PDA

View Full Version : Fugro Hiring process

airborne 06L
18th Apr 2007, 16:54
Anyone know how the Fugro hiring process works?

Whats the usual timespan? Are they hiring at present?:confused:

Cheers:ok:

oompilot
18th Apr 2007, 19:35
I believe that a few pilots have left there over the past few months so there is a good possibility that they are short of crew, especially if you have a few hours on twin turbines, I believe they now have the F406 in the stables. My advice would be to drop a CV there if you are interested in some hands on low level flying on some good machines.

MrBurberry
18th Apr 2007, 22:49
What are their minimum requirements?? I have had just about no luck finding anything online. I have dial up....I cant handle all the fancy company sites and how long it takes to load.

LittleMo
19th Apr 2007, 13:19
I heard they just took a chick with 220TT and like 20hrs on turbines.
Seems they're desperate like everyone else for crew so try your luck.

The Mud Slinger
19th Apr 2007, 16:24
The reason they hire low time guys is because they teach you how to fly properly. The show you how to handle an aircraft. At 200 hours you know little enough for them to mold you and enough to start the plane.

Friends of mine flew there and those boys can really handle an aircraft. They have great training and you will build serious hours. You will be lucky to get in there!

putt for dough
19th Apr 2007, 20:38
Sounds like Top Gun should be training their pilots there :hmm:

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

bianchi
19th Apr 2007, 22:07
PFD

I think that is quite a nice compliment to give Fugro(AOC) !! I also think those guys do real good"hands"on flying,bring back good memories........no auto-pilot involvement !! Sure miss it myself some days !!:ok:

The Mud Slinger
19th Apr 2007, 22:57
No not at all Put for Dough, I have just seen the products of their training and when it comes to hand flying there standard is very high. You must remember it is a different discipline. Alot of us dont do hands on flying any more it is more about management. These guys fly upto 8 hours a day without autopilots. There has to be some benefit skill wise.

Just as instructors, when they leave the flying schools knows alot about procedures but still have many different avenues of aviation to experience same for Fugro guys.

Dont get me wrong I am still trying to make my way to the top, where ever that may be! :ok:

cforty7
20th Apr 2007, 07:02
One of the best things you can do for your flying career and cv is to get your foundations laid at Fugro. They train you from nothing into a self manageble pilot that can take on anything. It's the real deal.

I know, did my first 1000hrs there(AOC), and that's the best thing on my cv. Remember, they're also the first aviation company in South Africa (yes, even before SAA) and every aviation compony that's hiring, know them, the instructors, and there good training record.

It's very hard work in a harsh enviroment, but ends up been good fun and experience. If you can go there or get in, you definately should.

Later on in your flying career, good foundations comes out in things like sim checkrides and emergencies which instructors and fellow pilots notice.

Good luck

sslut
20th Apr 2007, 15:29
Keep in touch with the CP on a weekly basis - go make him coffee if thats what it will take. He is a good guy and wont mess you around - if he thinks you will fit in then he will tell you to hang around till hiring time which can be from 1 day to 1 year. I phoned him on the Wednesday and was told "no job" and then on the Thursday morning was called for an interview. Brilliant company and they WILL teach you to fly, the words "trap daaie blerrie rudders" still rings in my ears!!!! Believe me once you been there flying an ILS is a piece of old tackie. Try flying the equivalent of an ILS for 5 hours a day and see how good you get. Only operating 208s and 406s now, a turbine rating is not essential as they will train you as well.All the time you get there will be P1 as well and the night hours are a bonus as well.

P.S. Nols likes a good bottle of red wine as well.... but he isn't the CP; though it wouldn't hurt to take him some.
Best of luck - its worth the effort to start there.

cforty7
21st Apr 2007, 05:43
Found a article that NH wrote for AOC which only does photography after the geophysics side got bought out by Fugro. Worth reading: http://www.aoc.co.za/newsletters/july2006.htm

pepeafrica
21st Apr 2007, 20:31
hi guys,

few infos :
- We are not flying 8hrs anymore but around 5hrs per flight. the 8hrs was during old days.
-we are flying with autopilot on gravity by night ( 2 crew) on c208 and on the 406 but yes most of our flying is hand flying ( don t forget the Rudders ) single pilot.
- yes the training is very good :safety is more important than anything

-the best way to go in is to talk directly to the CP when you drop your CV or to Nols.
-Fugro takes low time pilots but also 2000hrs pilots depending the contracts requirement.

pepe Africa :ok:

BeechGecko
22nd Apr 2007, 08:00
Hi pepeafrica.

Where do you guys do most of your flying. Is it more in Southern Africa or further up, and if so, which countries? It would be interesting to know because even though I've heard a lot about fugro, I don't really know much about them.

pepeafrica
22nd Apr 2007, 12:33
hi,

i am in Mauritania and should be out by the end of the month.
I flew before in Uganda,Namibia,Angola, Madagascar and Mauritania but Fugro (RSA) can fly in all Africa and Europe : so you can fly anywhere from RSA to Norway . Most off the time you fly in Africa

pepe

sslut
22nd Apr 2007, 12:55
Aha, is that Pepe from Madagascar!!!

As he says you will be working anywhere from Cuba to Norway and down to South Africa. Basically anywhere there is mineral exploration going on and that includes offshore as well.

Foxyflyer
1st May 2007, 16:05
This fugro sounds great. I fly a B-190 4 hours a day without an autopilot and it just makes me bored and tired. I dream of deviating from a straight line. :bored:

MrBurberry
23rd Oct 2007, 17:08
Anybody know what Fugro pays their F/Os on the Casa?? That is the 406 right?? Lookin for some help no BS.

Thanks folks!

Lajka
23rd Oct 2007, 18:45
Fugro Central Region (South Africa) doesn't have a Casa. The F 406's are generally flown single crew so no fo's needed. If client reqires two crew, pilots swap leg for leg. To apply, go to the hanger and hand a CV in. You'll most probably fly a Van for a start, depending on your experiance. Pay is avarage, contract pilots make R 1000/day while in the field, R 100/day retainer at home (all taxable).

Hope it helps.

MrBurberry
25th Oct 2007, 00:15
Thank you kindly for the advice!

poorwanderingwun
25th Oct 2007, 15:24
Don't be too anxious to go job hunting at Fugro... not what it used to be, less and less consideration being given to those in the field... with the market opening up there's little need for experienced people to put up with the b*llsh*t ... shop around.

Choppie
26th Oct 2007, 10:08
Fugro is trying to pick themselves up from that problem. They have losed too many pilots due to that. But I must say they, even if they are full of :mad:, they are looking after their pilots a bit better now. Salaries should be getting better in the near future. The problem is they hire all these pilots with fairly low hours. These pilots build a thousand or so hours and then get stolen by airline companies. It's hard to compete with airlines, but if you have pilots who enjoy what they are doing and getting reasonably good pay I'm sure they will stick around a little longer.

That's why I fly helicopters, because there is no way I would ever go into being a busdriver on an airline. So where else do pilots get the chance to fly fast and low, legally, and build quite a bit of hours doing so?

A few years ago Fugro was the place to be. Give it time and pilots might be flocking there again.

Desperate Wannabe
30th May 2008, 10:05
Hi All
Could anyone please give me some updated info on Fugro, the usual gen, particularly the following;
Salary, Fleet, Duty periods away and at home.
I have done a search but not found anything specific, seems like they went from great down to so-so a while back, but seems they were getting it back together, any comment on what they are like as a company now.
No BS and rumours please okes, just the facts if you have them.
If you don't want to post salary or comments here, please feel free to PM me.

freefly_rulz
30th May 2008, 11:06
Great company to work for, and has always been, care for their staff, and safety ALWAYS take priority above everything else.

If you take off with an aircraft overweight, break flight and duty, etc etc, they will final warning your ass quicker than white on rice. Thats whats really nice about it, you are NEVER expected to go outside the law.

Things are starting to go much better (not that it was close to being bad by the way).

Salary - Not too bad, could most probably give an increase.... :}
Fleet - 4 C208B's, 3 F406's, 1 Squirrel B2, 1 B3, 1 C210.
Duty - 2 Months on, 1 month off

Hope it helps.

Desperate Wannabe
30th May 2008, 14:37
Thanks Freefly, anyone got any more??

hjmemon
30th May 2008, 15:08
hi there.
I am holding FAA CPL/IR with total 910 hrs. (single and multi)
Also hold ICAO CPL/IR.
What is the contact details where i can drop in my cv and also as mentioned in the above posts, what is the phone no. for the CP.
Waiting for reply.

ng78
3rd Jul 2009, 20:10
Any updated info on Fugro? Are they hiring? How about schedules, pay, working conditions, etc?