PDA

View Full Version : Army Officers - Standards or Institutionalised?

Melchett01
19th Apr 2007, 20:37
BRITISH ARMY OFFICERS - YOU KNOW YOU'RE INSTITUTIONALISED WHEN...

You think that a check shirt (tucked in), chinos and brown shoes (and may be a v-neck sweater) looks 'casual' on someone under the age of 40....

You wouldn't dream of buying a shirt with either a breast pocket or button cuffs....

You feel slightly guilty when you are at home and you see news footage from places you once were but are no longer.

You use target indication to point out fit chicks...

You use the term 'chicks
'
You insist on dancing like a tit, Ricky Gervais/Alan Partirdge style, whilst your civvie mates insist on trying to dance 'properly'.

You don't understand why your civvie mates won't go out on the piss mid-week, because apparently where they work it's 'not the done thing' to turn up sh*t-faced at midday....

Your civvie mates don't understand any of the terminology you use such as 'no dramas', 'squared away', 'take a knee' etc....

You can't help saying "Roger", "Say again" and other snappy bits of voice procedure when talking to civilians who think you are probably a bit mad.... you quite like it that they think you are a bit mad.

You use acronyms thinking your civvie mates will understand what you are talking about

You don't have any civvie mates....

Your Facebook profile photo is one of you on TELIC or HERRICK in CS95 and ECBA, with an SA80, as if that makes you 'cool' and everyone else in the army hasn't been to Iraq/Afghanistan/Camberley anyway...

You cringe, and mutter under your breath 'haircut', when you see men with long hair.

You walk at a ridiculous pace and are physically incapable of walking at the shopping pace of your girlfriend.

You refer to personal organisation as "admin"

Your girlfriend is stored in your mobile phone address book as '0A'

You use patrol hand signals in a night club if people can't hear you

The idea of training shoes as leisure wear is anathema to you.

You wouldn't dream of polishing a pair of shoes or boots with just one brush.

There have to be a separate 'on' and 'off' brushes....

You always use the 24 hour clock....

You have flashbacks of being wet, cold and miserable whenever you see a Yorkie....

You think nothing of perjuring yourself by lying in court that 'Soldier X is a great bloke with a promising career' despite the fact that he's as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo....

Nothing soldiers do shocks you any more....

You can't watch programmes such as 'Ultimate Force' without giving a running commentary along the lines of "He didn't forward assist" or "Look at the state of Ross Kemp's webbing"....

People in prison have more contact with women than you do....

Whenever you spell something out you use the phonetic alphabet....

You wouldn't dream of using Kiwi liquid polish....

You don't trust your mum/wife/girlfriend/any woman to iron your kit because deep down you think that your ironing is better....

You own a 'Sports jacket' made of the hi-tech wicking, breathable, waterproof fabric known as tweed....

You point using your whole hand in a karate chop motion....

You find that the conversation somehow always comes back round to you, because you're more interesting than most topics of conversation....

You think not shaving is a treat....

You feel guilty if you ever forget to shave on a weekend.

You get really irritated when people you don't know call you 'mate'....

You may find yourself getting bored if there are not at least 10 other single semi alcoholic 20-somethings living in the same building as you, eating in suits à la the 1950's and driving several hours every Friday night to see people who used to be their friends, yet who no longer seem to be able to relate to them and are now referred to as 'f###ng civvies'.

The mere mention of Sandhurst sends you into a two hour conversation on how the log race was longer in your day, you didn't have duvets in juniors and how someone you know in your intake died during phys

You have lengthy conversations about your favourite ORP meal,

You can read a Silvermans catelogue from cover to cover and refer to
everything that is useful as a 'gucci bit of kit

You refer to smoke as 'a double edged sword'.

You spend hours wondering where in civvie street you can get an equal disposable income and at least 6 weeks holiday a year, by completing an inversely proportionally tiny amount of tangible work

You don't think it's strange to have coat hangers with your name on.

Whilst mothers think you are marvellous because you show up on time, bring a gift and write prompt thank you letters, their daughters are less charmed by your stinky chat consisting of strings of acronyms and jargon, your entire wardrobe coming from M&S and your Neolithic pulling techniques.

Your blood boils when you see civvies wearing DPM .

Going out on Thursday "international army night out" wherever it may be, or whichever course one is on, involves forming the ring-of-steel, talking about ourselves and the army and aggressively staring at girls; who if they don't immediately come over are obviously lesbians. Should any man dare break this ritual, and despite talking to the prettiest of girls - as we would like to do, if it weren't for the fact we tend to chew our own tongues and dribble - he is clearly gay!

You don't talk to your family at breakfast, but resolutely read your Telegraph in silence.

'Fancy Dress' is a euphemism for cross dressing or wearing 'offensive' WWII uniforms.

You own a North Face puffa Jacket

You think that anyone who isn't in the Army has 'Stinking chat'....

You are incorrectly under the impression that you can get away with showing 'moral courage' in everyday life, without getting the sh*t kicked out of you by some neanderthal for interfering in his domestic....

You secretly quite like 'cutting about' in uniform in places you really shouldn't....

You use the phrase 'cutting about'....

You come out in a cold sweat if you find yourself still working after lunch on a friday....

You have to stop work at 10am for tea and cakes or else you might not make it to lunch....

At least half of your DVD collection are war movies....

Even though your disposable income is twice that of a civvie you still manage to spend it all, every month, with nothing to show for it, about a week after you've told all your soldiers that you 'can't believe how much money they waste on the piss'....

You feel guilty about wearing jeans in front of senior officers....

You now hate corned beef hash, in any form....

The sight of rolling countryside makes you scan for 'enemy depth'....

You dismiss anyone who might be better than you at something by stating that they're 'Sh*t with weight on'....

You think that eating every meal for a week with the same spoon that you licked clean and kept in the pocket of the same shirt you've worn all week is perfectly normal....

All of your food has to be prepared by a chef because you're incapable of cooking anything that can't either be boiled in a bag or eaten cold....

You lie when people ask you what you do for a living....

Anyone you recognise in that lot? Out pet Army officer was observed having a heated discussion in the car park this afternoon using a twin-handed karate chop pointing motion - obviously highly institutionalised!:p

Floater AAC
19th Apr 2007, 21:01
Brilliant. You're observational skills are spot on.

Maple 01
19th Apr 2007, 21:13
Your blood boils when you see civvies wearing DPM
As an ex-crab that actually bugs me too for some irrational reason and I looked like a bag 'o sh*te in mine....

ZOFO
19th Apr 2007, 21:35
M 01

Brilliant, must admit spot on:D Have sat on the International Airport over here sometimes and just chuckled to myself at the "Grey Man" look adopted by some of these people!!:ugh:

Grimweasel
19th Apr 2007, 21:40
How absolutley spot on...genius!
The sad thing is I can personally identify with at least 50% of it! I must change my ways but when it's all one knows after being 'brainwashed' from 16years old, what's a squaddie supposed to do...
Screw the obvious, get your ducks in a row, shun 5 Div' and stay in Mother Green (Well, Blue now actually!!)

Junglynx
19th Apr 2007, 23:02
I don't know what I'm more worried about.

The fact that I recognise myself in at least 60% of that post.

Or the fact that I think 60% of those things are a good thing :uhoh:

Blacksheep
20th Apr 2007, 00:29
Even though your disposable income is twice that of a civvie... Bwah-ha-har!!! :}

Dream on baby. :rolleyes:

Sloppy Link
20th Apr 2007, 03:19
Surely, the final statement has to be "considers none of the above a bad thing". I too am guilty of probably all of the above at some point. Now being over 40, it is classed as excusable......isn't it?

NRU74
20th Apr 2007, 06:09
Very good.
Not too happy about the ref to M&S - surely Hacketts or their equivalent
Also no mention of not carrying parcels in public - or no brown [shoes] in town
Anyone out there still polish the instep of their shoes ?
Pip Pip

mole man
20th Apr 2007, 09:19
Great post sent to my son he is an Army Osifer

Mole man:D :D :D

Gainesy
20th Apr 2007, 09:30
Hmm, no mention of pink cords?

Mike Oxmels
20th Apr 2007, 10:18
Reminds me of the dining room at the Mess at Shawbury:

All the RAF studes in RAF No 6 uniform (Khaki chinos, blue shirts)
All the army studes in red cords, pink checked shirts, stripy regimental ties, tweed jackets, elbow patches.
All the RN studes in their stinking flying suits.

Happy days

PS Guilty of about 70%

Stressless
20th Apr 2007, 10:37
Like the others who have posted on here I thought this was excellent! The trouble is, now that I have left the services, I still think that the various life skills I have learnt whilst in the Army have certainly done me no harm and have probably done me some good.

I do recognise a lot of the list in me :eek: !! Is it a bad thing? :confused:

Stressless

spectre150
20th Apr 2007, 10:41
Priceless, Melchett - absolutely priceless. I was about to say that as I am of a light blue persuasion then none of the comments apply to me but it is Friday lunchtime (well almost) and i have to leave now.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
20th Apr 2007, 10:45
Bloody hell! that's really scary.

Incidentally, doesn't anyone spell cheque (or more precisely, chequered) anymore?

Union Jack
20th Apr 2007, 11:23
The list sounds perfectly reasonable to me, and it's not at all surprising that one might "feel guilty about wearing jeans in front of senior officers...." - depending precisely on what item of Jean's wardrobe one was wearing! And do try to get the apostrophe thingy right ....

Jack

sharmine
20th Apr 2007, 12:47
Got 3 months stoppage of civvies for wearing jeans in 68.

Sharmine

Pontius Navigator
20th Apr 2007, 14:05
OK Melchett, you've had your fun, now are you going to confess to plagarism before the black Omega arrives?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=268586&page=3

post 56.

I concede that you have added some additional detail but you really should attribute a straight steal.:}

Melchett01
20th Apr 2007, 15:22
PN - apologise, never! Next you'll be expecting me to resign!

Although I might go so far as to offer sentiments of "profound regret" for not having my media team scan the contents of PPrune more thoroughly for a similar thread before passing on a humorous look at Army life, received through work on a very dull afternoon. Although in my defence I did act in all good faith and was under intense pressure from '0A' at the time of posting.

In any case, to prevent a re-occurrence, I shall form a small team to investigate the incident. This investigation will not lead to a witch hunt (Cpl - my office, Monday morning) but will seek to establish the facts as they are known before having the Cpl charged for dereliction of duty :} However, I stand by everything I said.

And now, having concluded the investigation, I appear to have an opening starting on Monday in my "media team", PN, you seem a bright chap with plenty of time on your hands in the afternoons, would you like to apply? :ok:

PS you do have to admit that Ross Kemp's webbing is usually an utter shambles :p

Pontius Navigator
20th Apr 2007, 15:51
with plenty of time on your hands in the afternoons

I refer you to the item below

You come out in a cold sweat if you find yourself still working after lunch on a friday....

conscious of the vague possibility of a cold sweat I have endeavoured to avoid the temptations of Friday afternoons at work. Temptations I have found it incredibly easy to resist.

In fact I am quite weakend by the contemplation of 4 days work in the next fortnight but enervated only by the thought that Auntie is paying for me to have a couple of days rest in hotels. Shame Auntie has refused to pay for my first choice with a health suite; not that I have been able to spare too much time there as the bars frequently open very early.

PS, I shall remember to pack my cufflinks but M&S shirts do not feature in my wardrobe. Mine come from Jerymn Street, on the shady side, not Pinks.

adrian mole
20th Apr 2007, 16:25
My God!! - Thats me...... but I was never commisioned or a Pongo!

Pontius Navigator
20th Apr 2007, 16:56
My God!! - Thats me...... but I was never commisioned or a Pongo!
That figures, Adrian Mole the Walt.

:O

ladyfly
20th Apr 2007, 17:54
So very true, but secretly we all love that we're like that

Pontius Navigator
20th Apr 2007, 19:02
I thought I would just look closely at the list and say which ones I subscribe to. Then I thought it might be easier to just leave the ones to which I didn't subscribe:)

BRITISH ARMY OFFICERS - YOU KNOW YOU'RE INSTITUTIONALISED WHEN...
You have flashbacks of being wet, cold and miserable whenever you see a Yorkie.... never wet, cold and miserable in a hotel

You don't trust your mum/wife/girlfriend/any woman to iron your kit because deep down you think that your ironing is better....you don't iron growbags
You point using your whole hand in a karate chop motion.... Use a laser

You feel guilty if you ever forget to shave on a weekend.my barber taught me not to shave 2 days a week

The mere mention of Sandhurst sends you into a two hour conversation on how the log race was longer in your day, you didn't have duvets in juniors and how someone you know in your intake died during phys didn't go to Cranditz either

You can read a Silvermans catelogue from cover to cover and refer to
everything that is useful as a 'gucci bit of kit if its not free from stores its not worth getting, unless it's a watch or a pen

You refer to smoke as 'a double edged sword'.radar doesn't see smoke

'Fancy Dress' is a euphemism for cross dressing or wearing 'offensive' WWII uniforms. or a growbag

You own a North Face puffa Jacket you don't need a poufter jacket in a bar

You secretly quite like 'cutting about' in uniform in places you really shouldn't.... growbag

You have to stop work at 10am for tea and cakes or else you might not make it to lunch....tea comes earlier in the day

You think that eating every meal for a week with the same spoon that you licked clean and kept in the pocket of the same shirt you've worn all week is perfectly normal.... you get a new spoon with each meal

Mmm. bloody short list of exceptions.

Roadster280
20th Apr 2007, 20:56
It seems to me that we're guilty of trying to live up to standards, and applying military principles to "normal life", whatever that is in the eyes of outsiders, commonly known as "fcuking civvies".
What's wrong with having some pride in ironing one's "kit", and polishing one's shoes?
No matter what constituent shade of purple we happen to be, the principles are remarkably close, and built on hundreds of years of tradition (well, for the RN & Army, at least :} ).
I'm off to arrange my wardrobe by shade of trouser, shirt etc. I noticed this morning that I've let things slip. It being Friday of course, I'm then going out on the lash and hope to score. Well, it's guaranteed really, as I'm going out with 0A, all I have to do is not get too drunk....

Pontius Navigator
20th Apr 2007, 21:04
I was in Pompey last year and there were about half a dozen Navy out on a bash.

Our landlady assured us that we were wrong as the Navy was no longer out in town.

Mm, pressed white shirts, long sleeves, proper trousers, polite, held doors open, walked around us etc etc.

Yeah, typical civvies my a:mad: e

PS, it was a Thursday!

Pongochap
21st Apr 2007, 00:13
Mmmmmmmmm - Real officers

Pontius Navigator
21st Apr 2007, 06:11
On further reflection, I never even thought of using one shoe brush. I was issued with two and I still have the pairs issued to my Uncle (Australian Army) and Aunt (WAAC).

As for using them or pressing clothes, my batman did a wonderful job, even selecting and pressing my suits for the Monday. Tuesday, Thursday soirees in the mess.

SirToppamHat
21st Apr 2007, 06:27
Afraid I conform with many of the accusations, but I don't have any pink shirts or bright red cords! I was told you could spot an Army officer who had done staff college by the fact that, when pointing with the karate-chop motion the thumb was always kept tucked in tight to the palm (something to do with reducing resistance... ?:) ).

Now we have the Joint (=Army) ACSC, I have noticed the same thing coming into the RAF with some of our own recent graduates!

STH

Pontius Navigator
21st Apr 2007, 06:35
I remember being introduced to one of our light blue in the ministry with an apology.

The apology was that he was sartorially sophisticated as he was the only one with a pink shirt. That was in 1971.

Very dapper Sir.

Captain Kirk
21st Apr 2007, 09:30
Yep - I'm banged to rights too by most of that...and proud of it!

Tibbsy
21st Apr 2007, 11:26
'An officer should be comely, spratly and above all else, confident in his own dress and bearing. He should, where possible, eat a small piece of meat each morning with molasses and beans. He should air himself gracefully when under fire and never place himself in a position of difficulty when being shot at. He should eat his meals comfortably and ahead of his soldiers, for it is he whom is more important tactically on the battlefield and therefore he who should be well nourished. His hair should be well groomed and if possible he should adorn a moustache or similar facial adornment. When speaking to his soldiers he should appear unnerved and aloof and give direction without in any way involving himself personally in the execution of arduous or un-officer like duties. He should smoke thin panatellas except when in the company of ladies where he should take only a small gin mixed with lemon tea. He should be an ardent and erudite gentleman and woo the ladies both in the formal environment and in the bedroom where he should excel himself beyond the ordinary soldier with his virulent love making prowess. These I say to you are the qualities of an officer that set him apart from the lay person and the common soldier'.

LTGEN Hubert Worthington
Commander In Chief
5th Royal Indian Mountain Division
Bombay
12th December 1907

charliegolf
21st Apr 2007, 12:01
Tibbsy

Was it the general's subsequent disappointment in not finding anyone to match up that made him turn to beer brewing?

And, that karate chopping pointing.... Is it true that it was the response to brown jobs being told not to point their finger at people when talking to them? They now just point their whole flippin hand!

CG

PS

Eight years service means I recognise all the things posted, but don't seem to suffer any (ok, many!).

Mmmmnice
21st Apr 2007, 15:23
Haven't seen any pink cords in years - combined with my pink shirts, I think they would be just a little too camp! Now red brushed denim...they might do the job. I do think the stereotypes are getting very thin on the ground.....all the Army officers around here think this is hilarious post, and haven't taken offence.........bit of a shot in the dark then?

Rev I. Tin
21st Apr 2007, 15:29
Heard a funny little tale once about an RAF NCO walking around an Army camp in uniform only to be berated by a man in civilian clothes for not paying compliments to a commissioned officer.
The conversation went along the lines of:
'How do I know you are a commissioned officer in order to salute you?'
'BROWN SHOES!!!' came the reply.
No doubt RAF NCO = :confused:

judge11
21st Apr 2007, 16:19
'It seems to me that we're guilty of trying to live up to standards'.....that were once also quite common amongst the civilian population that had such standards inculcated during National Service. The fact that so many items on Melchett's list would appear to be quite absurd to 90% of the current civilian population is a sad reflecttion upon the depths to which our society has sunk. I'm off for a shave!

NRU74
21st Apr 2007, 17:50
mmmnice
Brocklehursts [of Bakewell] have got both Salmon Cords and Claret Moleskins in their sale @ £40 - tremendous value !

DKP1
22nd Apr 2007, 13:45
I haven't shaved since friday morning.......... Why do I feel guilty????

tailchase
22nd Apr 2007, 15:12
Caught sight of somebody during last summer who was without doubt of the persuasion (Green/Dark Blue/Light Blue) wearing red corduroy trousers with a blazer and crossing St James Park and carrying his dry cleaning collection - goodness sake, where's the Batman?

SirToppamHat
22nd Apr 2007, 21:05
If it was the Household Cavalry that was the batman!

Talk about posh ... ;)

STH

Old Ned
25th Apr 2007, 18:34
Standards don'cha know!

Do officer cadets still require a trilby hat (or het) to raise when in civilian clothes and meeting a member of the DS? If so, what do the gels do?? Sigh, them was the days!

Big Bear
25th Apr 2007, 21:34
You think that achieving 10.5 on a bleep test and 17 press ups is an acceptable standard of fitness for a member of the armed forces...

Absolutely old chap, just as the Infantry think that 10.5 on an IQ test is an acceptable standard of intelligence for a member of the armed forces...

Bear

Clockwork Mouse
25th Apr 2007, 22:10
And what, pray, do you think you know about the Infantry then?

Big Bear
25th Apr 2007, 22:41
Enough to be going on with thank you, so please don't try to 'educate' me. I have spent several years in the purple arena and have the greatest respect for the green and dark blue services, enough so in fact as to be able to enter into this light hearted banter without taking offence. Now cut along, there's a good chap.

Bear

Pontius Navigator
27th Apr 2007, 07:21
I may be biased but I have the feeling that the Army Officer list has a rather lighter and lacks the vituperative tone of the RAF Officer.

Whilst there are undoubtedly differences in standards I don't believe that there was any resort to fowl language in the former.

:p sic

Gainesy
27th Apr 2007, 08:40
fowl language

What are you clucking on about?:)