View Full Version : Wheel Chairs

DONTTELLTHEPAX
18th Apr 2007, 11:34
Some help needed please, My mum has been told that
she will need a wheel chair from now on, this is not
all bad news as she will now be able to leave the house
and even go on holiday.

So now i need to know which battery will be able to be
loaded onto an aircraft and which will not .

thanks in advance for any help :ok:

wiggy
18th Apr 2007, 13:09
IMHO the best bet would be a wheelchair with a non-spillable, gell type battery. Powered wheelchair carriage is governed by Dangerous Goods regulations which (UK anyway) state the wheelchair must always be hold loaded, with various provisions about disconnecting the battery and making sure there is no possiblity of a short circuit across the battery terminals.

Ground Bound
19th Apr 2007, 21:45
My best advice to you is to know as much as possible about the wheelchair you are transporting.

It will have to be hold loaded but you will be able to use it as far as the gate. A 'dry cell' battery will come under lesser rules than a 'wet cell' one, but in either case the battery will have to be disconnected. It will also be of help to your airline if you can provide them with the weight of the chair (this particularly applies if you are travelling in a small aircraft).

In summary, most airlines will help you as much as they can, but the mroe info you give them the more they will be able to assist you.

Hope this helps.

Happy flying

BRUpax
19th Apr 2007, 22:04
......and tell her to avoid Ryanair :E :p Diving for cover :eek:

Ground Bound
19th Apr 2007, 22:13
Good advice BRUPAX.

I had forgotten to mention FR and their notoriously bad treatment of less abled pax.

We cannot tar all airlines with the same brush. I reiterate - do your research

DONTTELLTHEPAX
20th Apr 2007, 20:22
Thank you all for your help and advice, dont worry
I would not let my mum travel Ryanair, she needs
more than they offer :ouch: but still a good Airline for me:} :ok: