PDA

View Full Version : 25 Years Ago - Vulcan Beats Up Leeds City Centre (Or Does It?)

Midland 331
17th Apr 2007, 20:10
Folks,

Elsewhere (Military Forum) are threads on "Did You Fly The Vulcan" and "What Were You Doing 25 Years Ago"? My question concerns both..

However, whenever I venture out of "spotterville", I usually get turned into pet food by all the steely-eyed professionals, so I'd prefer to post here. (Apparently my twelve years in the industry and family's background in commercial aviation count for absolutely nothing. "Sit down, strap in, don't touch anything, and shut up, laddie")

The Falklands conflict kicked off around 25 years ago. Sitting in a lecture theatre in Leeds University one morning, I felt the whole solid concrete edifice resonate to the sound of an extremely loud aircraft. Afterwards, those with even a passing interest in aviation were all asking "Did you see the Vulcan"?

I understand that it did a low-ish pass of Leeds City Centre at highly antisocial power settings. This was not, so I understand, an approach to 32 at Leeds. I wonder if the crew got a sound dose of military tea and biscuits as a result. Can anyone shed any light on this incident?

r