PDA

View Full Version : My First Line Flight

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Apr 2007, 16:22
Hi all,

Well, I did post on the 2nd of March, sharing my delight of landing my first airline job, and promising to continue contributing to PPRUNE. Whilst reading these forums I have always gained alot of enjoyment and encouragement from people who have taken the time to share their experiences, one that springs to mind was FFF CPL diary and various others. I hope this inspires people who are waiting for their first break, or people who are currently training. I thought this abbreviated 'days events' may be of interest to fellow trainee pilots.

So there I was, at the beginning of March, with a smile from ear to ear on my face knowing that I was going to be an airline pilot, however there was still alot of hard work ahead, and still is! On starting my new job, we embarked on the 2 day induction course, which really was a lot of fun. With the weekend off the following week was spent fighting fires, reviving plastic dummies, swimming with life jackets on, learning about security etc. 4 days in the simulator followed as a refresher course to prime us up for the company LPC/OPC. With that in the bag and 3 days off (as the guy in crewing said, 'this flying lark will get in the way of your days off' ;)) I was looking forward to my first line flight.

Arriving at LHR to pick up my airside pass, I was some 4 hours early, didn't want to be late! The whole day was quite magical. A dear friend of mine, who has been working for the company for 2 years had arranged it that he would be my safety pilot, which was fantastic. We had spent so many hours buzzing around in C152/PA28 and PA34's, and now that was going to change, we were in a 73.5 ton airliner! On meeting my training captain and looking at the weather, I was put at ease, with the emphasis on enjoying the day. With the cabin crew right behind us we headed out to the aircraft. Walking up the steps I could only think to myself, I have got to fly this big bugger! Anyway, cockpit preparation was complete and before we know it I am on the radio to LHR clearance delivery getting the clearance. The captain flew the first leg which gave me a chance to see what was going on, but no time relax the PNF role is the hard bit :).

We arrived at Manchester, and with a quick turn around, it was my turn to get my hands on this monster. I couldnt wait. Pushing back, and taxiing out, I was trying to remember all the SOP's as well as do the checks and remember the correct responses to the checklist. Lining up on 24R and standing up those thrust levers was what it was all about. Out the corner of my eye I could see a beaming smile coming from the jumpseat, I knew what he was thinking, this is what you have been waiting for! The roar of those gas turbines behind me was fantastic. In my mind I could hear the voice of various sim instructors saying 'STICK FORWARD' so didnt forget that on the take off roll. Very quickly I heard the call V1 then rotate, gradually lifting this big bird into the air with my right hand on the side stick. 12 years of hard work, since I gained my PPL, was being projected with a large smile on my face as I called for 'gear up'. The leg was over in a flash, before I knew it we were on the approach to 09L at LHR. The captain instructing me to take the autopilot out on the ILS and 'enjoy myself', well that went without saying :). I couldnt believe what I was doing, the M25 going underneath me, LHR airport in my 2 o'clock, T5 screaming pass the right hand window, this is what I have been waiting for, for the last 27 years of my life, it was great. Into the flare, it was definately an arrival, but the aircraft was in one piece. Arriving on stand and shutting the engines down, it was time to do it all over again.

I know this gets mentioned a lot on PPRUNE, but believe me, the determination, blood sweat and tears going through your training and trying to get a job certainly is worth it when you get there.

All the best, and happy landings.

boogie-nicey
17th Apr 2007, 16:39
Sounds great, well done Cat3_autoland, many congratulations on your achievement and all the best for the future.:ok:

future captain
17th Apr 2007, 16:43
Great post, very inspiring :ok:

ob74
17th Apr 2007, 17:02
WELL DONE CAT 3 AUTOLAND, YOUR PERSEVERANCE SHONE THROUGH. BEST OF LUCK WITH THE REST OF YOUR FLYING CREER. HOPE WE ALL GET THERE SOME DAY??????????/:ugh: :rolleyes:

slayer
17th Apr 2007, 17:10
Well done Andy!! So pleased for you mate, you deserve it!
.....only problem now is that you won't want to come flying in my tractor with me now :sad:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Apr 2007, 17:27
Thanks for the responses guys.

Slayer, I always have time to fly with you in your tractor :ok:. See you soon.

High Wing Drifter
17th Apr 2007, 18:12
Well I can't deny it, that perked me up a bit.

Congrats CAT3. Don't forget to keep us posted :ok:

RoosterBooster
17th Apr 2007, 18:57
CAT3,

Fantastic post. All the best for the future. Enjoy.....

tony2F
17th Apr 2007, 19:49
I smiled the whole time reading that!! Well done CAT3.

:ok:

n90bar
17th Apr 2007, 19:51
great post - it really gives you a boost to know that people do make it after all that hard work!

average bloke
17th Apr 2007, 20:07
Nice one Sir Shiney. :D When does the airbus vs boeing punch up take place in a bar in the vicinity of camberley?

F3
17th Apr 2007, 20:19
A brilliant post to read!
Well done and good luck for the future.

JulietEchoZulu-Mondo
18th Apr 2007, 11:50
Excellent post Cat3C.

MikeSamuel
18th Apr 2007, 11:54
Well done, great read.

PIELORD
18th Apr 2007, 12:01
Great post...I'm jealous though!!:D

CAT3C AUTOLAND
18th Apr 2007, 16:51
Thanks for the comments chaps and chapesses.

Average Bloke, very soon sir. Let me settle in with this flying computer and we will sort something out.

dartagnan
18th Apr 2007, 16:59
congrat,if you like it, good for you...

but i am not jealous at all(like pielord).
I did that recently, and I think that flying a big bird is just boring.

4 legs a day, waiting in the cockpit 50 minutes for pax coming.
making stupid jokes with flight attendants between flights, and flying on AP2 or AP1 with the FMG right after take off is totally a waste of your time.
I don't talk about the Flight Director you have to follow like a monkey...

I have spent years to discover what this job is, and if I do it, it is only for money and not for the flying part .I like flying, but this type of flying (for airlines)is not fun at all!

my dream planes are pilatus,king air,mooney, or light jets...

CAT3C AUTOLAND
18th Apr 2007, 17:07
Dartagnan, first of all I wasn't intending for this post to make anyone feel jealous, I was just trying to share my enthusiasm.

Secondly, if you feel like that, perhaps you should throw in the towel, no point in being unhappy.

rick0
18th Apr 2007, 17:12
CAT3C AUTOLAND, excellent post - very inspiring :)

1 question though, what type of a/c were you flying during the day?

dartagnan
18th Apr 2007, 17:13
sorry, I was just telling you my own feeling and my own desperation.
landing the big bird is great and I loved it too... but I have discovered the real side of this job.it is a job!and you are right, I will throw the towel for smaller planes soon.

rick 0:I think he is on an airbus(he talk about "stick"forward)

bri1980
18th Apr 2007, 17:36
I'm guessing, from the reference to sidesticks earlier and the weight (presumably TO weight), probably an A321?

Am I close CAT3C?

flyasthesky
18th Apr 2007, 17:54
Well done CAT3C AUTOLAND, very happy for you;)

Fab66
18th Apr 2007, 19:40
Keep enjoying it!!! It's a wonderful job...

Dartagnan you should maybe ride your horse and leave the sky free for us...

tom775257
18th Apr 2007, 21:32
congrats!
bri1980 - minus two from your guessed aircraft type and I think you would be on the money! (MTOM)

SinBin
18th Apr 2007, 23:19
Great post CAT3, will see you in the Queens Building or Stockley from June. Just received the dreaded forms this morning......what a nightmare!!:ugh:

Can't wait now!!

bri1980
19th Apr 2007, 06:31
tom775257: If it's MTOM we are talking about (not actual TOW) then I agree!

B

PML
19th Apr 2007, 09:52
Well Done CAT3CAUTOLAND Great post I have just completed my ppl and have aspirations of becoming an airline pilot, your post certainly beats all the negative stuff that goes on here, so well done for that and well done with the job.

G SXTY
19th Apr 2007, 10:14
Well done CAT3C, and thanks for sharing the experience - it's inspiring reading for the rest of us. :ok:

I can picture the grin . . . :E

Cavallier
19th Apr 2007, 11:57
Well done ASWAD. Great post and bought back memories of my first line flight. Dont worry about Average Bloke...........we will take him down in Camberley!

The Cav:cool:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
19th Apr 2007, 19:38
Hey Guys/Gals,

Its great to have so many responses, didnt expect this.

To answer some questions, PML, I remember when I did my PPL some 12 years ago, it was all very exciting, I still have on my PPL pictures, god I was alot thinner in those days :eek:.

Bri, all Airbus's in the series, A319, A320 and A321.

Cav, nice to hear from you mate, when are you coming home again?

Anyway, must get some sleep, have to be up at 03:50 for the early Amsterdams :ok:.

average bloke
19th Apr 2007, 21:36
cav - good to hear from you. but you should know that it takes horse tranquillisers to put me down!

did my first line flight today, only one word - AWESOME :ok:

one day soon
21st Apr 2007, 13:20
Well done Andy

Sounds like a busy but fun time!!!

:ok:

TolTol
21st Apr 2007, 14:39
Well done lad.

But I must say that reading dartagnan's posts is like reading my mind!! I'm not long in the job and I am glad i've done it but by god it is boring. Doesn't matter where your flying to, every god damn trip is the same. Cant wait to find a job on a light twin!:ugh:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
21st Apr 2007, 16:05
TolTol,

Its an interesting point I guess. My heart really is in this game, has been for a long time. Even when I was flying the same routes, teaching the same lessons whilst I was a flying instructor, I can put my hand on my heart and say I never went to work and didnt enjoy it. Actually, tell a lie, I wasnt impressed when I would turn up on a Saturday to learn I have a full day on Terrahawk doing trial lessons :eek:. God I hated that plane, especially when it was windy ;). I am sure it will be the same for flying Airbus's, enjoying it that is.

Anyway, hope you get your job on your light twin.

All the best.

Mungo Man
22nd Apr 2007, 11:32
While I can't say I share dartagnan's desperation, I empathise with Tol Tol. I spent years dreaming of flying, and my ultimate aim was to land a jet at LHR. Now thats accompished I can hardly beleive I made it, however, I have to say it was ever so slightly anticlimatic. Flying straight down an ILS somehow doesn't match the gratification I used to get from nailing a demo glide approaches in a light single onto a short grass strip in gusty winds. I really miss the oppourtunity to really manoeuvre a plane as I wish. On the other hand I get a kick out of seeing all the passengers get off and thinking I've just landed this jet with all these people on board and yet not long ago I was doing trial lessons in a cessna! I also love sitting in the cruise enjoying the view, feasting on all the data presented infront of me, all whilst sipping my cup of tea and earning in an hour what I was getting for a days work!

I certainly shan't be giving up my new position however, I simply spend some of the money I now have on flying for pleasure! Best of both worlds!

Callsign Kilo
22nd Apr 2007, 12:17
Well done CAT3C, your enthusiasm for flying shines through.....it's hardly suprising that a positive fellow like yourself has landed a job in the RHS for a major UK operator. Keep your stories coming, I for one (and I'm sure many others) would love to hear some more as you go through your line training.

RoosterBooster
22nd Apr 2007, 12:23
Totally agree,

Good informative descriptions like that keep us still in the pipe line going. A little motivator shall we say.

Keep'em coming folks.....

Cavallier
23rd Apr 2007, 13:31
Great post from Mungo Man. I have great empathy with what he says! Also having worked with CAT3 I remember the days when he used to beg me to give him lessons in the Tomahawk. Especially stalling part two!
And average bloke who said anything about tranquilisers! You will be on your knees at the end of this footy season..........ha ha ha ha
Fly safe
The Cav:cool:

Caudillo
23rd Apr 2007, 14:54
I think people are being unfair regarding Dartagnan, if not openly dismissive - I for one would applaud him for having the strength of character to admit he doesn't enjoy what he's currently doing. He's right, and I'm sure when you reach the level of experience that I'm presuming he has, you too may come round to his point of view. For now of course, if only weeks or months into it - sure, at the moment you may be full of arrogance and dismissal around such views and people - however, he is correct in that -especially big jet - airline flying is inherently dull by its very nature, as alas, are many of the people you will work alongside. You know that already but it's too early to face it. Telling him to go elsewhere won't change that fact. The trouble is, by nature you're bound to be bright people - in which case the cockpit of an airliner is perhaps the most stultifying place to be, unless given to ops-manual related pedantry.

On the other hand it's got many positives, the most immediate of which spring to my mind aren't even to do with flying, such as - in my case at least - rarely, if ever being stuck in endless rush hour traffic before you get stuck in endless aeroplane rush hour traffic. No regualar 9-5, and it goes on.

On balance, worth it - especially given the alternatives. Certainly not the be all and end all.

And finally, my congratualations.

MajorYaw
23rd Apr 2007, 15:00
CAT3C,

Quality post.

I'm soon to embark on quitting work and starting training, and am presently going through the rollercoaster of emotions of pride, excitement, pensiveness and sweaty-palmed fear, depending upon which aspects of past events and those yet to come I am thinking of.

Reading your post was a big reminder of what I have to work towards and look forward to.

Well done to you for your dogged determination and hard work, and thanks for sharing.

Just goes to show what can be achieved.

Best of luck to you and yours.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

average bloke
23rd Apr 2007, 22:02
Cav,

At least I was not on my knees from the start of the season. At least we know what the O in O'Neill stands for now - zero, zip, nada! :)

Will have to check the old log book, but have a feeling I may have done CATIII's traumahawk checkout many moons ago.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
25th Apr 2007, 14:32
Once again chaps thank you for your responses. Of course it is all still very new to me, but coming into LHR yesterday was fantastic, after a trip back from Palma, I could help having a glance out of my window to see tower bridge and the city of London intercepting the LOC to 27L. I even spotted London Met Uni where I did my ATPL's! I remember sitting outside in the summer at lunch time, back in 2003, looking up watching jets join the ILS at LHR, wondering if I would be there in a few years :). 27L in front of me, hands on the thrust levers, fantastic!

Cav, oh yes, the PA38, dont we just love 10B(ii) in that somewhat over powered, fantastic performing aeroplane ;). Average Bloke, master yoda did my checkout. Don't you remember it was on that dead calm day, and I was wondering what all the fuss was about flying the trammahawk :ok:.

Anyway chaps/chapesses, thanks once again for your comments, enjoy your flying.

SinBin
25th Apr 2007, 15:20
Love to hear your news CAT3, it's inspiring what I have to look forward to in just over a month, when I'm bored sitting in this blasted office!

pilot joshua 1
25th Apr 2007, 22:57
Hey all,

First of all I would just like to say a massive congrats to Cat 3, what an inspiring post, fantastic to read.

I have a few comments I would like to share with you guys, this is my first post but I have been reading through these forums for a long time.

First of all, I am a 16 year old boy who started my PPL at 14, Aviation, to become an airline pilot is my life... and like many others, i am totaly determined and devoted to reaching my goal. This brings me onto my point.

To start with, I am honoured to be posting this along with Airline Pilots in the industry. But after the very inspiring post of Cat3 I am very disappointed to read of the negative things written. I am fully aware that many people feel differently and everyone is very entitled to their opinion, but I constantly read posts full of negativity. Reading these posts will never change my aspirations of becoming an airline pilot. But it is not very inspiring for young budding airline pilots to read either.

I think that pilots who may not be happy in their positions should take a moment before their share their opinions of negativity in such an inspiring post. I have a long way ahead of me yet, and it would be nice to here positive things from pilots within their jobs. I have many friends in the industry who say it’s the best thing in the world. I apologise for the downheartedness of my post, and I also realise that I do not share everyone’s personal circumstances and cannot share their feelings.

I am starting to babble now, but goodness me; People also get almost applauded for injecting negative thoughts in such an inspiring post. Reading Cat 3's first ever day on the line put a huge smile across my face at the dream of myself being their one day, Only to have that smile wiped of by people having no desire to inspire the next generation of pilots.

Please do not think that I am aiming this post at anyone, because really I am not, I just feel a positive lift toward posts and especially inspiring posts such as this wouldn’t heart this forum at all!

Sorry if I offended anyone, and I hope you can empathise with my views and thoughts.

Congrats again Cat3! :ok: :)
Josh

flyboyike
25th Apr 2007, 23:01
I know this gets mentioned a lot on PPRUNE, but believe me, the determination, blood sweat and tears going through your training and trying to get a job certainly is worth it when you get there.

Amen to that!

Twin2040
26th Apr 2007, 01:44
Well done CAT 3 - remember my first TKOF in B727 after small TurboProps - later followed by B757 and Last, long Haul on B767 - now trying the BizJet route to see if I can get back that smile ...............

Sky Wave
26th Apr 2007, 11:16
Josh

Don't worry about Dartagnan.

In February 2006 he wrote:
I am a ryanair pilot, and I suggest you to stay away from them.
I had to wait 12 months before to touch an airplane, they took all my money.I have been threated by their manager tha if I leave they would sue me,...
now I am flying, I wake up at 4 am everyday, we work 13-15h non stop, 7-8 hours fly a day, week end included, no holyday.

It s creazy, we are very tired, and we have to go back flying.
I pay for my B&B, uniform, food, for everything. after 6 months, they didnt pay me yet...

they treat us like ****, even less than a piece of ****, we have to pay even our own pencil, their stupid dispatch room has no office ustencil....

this company is an insult!should I say more?

yet on 10/9/6 he wrote:
just a little sondage on your experience.

slightly over1500h TT, mainly single time, 400 light multi, UK JAA frozen.
still looking after 2 years!

Somewhere else he's said he's been looking for 10 years, and somewhere else 5 years.

It seems that now he may have paid for an A320 type rating with CAE and been placed with Vueling, but in any case he only started the type rating in January
I have applied in April, and I start my training with CAE on the 320 next week.
(not ryanair).

it is hell expensive (24'000+8000euro for base training)
add accommodation, food, transport,license fee,...

regrettably, this is the only training/job I have found which "worths" the money spent .I wanted be sponsored, but no luck!

I started a 737 type rating in January and I only did my first line flight on 12th April, admittedly there were some training delays for me, however if Dartagnan started an A320 rating on 13/1/7 I would think the earliest he would start line flying would be the middle of March, and therefore he's got fed up with it in less than a month.

In fact he was fed up with the company by 10th March
I hope Vueling will pay their first officer a little more. we do a hard job and we have invested lot of money in our training. If you want keep your pilots, pay them more!!! this is not only for Vueling, but for any companies. vueling does not pay for your type rating! only for highly experienced pilots.

pilots join Vueling to fly the 320 (Airbus school?).
You can barely survive if you are single (no kids)...

On 30th March
I discovered something new at Vueling:
before starting on your line training(and thereafter every 6 months), you have to pass an OPC check(operating procedures check

So perhaps he hadn't started line training by April????

It is possible that he is telling the truth, and has now realised he's made a big mistake and flying is not for him.

From a newbies point of view I think that there is so much to learn, so much to think about and consider that you need to put the autopilot in to free up the mental capacity to make sure you doing your job properly. When you join at our level there is so much work to be done, and so much to work towards, initially you are working towards getting rid of the safety pilot, then you are looking to cover all of the Line Training syllabus and perfect your landings to enable you to pass your line check and get rid of the training captain. I find it difficult to see how anyone can find such challenges boring, and Dartagnan is surely in the minority.

Cat3, great post, My first line flight was an amazing experience, it's so good to finally get in the seat after years of training.

INSIDEVIEW
26th Apr 2007, 11:45
at the end you always look for the thing you dont have at the moment ....
same as with females...
enjoy the view ....
cheers

scroggs
26th Apr 2007, 11:52
Whether Dartagnan is genuine or not, the point is valid: quite a few pilots discover that airline flying is not what they thought it would be, and would rather make their future in another area of aviation. There's nothing wrong with that; it would be very surprising if it suited everyone. Unfortunately, the legend and myth surrounding the job has a tendency to generate unrealistic expectations which can lead to a very real sense of anti-climax when you realise that, however nice the view, this is just a job - and a job in an area of industry whose terms and conditions are under sustained, concentrated and indefatigable attack.

You are attempting to join this profession at a time when it is graduating from being a highly specialist occupation, little understood by the outside world and serving a limited, wealthy section of the populace, to one which may become fairly mundane, commonplace and of no great status in the general population. The most costly workers in this industry are the pilots and, with the ever-increasing reliability and automation of the aircraft we operate, combined with the seemingly unlimited supply of cash-rich wannabes, the employers see plenty of opportunities for reducing their overheads and cutting the pilot community down a peg or two at the same time. They, led by Ryanair and similar, would like nothing more than to have this job regarded as no more challenging or remarkable than that of a bus or train driver - and they are working hard to achieve that. It won't be long before there are more pilots in Europe than train drivers...

So, don't be too hard on those who, for whatever reason, tell you that airlines are not for them. There are other, arguably better, options - as I'm sure Redsnail and others will happily remind you!

Scroggs

Craggenmore
28th Apr 2007, 17:16
SkyWave, well done mate.

But surely your wasted as a 73 pilot...you'd be far better as a Detective! ;)

preduk
28th Apr 2007, 19:51
Really good Post, I had a smile to my face just reading it!

Posts like this help me think whether the blood and sweat is really worth it, but who knows will have to wait and see! :)

Best of luck!

Craggenmore
28th Apr 2007, 23:31
They, led by Ryanair and similar

Who's "similar?"

Ryanair is a sham to pilots in terms of perks, but in terms of pay they match many and better more. Many pilots bring their own food with them anyhow..!

...whether the blood and sweat is really worth it

Yes it is. Depending upon airline you will meet incredibly similiar but varied people and its a total blast.

Dont give up! Fight - steal - beg - borrow...

Sky Wave
29th Apr 2007, 09:30
Craggs

6 Days off, I was bored!! :)

SW

Mungo Man
29th Apr 2007, 11:55
Yeah it is a good post this one and I'd just like to add that I went into LHR a couple of times yesterday and it was absolutely fantastic. I just loved it! Way better than trail flights in a traumahawk! Being vectored out of the hold at Bovingdon, flying over Wycombe Air Park, then White Waltham where I used to visit. Then lining up for 9L, over Windsor Castle with 'the Long Walk' stretching away on my right, down over the M25 past T5, and that big big runway all to myself for 45 secs! Magic. Then 50 mins later, accelarating to twice the traumahawk cruise speed past the cargo centre where I was once a loader, left over Wembley stadium, Denham, Luton, etc... Came home tired but buzzing. Must have been a bit down when I made my last post!

Good luck to all those trying to make it, keep working hard!:)

TolTol
29th Apr 2007, 12:37
Excellent post scroggs. People need to know the negatives before they starting spending their money.

aftab
20th Aug 2007, 00:02
Very inspirational posts by cap3c.
Yes i agree, a wanabe should look into both the positives and the negatives. Even after looking into all the negatives, yes i still do want to be a pilot!!

Good luck to all the fellow wanabees. :ok:

BWFiftyworld
22nd Aug 2007, 13:47
Scroggs, whilst I understand some of the sentiment behind your post about "the seemingly unlimited supply of cash-rich wannabes" I cannot help feeling, as a parent (and definitely NOT "cash rich") of an APPFO student at OAT, that there is still a strong feeling out there that people like my son (who has taken out a large loan) are "rich" and perhaps in some way daft for taking this route. The first post in this thread was inspiring, and what I would Like my son to feel on his first trip. He (like probably most airline pilots) has wanted to do this job since he could walk and talk, and he's very lucky he can, healthwise etc. His parents have also had to make considerable sacrifices to allow him to go to what we consider the best FTO and thus hopefully to have the best opportunity to land that first job. Let's give them all the encouragement they all need, eh?;)