PDA

View Full Version : UAS cs95s....

griz87
17th Apr 2007, 23:20
This has been bugging me for a while and just wondering if anyone knows what exactly the rules are for UAS cadets and the wearing of the TRF and 'ROYAL AIR FORCE' patch on our newly issued cs95s. The lovely information handbook clearly displays the 'ROYAL AIR FORCE' patch but i am aware that those photos are taken directly form the general RAF uniform manual but nonetheless surely this is the standard to be followed. The main reason for being keen to wear them is that i go shooting with my mates dad and his army mates and want to avoid the repettative inquiries over the bloody white tabs.

Mike Oxmels
17th Apr 2007, 23:32
If you're shooting privately, with your mate's dad and his mates, off duty, why would you be wearing CS95s?

griz87
17th Apr 2007, 23:34
Its not privately, its an official millitary shoot, my mates dad being a TA major, but its quite an informal atmosphere. But to be honest that part of the post is irrelevant, i just want a nice straight answer if anyone knows.

Mike Oxmels
18th Apr 2007, 00:00
First of all I suggest you ask your UAS staff. I suspect they won't know the answer.

Next, try the rockapes at your parent station Regiment Flt. I have a funny feeling they won't care.

Having exhausted these possibilities, ask your parent station SWO. He will know and his word is law. It is his job to know the answers to such questions, but he probably would not be impressed if you had not tried to find the answer by other means prior to asking him!

I hope that helps, and by the way, I wasn't taking the p1ss before, I was just puzzled as to the scenario you described.

griz87
18th Apr 2007, 00:13
To be honest no-one seems to care. I asked the OC police flight (good mate of ours) and he didnt seem to know/care. Its ok i didnt think you were taking the piss but i do know some over keen ex cadets amongst our ranks. If i see our SWO any time soon i will have a word. SHE (i know its a crazy thought) however is a tyrant and will probably ask why the hell i would even consider attaching such 'REAL' RAF badges to my uniform.

dallas
18th Apr 2007, 06:01
I wasn't aware UAS members were in the RAF - thought it was more of a club to promote an interest in flying with the spin-off for the RAF that some might join the full-time service as a result. Also, do you carry an ID card, have you taken and oath and are you liable to take up arms in defence of the realm (or other people's republics might be a more appropriate task today)?

If you are a wing of the RAF then surely there's no problem, but if not, it's a bit of a Waltish thing to do I suggest. I know the RAuxAF have the badges but as far as I'm aware Air Cadets don't and maybe similar university organisations for the different services(?) can help?

Pontius Navigator
18th Apr 2007, 06:45
Get real chaps.

There are so few people about entitled to wear Royal Air Force on their kit, why do you think their airships sanctioned RAF kit for everyone.

What really pisses them off is that everyone in cabbage kit is call ARMY.

Mind you, when the very same cabbage kitted kids get in to trouble and are called army their airships are very happy :}

griz87
18th Apr 2007, 08:02
Well i do have an ID card which states 'Royal Air Force Reserve Forces' and i have taken an oath. As far as i am aware i am a member of the RAFVR and as such would have thought that the right pocket patch would be acceptable. The OTC apparently wear a TRF but i could be wrong, but there is absolutely no literature on the subject.

TMJ
18th Apr 2007, 08:11
IIRC UAS studes are technically ACs in the RAFVR, but with officer status (except, of course, for those with Cadetships and others given Acting Plt Off). I assume you still wear sqn name badges on the shoulder of your No 1s? Maybe that'd be the way forward.

<pause to be very sad and look at AP1358>

Apparently UAS studes are meant to wear a sqn name badge on No 2 jumpers as well as No 1s; I never did and I've never seen it. Then again, according to the Book, all officers are supposed to wear name badges on our jumpers and No 1s except on cermonial occassions and I can count the number of people I know who do that on the fingers of one hand...
Anyway, the AP doesn't say anything specific about UAS studes and CS95, so I'd have thought the general rules apply and you should wear the badge.

wotsit
18th Apr 2007, 09:18
You boys need to get out more. Seriously.

Haven't any of you discovered beer or girls yet.......

No. Probably too busy leafing through your Janes 'Airplanes of the world' 1988 edition. Sheesh.

Fluffy Bunny
18th Apr 2007, 10:30
IIRC the UAS studes at Nijmegen and the training events leading up to it were wearing the Royal Air Force badge above the breast pocket of their CS95. A few were wearing the TRF as well on the shoulder.
UOTC cadets have it easier as I believe they are issued with rank slides with UOTC embroidered on the bottom. They wear the TRF of the regiment they're attached to.

Wotsit.
They lad asked a pertinent question and has recieved some useful gen in return. The fact that he's asking these questions means he is filling his life with something meaningful in the hours inbetween alcoholic stupor and pubrise, something which you should probably do too.

MadAxeMan
18th Apr 2007, 11:10
Griz,

You wear an RAF cap badge, you have an RAF (VR) 1250, why would you not be entitled to wear the RAF TRF (and the Royal Air Force name badge, for the hard of thinking).

Personally, I hate the whole TRF thing. Firstly it is an RAF Regiment colour scheme, exactly like the Stable belt. It should have been Red White and Blue, you know like the roundal that we have not adopted. But more importantly, we all wear RAF rank insignia which identifies us as different to the Army, and if people can not work that bit out, a TRF is not going to do it. And just don't get me started on the EAW thing. When will the big boys stop playing politics and start addressing some of the real issues.

Rant over, thank you.

(>|<)

AllTrimDoubt
18th Apr 2007, 11:39
Griz
Notwithstanding your initial enquiry, I feel it is of far greater importance that you learn the correct use of the apostrophe, ie "it's" rather than "its" when you clearly mean "it is..."
Having mastered such essentials, you might then ensure the minutiae of your uniform is correct before venturing outside in search of a life....

(edited in response to hefty bite posted below!!!)

c-bert
18th Apr 2007, 11:58
:ugh: Notwithstanding your initial inquiry
"Inquiry" is favoured in English only when talking of formal investigations.
"To enquire" means to request information/look into, hence, enquiry.
Yippee. I've been pulled down the level of an anal retentive. :yuk: :hmm:

cornish-stormrider
18th Apr 2007, 12:02
Griz, do what we all did/do. wear whatever!!

I once had the misfortune to attend a parade practice, we had all been given a letter by swo detailing what to wear........

Yup 65 airmen and 65 dress codes.

First thing he did was ask all sooties to put their hands up, we were then told we were a filthy disgrace to the uniform and not fit to be on his parade square, he then told us to f*cK off.

"With pleasure sir"

Sooties, always there, always filthy. we wore the new Calvin Klein Eau du Avtur.

wotsit
18th Apr 2007, 12:03
This is the worst thread ever.

Cant we just all get drunk and sing sea shanties about dudes craftily dressed like birds???

Mike Oxmels
18th Apr 2007, 12:18
Actually this is the worst thread ever:
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=200511&

A chinny has a crew of only four but not once in 25 years of RAF service, has an entire crew worn the same items of uniform.

The Helpful Stacker
18th Apr 2007, 18:37
When the badges first went on issue there was a signal sent to Supply Sqns explaining who was entitled and more importantly, who weren't.

Only members of the regular RAF or RauxAF are entitled to wear the 'ROYAL AIR FORCE' flash and TRF.:ok:

RAFVR, RAFVR(T) and other general walts are non-entitled.:=

Stuff
18th Apr 2007, 18:40
So I have to be entitled to have to wear badges stating the bleeding obvious?

Union Jack
18th Apr 2007, 18:40
Suggest you have a comprehensive look at http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=269647 which should provide all the details required for you to make an informed decision on the vexed question at issue :)

Jack

Cabbage Patch Kid
18th Apr 2007, 18:54
Have we really got nothing better or more important to spend our Tax-Payers money on :} . And don't get me started about the nice new corporate logo we have on our aircraft.:yuk: