PDA

View Full Version : Routes into Business Jet flying

laurie
29th Sep 2001, 06:52
What is the general route that most pilots take towards flying in Business jets?

It seems most have come to bizjets after a stint in the airlines, with quite a bit of jet time in their logbooks - but is that always the case? or do some relatively low hour pilots get in..?

Laurie

flaps8
1st Oct 2001, 14:51
Laurie
If you are truly new to biz jets [and flying for a living], then my advice is to approach all the operators you can think of where ever you are in the world, and get to know someone in the organisation. However the key thing more in biz flying is YOU, you must convince others you have the personality / mind-set that goes with the job, for instance; making/serving coffee, carrying bags cleaning the aircraft, putting up with an ever changing shedule etc.
If these things fill you with horror and you are the type of person that thinks because you have a nice new shiny licence people must pay you respect then head for the airlines, if not then keep at it, i have employed several pilots with no biz flying experience/low hours BUT the personality to succeed in the enviroment and i am happy to report they have all moved on to bigger and better biz jet jobs, except one who has joined an airline that has most of its routes across the pond. :eek:

apruneuk
2nd Oct 2001, 18:37
Flaps8,

Further to Laurie's post, would you advise prospective bizjet pilots to obtain a type rating before applying for jobs or does that usually come as part of the package?
It is interesting and encouraging to see that some bizjet operators will give low hour CPLs a go, however none of the ads. I have seen would seem to back that up - I get the impression that most F/O positions are filled by word of mouth and don't get as far as being advertised. As you say, it would appear to be a case of getting out and meeting local operators - do you know of any national directories for such companies?

Regards,

aprune

LRdriver
3rd Oct 2001, 01:22
Yep, thats true. F/o jobs do get filled via word of mouth. Fact is with F/O's is that I ask myself the question "do I want to sit next to this guy for the next 7 days?" (hence personal recomendations from friends) It comes down to personality as the guy (or Girl) already has proven that They can fly (true 50% of the time anyway :D )by having the certificate. It is just a question of knocking on doors (well,finding them first really..) talking to people and networking.
Like the man said, its alot of work (no glamour in emptying the toilet at 3 in morning..) but rewarding (new destinations everyday etc..)
The other way is to hang out at the GA terminal at your local small airport and tlk to Kingair pilots and such which would give you access to entrylevel job openings.
Good Luck

:) :)

apruneuk
3rd Oct 2001, 02:21
Thanks for that, LR. Any thoughts on whether having a type rating before you start cuts much mustard and if so, in what? I already have a current Vampire rating but sadly they scrapped the Goblin-powered six seat version before it took flight (although I do believe the wooden mock-up still exists somewhere - yes, I know the real thing was wooden, too, but you know what I mean....).

rgds

aprune

shitstane
3rd Oct 2001, 04:33
Do any of you guy's/girls know anything about biz jet jobs in Australia or about an aussie geting that kind of work around Eruope or the U.K.

scud_runner
3rd Oct 2001, 06:29
Forget Australia. You can count the number of companies with bizjets on two hands. Coke have one, Kerry Packer, Westfields, A medical mob, News Ltd and a few mining companies.(they might be a few more hanging around but not alot more!!) The Rest of the biz jet aircraft in Australia are used for corporate charter, majority of which are based in Perth. There is also a mob in Essenden that has some GIV's, and AJC in Sydney. All these jobs have minimum Jet Time or you work your way up through the company. Any good corporate job in Aus is usually filled by the ex airline type.

[ 03 October 2001: Message edited by: scud_runner ]

flaps8
3rd Oct 2001, 14:25
Apruneuk
Typerating?,yes if you have the money.
The type i would go for is a Cessna CE500 which will give you most of the Citation range. If not able then if you are in the UK seek out GA airfields/handling agents maybe get a part time job at same and get to know people in the buisiness,working in ops is a good way of meeting chief pilots and it will also impress on a CV, but as i said it realy is the individual that counts in biz flying.
Good Luck :D

Julian
3rd Oct 2001, 15:30
Flaps8 - When you say low hours, could you give an idea of how many hours (and licence) the pilots you offered to had?

Thanks,
Julian.

apruneuk
4th Oct 2001, 00:55
Flaps8,

Thanks for the advice - seeing as I already have the FAA CPL/IR and an aversion to the British winter, a couple of weeks in Florida on the Citation is definitely top choice!

Rgds,

Aprune

shitstane
4th Oct 2001, 04:12
Scud runner

thanks for your help mate I've allready spoken to most of the companies you mentioned .

flaps8
4th Oct 2001, 20:53
Julian
Any sort of CPL/IR will do with the amount of hours required these days to get it issued, about 150 - 200hrs total.
Oh and more enthusiasm than you can shake a stick at :cool:

Julian
5th Oct 2001, 11:49
Flaps8 - Thats very refrashing to hear you say that! I had visions of must be 25, 2000TT, 500 Jets, pearly white teeth, etc.. :D

Its nice to know that some people will give enthusiatic pilots a chance. I am slowly working my way through the courses and if I did go into it full time then its biz flying that interests me. Big jets do not same draw to me, I would prefer not knowing where I was going or who I was taking, otherwise it becomes another 9-5 job!

If you can point me in the direction of any useful websites it would be much appreciated.

Julian.

[ 05 October 2001: Message edited by: Julian ]