand it's in the Hawk sim graphics too.....:ok:

Regie Mental
24th Apr 2007, 10:07
Plaid Cymru do not reflect the view of the military of most welsh people. However I do find the anti-Welsh diatribe which has surfaced yet again on Prune wholly distasteful. With the 25th Anniversary of the Falklands, the commitment and sacrifice of the Welsh in serving the UK is very clear indeed. Wind your necks in guys.

Release-Authorised
24th Apr 2007, 11:19
Reggie,

It was St Georges Day yesterday, so we superior Anglo-Saxons are entitled to banter the Celts for a further 52 hours. This is nothing like the antagonism I received from the locals when serving at Valley in the 1970s which lasted non-stop and was usually very personal.

What goes around comes around.

Have a nice day.

Double Hush
24th Apr 2007, 11:45
In reply to an earlier comment, it's not the students that are guarding the wreck but the instructors! With Valley a reddish-amber today, the loss of staff probably won't be noticed. Had it been a glorious day.......

Edited for apppawling spolling!

OPSQUEEN
29th Apr 2007, 11:38
Classic - thanks

:D :D :D

mojocvh
29th Apr 2007, 17:48
In reply to an earlier comment, it's not the students that are guarding the wreck but the instructors!

PMSL at that:}

TorqueOfTheDevil
3rd May 2007, 21:05
On the subject of Piss Off Biggles

In the 74(F) Sqn scrapbook from the 90s there was another picture of the Piss Off Biggles farm, taken at low level by a Jag; this remarkably clear picture was accompanied by the letter written by the farmer to the Stn Cdr at Valley, expressing his 'extreme bitterness, anger and resentment' at the fact that, since painting the words on his barn, the number of jets flying over his property had - can you believe? - increased dramatically...

The two letters which the Stn Cdr wrote as a result were also included, one to the farmer assuring him that he (Harry Staish) had spoken to all his pilots and they had all assured him that none of them had flown over said property or even knew where it was; Harry went on to suggest that the jets must have been American!

The other letter was an internal memo to the Valley heads of shed, along the lines of 'give it a rest, everyone' - one quote I remember was "this individual clearly does not understand the psychology of aircrew"! Priceless...

spekesoftly
3rd May 2007, 21:30
He understood the psychology of aircrew perfectly - a closet spotter that deceived you all ! :E