PDA

View Full Version : AUH closed due to fire

Sir Osis of the river
19th Apr 2007, 04:25
Abu Dhabi was closed this morning for about forty minutes, apparently due to a fire in the Gamco hangar,

The RFF was downgraded to zero, so no movements were allowed.

Anybody know what happened in the hangar?

avgas321
19th Apr 2007, 05:31
Good morning Sir,

Currently the GAMCO facility is out of service due to, I believe, a fire involving a QR aircraft, which is now quite badly damaged. Not confirmed but led to believe an A300. No damage reported to hangar and thankfully only one minor injury reported. The RFF went down to 0 due to all available units attending the fire, but was relatively quickly back up to 9 for all inbound aircraft, and no diversions were necessary.

The hangar and associated offices will be out of action for the remainder of the day.

Regards.

biggles39
19th Apr 2007, 12:47
Afternoon All,

A couple of links to some news it would appear that A7-ABV has been destroyed and it would appear that there were no fatalities.

http://www.jacdec.de/news/news.htm

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/3367090/

Cheers for now

biggles:)

wastafarian
19th Apr 2007, 13:15
looks like gamco has progresed from shody maitnence to burning customer airplanes. :D

shake ahmed's inspector at the civil aviation at the department of civil aviation plays it down-- just "some damage." nice situation when you can run the caa, the airline, the maitnence company too!

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/04/19/213342/aircraft-damaged-in-fire-at-gamco-maintenance-centre.html

SIUYA
20th Apr 2007, 01:14
wastafarian.............

looks like gamco has progresed from shody maitnence to burning customer airplanes

Classic!! :D

It looks like the operator has also had a go at trying to burn it's own airplanes, if rumours are correct that the latest 'casualty' got a bit burnt as a result of an RTO some time back. I think they also practised the airplane burning trick with another A300 RTO 'event' in the late 90's. :hmm:

MikeHunt
20th Apr 2007, 08:51
Oh wait till we talk of red shoes no underwear....:E

SIUYA
20th Apr 2007, 09:46
Mike...........

Ok........I'm getting the picture now (I think). :}

The mind boggles!

MORE popcorn, and a stubby to go with it too please. We're in for a long 'session' here by the sounds of things.

A300Man
20th Apr 2007, 14:34
SIUYA,
ABV was involved in a full evac in MAD last year.
The other RTO that you refer to should actually read RTO's - there was more than one. Two of them, IIRC, were published and well known publicly and involved bird-strikes in KTM and somewhere else that I can't recall exactly.
One of these incidents resulted in one of the QR aircraft (possibly ABN or ABO - not sure) being taken out of service for quite some time. It was replaced by a wet leased Brunei 757 for several weeks, which was partially painted in QR colours.
On another ocassion, another incident necessitated the short-term lease of an Airbus A310 from Red Sea Airlines. IIRC, that was around 1998.
There was one other "RTO" which took place...........but we don't talk about that one.................do we?

Edit: Just remembered one of the 1990's incidents took place in DAC - birdstrike.

SIUYA
21st Apr 2007, 08:57
A300Man............

The 'official' and well-known public version of the reason for the DAC RTO was birdstrike. :E

OK. :E

A300Man
21st Apr 2007, 11:12
SIUYA,

The "other" one I was referring to, and of which no-one speaks, happened a bit closer to home and was seperate to the DAC incident.

This particular one was also of interesting proportions!

AB6

SIUYA
22nd Apr 2007, 02:39
AB6.......thanks.

If the "other" event that you're referring to was "really" close to home, and it involved 'bus + birds=RTO, then I think I've heard of it. :ok:

ironbutt57
22nd Apr 2007, 06:47
Any other damage to other aircraft???

Panama Jack
22nd Apr 2007, 16:24
ironbutt,

Looks like Flight Global has identified damage to an Air Mauritius A319 parked next to the Qatar Airways A300 (which sounds like it is a complete write-off) as well as some lesser damage to a Kingfisher A320.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/04/20/213353/three-airbus-jets-identified-as-damaged-in-gamco-fire.html

Anybody know of any links to sites with pictures of the damaged aircraft?

ironbutt57
22nd Apr 2007, 20:26
How convenient......:}

Panama Jack
23rd Apr 2007, 17:29
Looks like Flight Global has another article out, with pictures of the destroyed A300. "Minor" damage only.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/04/23/213377/pictures-qatar-airways-a300-destroyed-in-gamco-fire-at-abu.html

Mustapha Rex
23rd Apr 2007, 17:50
The painting of the tail to cover up the livery is something I've seen before...:suspect:

Panama Jack
23rd Apr 2007, 17:59
Not sure what you're eluding to Mustapha Rex, but I'm sure there is a good story behind it. :confused:

Pretty common practice after an accident. Not exactly how most airlines want the public to see their company assets.

Then again, some companies simply let their planes get so dirty one can hardly make out the logo. :rolleyes:

outboundjetsetter
26th Apr 2007, 07:00
Any one know whose/ or what type(s) of aircraft where damaged in this fire?

Published on: Thursday, 26th April, 2007

Abu Dhabi - A fire broke out in a hanger close to Abu Dhabi Airport last week causing severe damage to at least one aircraft. The aircraft was parked for routine heavy maintenance at the Gulf Aircraft Maintenance Company (GAMCO) hanger when the fire broke out.
Civil Defence officials rushed to the scene and a spokesman for GAMCO said the fire was controlled quickly. The hangar was safely evacuated and there were no injuries reported.
“All fire detection and protection systems worked as expected, the fire was contained expeditiously by the prompt action of Civil Defence, Airport Fire Department and Gamco staff,” said GAMCO. A full investigation into the cause of the fire is under way.

outbound

the dean
26th Apr 2007, 07:24
outbound...

check out the rumours and news section. i presume you are talking about the same fire..if so the subject is covered there and there are photographs...

hit on ''rumours and news'' and you will find..:ok:

the dean.