PDA

View Full Version : A warning and A Reminder.....

Sick Squid
19th Apr 2007, 10:34
After a period away from moderating for personal reasons I've just had a chance to catch up on the SAFE forum and frankly, some of what I have just seen disgusts me.

This forum used to be one of the best on the site, people united by aviating or the desire to commit aviation in one of the most interesting parts of the World. Challenging, diverse, expanding, with all the caveats that employment in such an arena carry. Yeah, there would be the occasional spat, but always with the dark humour and spirit of banter that is necessary to keep sanity in this job.

I've just banned several users for their "contribution" to the Sri Lankan cadet thread, something I have never done lightly. But this time it was easy. So lets set a few ground rules and see how we get on from here.

I notice that many of the people causing problems on this forum are wannabes or low hour pilots. So to you, a question....

Would you sit around a table, or in a room, surrounded by experienced pilots from the airlines you wish to work for and invite someone with whom you hold a differing opinion to "eat my schwarma, oh no, it's too big for your mouth!" Would you really? Would you engage in a barrage of insults, name names of people you have no direct experience of, and back up your allegations with expletive-laden hearsay? Sure?

If the answer to either of the above is yes, then may I suggest you dust off that McDonalds application as I for one, and I know I speak for every qualified and active pilot on here do not wish your presence on the flight deck. Anywhere in the World.

The way people behave under anonymity is a very clear indication of the part of their personality they keep hidden in general, but the part that will come out when challenged. If such a lack of respect and poor skill in construction of argument as I have seen is really becoming endemic in the YouTube generation, then we have a serious problem.

Those of us who should know better have a part to play too; do not rise to any bait, do not respond using like-for-like, remember the best way to destroy an argument is subtly with intelligent questioning and facts. It's a skill sure, but it's a skill that is not only fun to learn, but useful in day-to-day life. Hell, there you go, I've found a way to make an internet forum something beneficial to society in general!

So what's the point? Well if you haven't got it yet, then please, go elsewhere. If you have got it and don't wish to participate under such simple and basic criteria then please, go elsewhere. If you wish to become a professional pilot and don't see the point then may I refer you to the McDonalds sentence above.

Respect, professionalism and courtesy matter. Agreeing all the time is neither necessary nor beneficial, but constructively expressed disagreement is a mark of maturity sadly lacking in several of the examples I have seen recently.

Look inward before you cast outward.

A warm and thankful hello again to the regulars on here who know the score.

Sick Squid

SAFE Forum Moderator.