View Full Version : Cathay Pacific

Rensal
17th Apr 2007, 07:06
Hi All!

Cathay Pacific is currently recruiting cabin crew from Singapore to do Singapore-Hong Kong-Colombo flights only.

Anyone knows the interviewing procedures for Cathay Pacific?

I got their e-mail to go for their career talk & initial interview next Wed (25 Apr).

Any helpful info will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you v much!!!!!!!!

malvin
17th Apr 2007, 16:46
I've been to the LHR interview, and from what I understand is, LHR base you only have one interview, whereby other base they have two interviews. Should be an easy interview, general questions asked about you so everyone gets different questions, its like a normal job interview and see how you respond....so long you prepare well then you will be fine, unfortunately I didn't prepare therefore the answers I gave wasn't good enough. But next time round, I will know how to answer then, but then again I have to seriously think hard whether I want to work for cx.

Rensal
18th Apr 2007, 09:43
Can u elaborate on the interviewing process? Is there any group discussion in the 2nd round? Approx how many ple got the job in the end?

Why didn't u wanna work for CX? Not good the pay or the working environment?

malvin
18th Apr 2007, 11:31
As far as I know from a friend who is HK base, they don't get group interview. The only thing they had to do was a English test and the normal interview. The first interview was 1-1 and then the second interview it was 2-2-1 interview. He couldn't say how many got the job after the interview as he doesn't know how many people had interviews as it was ongoing.

I didn't pass the interview.

However, if I do decide to reapply, I would be much prepared.

asianspa
19th Apr 2007, 18:13
CX is now a very badly paid job for cabin crew in the london base you will only take home 650 pounds after tax and thats if you fly 4 trips a month as there is no basic salary so if you sick no pay so many crew are leaving and they cant recruit enough people basically if you can speak an asian language and turn up for the interview you get the job but you have been warned

malvin
19th Apr 2007, 20:03
I wouldn't say you will get the job even if you attend the interview. They've already sent the first batch to HKG for training. From what I have been told, they are not interviewing within the next 6months, although they have an ongoing recruitment, as mentioned you can see why they have ongoing recruitment. You be amazed how many people's face expression had changed when they came out of the interview, probably after hearing the rates they will get. You only get paid when you are away from home. Had a nice little chat recently with a current serving crew and she said there are more people leaving then they can recruit. She also said most only work for about 2 years then leave.

Bearing in mind this is LHR.

Rensal
24th Apr 2007, 06:30
Malvin thks for your pm..I guess the pay is not fantastic for the Singaporeans either if they are just flying sin-hk-colombo. But I wonder whether it is worthwhile to give up my current job if CX is paying much lower than what I am currently getting?

Been trying many airlines many times for the past 3 years plus, but still couldn't get it although I keep on improving myself & not to be nervous. Guess the recruitors think I am not suitable for them.

I know that they are known for reserving the jobs for their HK ple only. So just in case, the sin-hk-colombo route is not doing well, that means retrenchment of Singapore crews?

malvin
24th Apr 2007, 06:43
I think everyone who joins cx having worked before will be in the similar situation, unless this is there first job. You could consider this as a experience gainer and later in years move on to another airline.

I've know some people in UK, that has tried at least 3-4th attempt with vs and finally made it through, so I would say keep your head held high and don't let go. After all, as you said, that you're improving.

From what I was told, they are opening a Singapore base, because the HKG crew are struggling to provide the service that cx hopes to give in order to compete against Singapore airways.

asianspa
24th Apr 2007, 09:55
the sin base will be very hard work as you will have to fly a minimum of 70 hours a month and seeing it is only a 3 hour flight to hkg you will be flying alot and as allready said cx are in direct competition with sq and will expect so much from you and will give you nothing in return you are better off either going direct to sq or if you wanna live in hkg apply to oasis airlines as they pay 20,000 hkg dollars a month and cx only pay around 9000 hkg dollars

malvin
24th Apr 2007, 15:26
Glad someone came up with the figures on oasis, as the only thing I knew was that cx HKG crew are moving over to them for this reason, as well as better management.

Rensal
25th Apr 2007, 10:25
Hi guys!!!

Sad news.... Went for the interview today, but I didn't make it to the next round.

The interview goes as follows:

1. 30-min presentation by CX's senior purser
Just a brief intro on CX, aircrafts, benefits, routes.... She never mentions abt the pay package & also never asks us to raise any questions.
All singaorean crews are to fly sin-hk & sin-colombo flights which are turnaround flights.

2. Reach 208cm reach test

3. Self-intro

4. Group discussion- Suggest a new form of entertainment on board the plane.

Only 2 out of 7 ple (1 existing crew with Jetstar Asia & 1 non-crew) in my group get to the final round tommorrow. The rest of us , including me, receives a yellow card that says our application is still under consideration & if we do not receive any notification to go for the next interview within the next 2 weeks from today, we are considered unsuccessful.
Anybody actually recd a call from CX after 2 weeks later?

And we can only apply 6 months later after today, if we are unsuccessful!

I read from other forum that CX chose mainly ex or existing crews from other airlines..

I dun know what went wrong. I just feel that I am confident in my self-intro & say 2 sentences in my group discussion.

Anyone?

malvin
25th Apr 2007, 10:53
Sorry to hear that mate, look on the bright side (I did anyway), at least you've experienced what the interview process is like so during the 6months period practice on the weak area so next time you know what to do. The pay, they most likely will not mention till in the interview or when you get the contract. After my interview, we received the yellow card to wait 6 weeks a lot of people never received a call back. During the 6 weeks I phoned them twice asking for a result and every time they said wait 6 weeks. Phoned them on the 3rd week and then on the 6th week. Keep on applying to other airlines even those that you don't really want to join, just for the interview experience. As they say, there lost another gain.

Rensal
25th Apr 2007, 11:03
Malvin, thks for your encouragement. I got your e-mail. We shall chat on msn.

I feel that CX shouldn't have given us the hope of their calling us in 2 weeks' time. I wonder why they wanna do that. Is it that just in case some of the people they have chosen for the final interview didn't really make the cut, they will call up those not shortlisted for the final earlier on.

malvin
25th Apr 2007, 11:25
Its possible, that can be one way of looking at it, people like us didn't give them that X factor, therefore, put in holding/reserve.

At the mean time, enjoy this little clip of cx :(

http://www.travelistic.com/video/show/184/A-Day-in-Hong-Kong

asianspa
25th Apr 2007, 15:04
sorry to hear you didnt get it well its a blessing trust me another 5 people left today afer only 2 months but like everyone else said apply for all the airlines and then you will get more interview experience and realise how bad cx is ...

Mr. Green
26th Apr 2007, 02:30
Here's some more info to share with you all:

The company is still trying to get the senior cabin crew (especially the non-locals) to take unpaid leave so the hourly paid cabin crew can be utilized. Unfortunately many of the juniors leave in no time and they are having a jolly difficult time to recruit.

Paid is horrible so dont expect much - training is at the bare minimum and more so as a tick in the box. They still expect the same level of service for min. pay - good grief - they are not gonna get it unfortunately. The quality and product has changed - it's simple economics but the company is too arrogant to recognize that.

SIN based cabin crew I was told will only take home about $2500SGD/month and I'm sure you'll have to work really hard for that.

Nevertheless, it can be good gaining some experience and it's always a plus to have CX on your CV for future career goals!

9lives
5th May 2007, 05:15
Hi Mr Green,

I've just gone for my medical checks by CX recently...the checks were pretty thorough...more intensive than those that I've heard from other cabin crews in other airlines... i'm not sure about the next stage of this entire screening and interview process though..but I've heard that we may need to sit for another round, perhaps a language proficiency test, if we pass the med checks.. seems like a really long process...
anyway, i heard from a friend that sin-base crew pocket home at least S$3000/month..though we're not sure which is true.. and yeah, even if they pay slightly less than S$3000/month, I'm still keen on taking up this job as like you've said, it'll be a value-added point in your resume :ok: and especially when it's always been a dream to fly ...even if it means just doing regional turnaround flights...

nevertheless, if anyone out there knows what's CX entire interview process and pay package is like, please enlighten me... your help is appreciated :)

qiutinger
6th May 2007, 11:40
Hi there, i am new here =) And hey, i went for the medical checkup too. Which day did you go? I went on Thurs. And on Thursday the clinic assistant told me that so far since 30th Apri (Mon) there has been nearly 20 candidates for CX who went for the check. And she say it'd be on-going til the 10th. So i guess we won't be hearing anything from them till then? Probably.. 17th? Cox it might take at least a week to get the result. I guess? If anyone hear anything, please share alright =) Thankies..

9lives
7th May 2007, 01:11
hey quitinger,

welcome to the forum...i'm relatively new here too.. :) anyways, my med was on friday morning...it's good to know that you had yours too:ok: ... wow if its about 30 pax by 30 April, this means we probably are seing almost 50 - 80 pax by 4 May...I think the last day of med checks is actuali 4 May..not too sure though...
i thought we were told that results of the meds will only be out in 2 months time, that means sometime in June? Cos as far as i know and have heard, if we are selected, training will commence in July or August...

qiutinger
12th May 2007, 07:54
Hi, a girl was called up for re-test for medical check. Cox there were some minor problem i guess. So could safely say they are still going through the reports. Hopefully by end of May they'd call us :uhoh:

SK Hostess
12th May 2007, 22:18
Malvin, you phoned them twice during the waiting period? Don't take this the wrong way but no wonder why you weren't offered the job! That must have been very annoying for them...

malvin
13th May 2007, 09:31
SK Hostess, not at all taken the wrong way.

The reason why I phoned them cause when I submitted my online application, and waited for the 4 weeks, I never heard from them. When I phoned them, it appears that they never received my application so they said email it across. So after the interview I thought maybe again they "misplaced" my files. I very doubt it was that reason for me being unsuccessful, I knew it was my answering in the interview that let me down.

Nevermind, I could apply again in Aug. if I decide to.

Anyway, I got into BA now.

SK Hostess
13th May 2007, 18:38
Well, still. Calling them twice during the waiting period was probably not the best but good for you if you say the answers were wrong!

malvin
13th May 2007, 21:04
CX was my first airline interview, and first application so wasn't experienced in the procedure, least I have gained something out of it. Mix feelings from various people on this, some say no and some says yes.... but least I know what the real reason was...Asked a friend who is HKG base, and he....chased up 3 times and finally got the results over the phone being successful. :)

Good me for me for getting the answers wrong :eek: make it sound like i deserve it haha. But least having passed one of the toughest airline interviews, now I know what exactly to reply at cx.

SK Hostess
13th May 2007, 22:04
Strange procedure if you have to telephone them several times to receive the outcome of your application! And I never meant you deserved to have the answers wrong, only that if you know the answers were wrong, good for you!

Good luck in your next interview with CX!

qiutinger
18th May 2007, 12:42
Hey! I heard if you haven't got any letter to go for a re-medical check, you are in =S

Don't know to believe or not =(

Anybody heard anything from Cathay, please share?

9lives
19th May 2007, 11:46
Hey quitinger,
im trying to be positive here cos i got a call to do a re-medical checkup as well, just to get my surgeon to certify and rite a note to cx mentioning that the surgery i'd gone through before is definitely not going to affect my duty as a future flight attendant, if accepted by the airline.
another fren whom i met at cx interview and who's been flying with another airline for years, received a call for a re-medical check-up too.
i personally feel that for the fact the airline is willing to invest on you again, to come by for another re-med check-up, shouldn't we feel happy or at least pleased about it & not have negative thoughts instead? bearing in mind that each time we visit the airline's appointed clinic, we're adding on to their expenses list...let's just hope that it's good news to receive another call for 2nd check-up from them and see it as getting us a step closer to being selected :) :ok:
so, keep your spirits up and shun away all the negativity...:)

Lowspirited
19th May 2007, 13:43
Hello everyone, i had a search and could not find any info on the interview process for CX flight attendant in HK. What are the stages and how long does it normally take to go through the process from sending an applcation? Also on their website they say proficiency in reading and speak cantonese/mandarin/english, does the interview process include a test on these? I speak full cantonese and english, but only very little mandarin and can only read a bit of chinrese, is that enough to apply?

Thanks for any answers or comments.

Lowspirited

qiutinger
19th May 2007, 15:07
YES! Please let us all know if you hear anything okay! I am so stuck! =D

qiutinger
21st May 2007, 09:59
I knew this day would come! I need to go back for a re-check up =(

Underweight. ARGH! There goes a chnace yet again!

malvin
21st May 2007, 12:02
Lowspirited (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=118252), from what my friend told me, as he is HKG based, it varies on the process it could take weeks even months, in his case it took months (2 months). The process, as far as he can remember, there was just the 1 interview. As for the language, yes there was a small test. They give you a card and you just have to read it (Chinese and English) also they talk to you for a little bit in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.

Shauna
21st May 2007, 20:22
i dont understand that....do u have to have chinese as one of ur languages?

Its a hard language to learn...i learnt abit of malay before and its not half as hard as chinese

malvin
21st May 2007, 21:06
To be considered employment with cx as cc, you will need to speak one of the chinese language, other asian language will also be considered. Ability to speak an asian language is listed in the web site.

Lowspirited
22nd May 2007, 07:28
Oh i can speak fluent cantonese and english, only very little mandarin and i can only read very little. So the tests do involve reading chinese off something? Thanks for the answers :)

veronique77
31st May 2007, 19:36
Hi Rensal, I'm pretty new in this website. Hope u cud enlighten me. Is CX still hiring sin based crew. Do u happen to have their add or email? Any info is appreciated!

Cheers ;)

roberta1
31st May 2007, 20:23
hello,
Which kind of answer did you have in your job interview, pls?

malvin
31st May 2007, 21:29
Had a quick look for the Singapore site for cx, couldn't see anything listed in there careers sections.

qiutinger
1st Jun 2007, 06:53
Hey all! I've gotten an email to attend some kinda pre-employment briefing on 7th June. And another girl was told that if all medical claerance is through before Mon/Tues (cox they'd consolidate the reports by Thurs).
And they say if the medical clearance is through later, they might get through it to go for trainings as the second batch.

QF666
9th Jun 2007, 17:23
Hi im a Qantas flight attendant...Can somebody help me find a CX flight attendant that was working in my section the other day on a flight from HKG-MEL on CX 105 (i think)... Her name was Flora ,she's very tall (and cute) for an asian girl.... if anyone can tell me her email or contact details i would really appreciate it.... the flight departed HKG on the 8th of June ...i was in seat 68G (from memory)

If anyone can help please reply or send me a private message... Thanks

PREES
18th Jun 2007, 08:44
I am new here and I have an interview on July 12 at LHR , can anybody tell me how the day looks like and is it only for one day or do I have to come back again the next day , I live in Berlin.

malvin
18th Jun 2007, 10:48
LHR based crew is only one day interview. The interview is as follows:

You report at the cx ticket sales desk, its by the cx checkin desks. You wait in that seating area just next to the sales desk. Someone will then come out and collect you and the rest. Once you're in the office, you wait with the others in the waiting area and fill out some forms which you hand them back. Then you are called over for the document checks and once that is done you return back to the waiting area for the height check, then wait again for the language test. The language test is very easy, they just talk to you in a normal conversation. Once you pass, back to the waiting for the one-to-one interview.....Once that is over, you are given a yellow card to say wait for 6 weeks. One advice....keep smiling when you hear the salary.

asianspa
22nd Jun 2007, 15:40
well heres a little info on cx london base very badly paid 700 pounds a month and thats if you fly 4 trips a month you have no respect from the manager and they make your life hell they will do there best to not do things for you .so many people leave so good luck if you wanted to be treated bad

fly.high
25th Jun 2007, 11:18
Do anybody have any information if they are currently hiring cabin crew in the Philippines. Thanks:)

malvin
25th Jun 2007, 12:42
AFAIK they are only recruiting HK and LHR base at the moment....

christep
4th Jul 2007, 05:47
Sorry to be a doubting thomas but could you please PM and provide some solid evidence that you are QF CC before I pass Flora's contact info?
I'm sure you understand.Hmmm. I'm curious. Why is it OK to pass a FA's contact details to a passenger if they happen to work as cabin crew for another airline, but not otherwise? I fail to see the logic here.

QF666
7th Jul 2007, 04:48
Hello again,

Im not a first time poster, just using a different login so my fellow collegues dont know its me... Maybe ill just say hi to Flora next time i see her in Melbourne.... please let me know when she is in Melbourne next if thats ok...

cindy_syng
22nd Jul 2007, 01:34
I am interesting for apply as a flight attendant at Cathay Parcific (Hong Kong base) and I've checked on their website, there is a current openings. But I've heard that CX HK base is such a big competition to apply as most of the uni grad student are applying. So can anyone tell me what should I do please? As I only have study GNVQ Int. Leisure & Tourism. I've called CX(HK) and asked if they'd accept it or not, they said ok. But still, I am not sure if I should apply for HK base or wait until there's a recruitment for London base.

Thank you!

malvin
22nd Jul 2007, 02:12
So long you can speak cantonese/mandarin, read/write cantonese and read/write English you will be fine, they will of course test you on these. As with education wise, yes, you will be in tough competition. They will require Maths/English min. as stated on there site. If you require further details, I can ask my friend who is currently working as HK base. But most information you want about cx will be post on here, these another post about cx that you can read on.

cindy_syng
22nd Jul 2007, 02:23
That's what I really concern if CX will accept my application as I only have a certificate of GNVQ Int and GCSE's Maths. They also said if I haven't got any GCSE's English, I can take a IELTS instead, minium 6 or above. The lady who has answered my call also asked me why don't I apply now as she think there will be a chance that CX will accept. And I remember the qualification base on the HKCEE and the other one is certificate standard, I can't remember what that is though. So Malvin, would you please ask your friend that if I should take more courses to improve my qualification or what else can I do please? Thank you!

jtr
22nd Jul 2007, 02:32
"The lady who answered my call..."

is well aware of how desperate they are to get FA's as the bottom of the barrel has already been scraped and OASIS are now paying more than CX. Net result, the SSP foot draggin specials that they were employing aren't interested any more.

If you have right of abode in Hong Kong and really want to live there why not apply to OASIS? Bear in mind you get no housing benefits from either as you are employed on local conditions if taking a Hong Kong base.

cindy_syng
22nd Jul 2007, 02:40
I've checked Oasis's website as well, I think all they want is experienced flight attendent becasue it also said about training record stuff like that. I am not trained though.

christep
22nd Jul 2007, 14:48
An additional check point: all the advertisements I have seen in recent times for HK-based CX Crew require that the applicants have the right of abode in Hong Kong (i.e. a Permanent HK ID card).

(This, in my opinion, is a major reason why the quality of CX crew is falling, but that's for another topic I guess...)

malvin
22nd Jul 2007, 14:50
Well that does make sense, no difference to any other airline in any other country. :rolleyes:

cindy_syng
22nd Jul 2007, 14:59
I do have the right of abode in Hong Kong and UK as well. What I worry about is, should I give it a go and see what will come up? :ugh:

malvin
22nd Jul 2007, 15:16
By all means give it a go, after all you have nothing to lose if it didn't work out. LHR base, they have stopped recruiting now and it is unknown as to when they will recruit again, but you might find LHR base not that attractive in salary wise as mentioned in the other thread about cx.

cindy_syng
22nd Jul 2007, 15:26
But my family is in UK and there will be a little bit hard if I go back and stay in HK at this moment. But even if I apply now, would it be a little bit too late now? Because the job opening is 12/07/2007. Therefore, you can only re-apply after 6 months if you've been rejected from CX.

*sigh* so many things to think about.
I am very frustrated now.

malvin
22nd Jul 2007, 16:42
Well...either way you need to find accommodation as a temporary base during the application stage....only when you are successful and have been accepted, then you will need to find out if cx can accommodate you.

They are still advertising, therefore still recruiting..so you better get your application in there before they stop...just like LHR base....Just to clarify, did you apply to cx HKG base before?

cindy_syng
22nd Jul 2007, 17:20
This is the first time that I apply as a FA. Why?

malvin
22nd Jul 2007, 17:39
Right, just wondering why you mentioned the 6months waiting period, so thought maybe you applied to cx before.

Jessmin
23rd Jul 2007, 01:17
Hey, read your posts in the forum, don't worry too much. Just go for the interview. You got nothing to lose. I am ex-CX crew for more than 10 years, with EK now.
Just FYI, prepare to work long hours, there are few catergories of crew not in terms of rank. But in terms of condition of work and hours, You will be regard as hourly paid crew, they are some permanent crew like me. Your pay will be different. You are right about most junior crew are from hk. don't worry about education backgrounds. you will do fine. Just show up with a lovely smile, be confidence, be yourself. enter the industry with broad mind. Let me tell you, you deal with varies nationality,varies passengers background, so if you think you can't handle minor comments from your colleagues or the company, then you probably better off somewhere else.
Malvin is right, London based crew don't get paid well.
Truth to be told., Many crew resigned from CX very often, cos' they can't deal with low paid long hours, bear in mind, Hk Economy has recovered, so a lot of this new uni Crew resigned and stay in hkg to find better job with better pay.
If there's any consolation, even if you fail at CX interview, pls dont give up, try other airlines....good luck

cindy_syng
23rd Jul 2007, 21:44
I am gonna apply it and give it a go anyway. Just not sure if they've got enough people yet but still ... why not apply it as I have nothing to lose. Before I do so, I have to get my CV done first. Thank you for all the opinions. Wish me luck guys.

Also, another question, if I can't get any reply within a period of time, I am not accepted, right? But how long is that "period of time"?

Thank you!

malvin
24th Jul 2007, 20:16
I think the waiting period during application is within 4 weeks and 6 weeks after the interview.

Good Luck and keep us posted how you got on.

sharkyhk
25th Jul 2007, 08:00
give it a go but as Jassmine has stated be prepared to work long hours with bad pay. I couldnt deal with it myself and am so much better at another airline now .......

cindy_syng
25th Jul 2007, 16:27
I know that there will be low pay long hours for CX. But the reason why I want to apply for CX is I can go back to HK and stay. If I can get into CX, I got trained then I can try another airline.

By the way, I have the feeling that I'll fail this time because the application was sent during I am typing my work expenience. I don't know if the system went wrong or what, and when I check the history, my application was SENT my work experience is "BLANK". I have to call them to see if they can delete that application and let me try again or not. *sigh*

SHAME and it really let me down!

malvin
25th Jul 2007, 18:20
Low pay and long airlines....that is just about most airlines...but not compared to LHR base within cx. Like you i wanted to get into cx LHR for the same reason...but thats another story. I'm happy where I am at the moment, it will be a great experience and a passport to other airlines should i choose to move on....anyways....I would send another application, the full version, and if possible tell them to cancel the other one, giving explanation. At the same time contact via telephone/email and explain the situation.

cindy_syng
26th Jul 2007, 04:46
I've tried to send another application but it said I've already applied. It means I can't use the same membership to join. Also, I've call their recruitment hotmail few times but no one answer. So what should I do? I will keep calling them though and should I register another membership and try to apply again while I can't get to contact the recruitment staff? Or just wait until tehy answer my call?

malvin
26th Jul 2007, 12:43
Keep on trying calling them, you could try phoning the HQ and ask for the recruiting department and if the number is different to the hotline, explain the situation and see what they advise you.

arl_b
3rd Aug 2007, 12:24
Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone here who has recently been offered employment by Cathay Pacific and starts training in October.:)

LK84
14th Aug 2007, 22:51
I have :ok:

Blown Seal
5th Jan 2008, 13:16
Hello all,
My girlfriend is thinking of applying to Cathay as a Flight Attendant and she was curious as to what the terms and conditions were for a Hong Kong based employee.
Thanks in advance.
BS
:)

mw744
3rd Feb 2008, 18:32
I am interested to know about LHR base CX crew applications...

- how tough is the language test
- i speak english, swedish, german and pretty good mandarin
- i lived in asia for many years as a child, HK mainly

- would CX even read an application from a white male or are they
trying to keep the crew all-asian like SQ or TG?

- i have other things going on so the low pay 4x trips a month
would not be a huge problem for me.

emerald_aisle
3rd Feb 2008, 20:59
The money is not that good in London base. And if you're expecting more money, I would suggest to apply for BA or QF.

Dim Sum
6th Feb 2008, 23:24
- would CX even read an application from a white male or are they trying to keep the crew all-asian like SQ or TG?

When I went for my interview last month, there was a white guy with us. So they'll accept anybody as long as you know the languages CX require.

- how tough is the language test
- i speak english, swedish, german and pretty good mandarin
- i lived in asia for many years as a child, HK mainly

How comes you speak Mandarin when you lived in HK as a child?

mw744
7th Feb 2008, 13:02
ayi's came from beijing area, my mom told them to teach us mandarin as kids, various chinese singaporean friends when we went there, self motivated and degree in the language... i wouldnt say i was native-speaker fluent

thanks for your reply though, appreciate it.

i know they have bad money but its about 4 trips a month which gives me time to do my other "stuff" and still fly, right now i am cc but working alot and not feeling diversified enough for the long term cash flow!

evogear
2nd May 2008, 13:40
Hello Guys...

I applied for Indonesian speaking crew for CX... and i got the invitation for interview in Jakarta.

Can anyone tell me how the process will be look like and what are their expectation....?

Thanks
Evogear

Abermin
14th May 2008, 13:29
When I went for the interview back in 2003, I was confident and I listened to the instructions that no one should assume the the role of a leader in the group discussion, but most experienced crew did and it was hard for people like me and you to butt in to have a say.
Guess what! Those who tried to lead the discussion were asked to come back and I got a yellow card, but they never phoned back.
They simply don't know how to tell you they are not interested in you on the spot, but they shouldn't let people think they might still have a chance.

Abermin
14th May 2008, 13:51
When I went for my interview back in 2003 (it was unsuccessful), I wasn't asked to read any script. I was shown a picture. A picture of a man flying first-class enjoying being served by one of the flight attendants offering him drinks and food. I was asked to speak about the picture in Mandarin and that was all. They didn't even try and speak to me in Mandarin. My guess is the woman who was interviewing me could understand Mandarin and she couldn't actually speak it. A bit like my Cantonese.

Abermin
14th May 2008, 13:56
How the f*** are you supposed to live on £ 700 a month in London? You can't even find a flat that's cheaper than £ 700 a month in London! If you wish to fly more in order to earn more, would they take you on?

cocacola88
14th May 2008, 18:12
try it! My friend is LHR base CX crew; they do have, not many, a few crew who are white and from Europe there. and many mixed caucasian crew in LHR base as well as in HKG base!

Good luck!

humberto
15th May 2008, 15:03
Hi everyone ,,

I was wondering , does CX has any ethnic requirements for their cabin crew , even if you meet their criteria including the languages and the airline experience.
I just saw their add for a cabin crew rec in Malaysia (based in Hongkong ) and they never stated that you only need to be Malaysian or of a certain nationality . Also how long does it usually take for them to get back to you.?

Thanks

Abermin
8th Jun 2008, 20:26
How much can a new CX flight attendant expect to take home a month in 2008?
What are the hours like?

sharonleung79
10th Jun 2008, 23:05
Hello there, I have an interview with cathay pacific next thursday. I kind of know what question they gonna ask. This is my second interview so hopefully i would succeed. Since you have experiences working as a cabin crew, Do you know what is the pay for 2008 after tax and does your wages increase after you have been with cx for over a year? Do you actually fly 4 times a month or more?
Would the pay be alot better if i was base in hong kong?

darlingbibi
26th Jun 2008, 09:39
Wondering how are the medical assessment process?What are the preparations in advance?
thanks for ur time :D

darlingbibi
26th Jun 2008, 09:41
Hi Sharon, How was ur interview?
Have u heard from them?

sharonleung79
16th Nov 2008, 12:50
hello there, i am now in hong kong training for the cabin crew position! i have an assessment tommorow for the cantanese reading! but i can't cantanese in 3 days! it mission impossible! i never said that i can read cantanese at my interview! i am so stress at the moment plus i start to think is this the right position for me or not

sharonleung79
25th Nov 2008, 11:56
hi there, what i been told about the pay is round about just less than 300 pound a week including allowances! so you get about 1100 pound a month

achunghy
4th May 2010, 15:27
Hi, first time posting here on the forums!

It seems like this thread is pretty dead...but just thought I'd revive it and see if anyone will reply ^.^

I just applied for FA in CX like...less than a week ago, and got a call to go for their interview next week on the 14th. I'm pretty excited and nervous! I am pretty pessimistic about it though, as I always thought I was too short and fat for a job like FA which is why I never thought about applying, but only fantasized about being an FA when I was small, and stopped when I stopped growing vertically lol

Would like to know if anyone out there is applying and going for interviews for them during this intake period? Would like to meet people in the same boat (or shall I say plane if we get in!)

achunghy
6th May 2010, 15:23
hey habbibi! good luck with your interview!! awesome that you know mandarin! I need to learn that lol, I'm the typical British born chinese who speaks english and cantonese.

Yeah, I heard pay was low compared to other airlines, but I've flown with Cathay Pacific on the last 3 years when travelling to and from HK, and since my brother is in it too (although he is against me interviewing for them...). Compared to me trying to find work in hong kong getting less than £1000 per month, I think I can live with what CX offers.

achunghy
16th May 2010, 10:56
Went for the (LHR base) interview on Friday, wouldn't say I did too well, kinda blanked out and felt I wasn't keeping eye contact as much as I should.

So a brief info on the interview:
1.) Wait in ticketing area to be picked up (where I got talking to other candidates who were lovely~)
2.) Picked up and went to their office
3.) Height test - shoes off and reach for the piece of paper stuck on the wall (for your info, I'm only 159cm, and I passed lol I can reach about 209cm)
4.) Fill in forms, its not too time consuming...unless you dont have HKID
5.) Language test - speak in your 2nd language and read a paragraph in that language
6.) Interview - its a 2-on-1 (with an inflight manager)! It is pretty informal, more conversation like and they ask your standard interview questions. (One of the interviewer kept interrupting me while I spoke but apologised after, not sure if its because I was speaking badly or its her habit of inserting her opinions too...like in a normal conversation)
7.) End of interview, received a yellow card which said they will contact me in 4 weeks time if successful

Hmm...I am pretty pessimistic with my performance, but I will keep trying! and hope for the best, and reapply in 6months time~~ Never give up on your dreams~~

ericjl
18th May 2010, 21:47
Has anyone elae heard anything yet? they said 4 weeks waiting time, however I believe Habbibi already informed. Am i assuming my application not successful? waithing is killing me:{

achunghy
20th May 2010, 18:04
congratulations habbibi!!

@ericjl - I guess they have started to call successful candidates...since habbibi got in~
When was your interview?

I'm losing hope already, if I don't get a call by tomorrow...*sighs* although they say wait 4 weeks, but usually companies will call to succesful candidates in the first week...unless some drops out or does not pass their medical examinations

rainbow21
23rd May 2010, 18:14
hi everyone,

i have passed my interview with cx.i am now waiting to do my medical which is on the 2nd of june. to the ones who passed the interview congratulations!! to others who are still waiting for the golden call don't lose hope i really hope you will be contacted soon.
habbibi when is your medical? i am a bit worried because i'm underweight.

BrunoMorgado
24th May 2010, 16:25
hi guys
congrats

i just sent my aplication in the website, but there´s nothing about the LHR base there... they ask us to have an hong kong residence permit.

where did you applyed? was it there ? or some other website...

or is the recruitment process over ?

rainbow21
24th May 2010, 20:39
[Text speak]

Read the first sticky thread at the top of this forum.

Lilianma
8th Jun 2010, 21:05
hi everyone, first time to post here. I was missed CX phone calls twice at the end of April. However, they rang me again for the third attempt this afternoon while I was on my lunch at work. My interview will be after 2 weeks. I'm ready looking forward to it. From the phone, a female English speaking officer mentioned I will have a group assessment interview including height check to reach 208cm, check passport, language test (Cantonese/Mandarin for me), fill in application form, etc. She told me to bring UK passport, HKID card and 2 passport photos. Anyone else will have an interview later on in June? Please kindly leave a word here. By the way, Thanks for everyone sharing your interview experience in advance.

rainbow21
9th Jun 2010, 13:59
hi lilianma,

good luck in your interview. when exactly is your interview? i had mine already and i am now waiting for my results regarding my medical test. hope to see you soon. take care

Lilianma
11th Jun 2010, 19:41
sorry to reply you late. My interview will be on 23 June in the afternoon.

rainbow21
11th Jun 2010, 22:02
I See. Good Luck Then. You Still Have Enough Time To Prepare. I Got My Medical Results And I Passed Yey!

nk_6510
17th Jun 2010, 23:05
hey, my interview is also 23rd, but its morning

chocolatecocobean
19th Jun 2010, 23:30
I have my interview on the 22nd June. So nervous, Im kinda worried about the reach test as i only just about reach 208cm.
Anyone else having an interveiw on the 22nd?

yingying
22nd Jun 2010, 19:15
chocolatecocobean,

how did the interview go? Did you make the height test?

chocolatecocobean
22nd Jun 2010, 22:07
Hello,

yes i did reach it : ) the interveiw wasnt that bad actually, a group discussion was involved, then a language test, it was kind of fun actually hehe.
When's your interview?

ukdangermouse
23rd Jun 2010, 01:08
Hi everyone,
I am one of CX London base cabin and we are currently recruiting crew.
If you dream about being cabin crew, then CX will be a very good company to work for.
The base opened just few years ago and Lon crew is about 200(not sure). We only operate LHR-HKG route and we have 4 flights per day. The lon base crew operate only 747 and required 16cabin crews per flights so you can imagine how it would be...
Nomally we have 4flights per month and you can request lower flying if you don't want to fly much.
It is 5days pattern flight so if you fly to Hong Kong on Monday then, you would be back to London on Friday.

So many reason to work with CX, we have very good shedule than any other airlines and it helps us to get over time difference when you coma back from work.
We offered an excellent training & you might know that we have a remarkable safety record...
The base is not that big so we are friendly & more likely family each other...
You will learn a lot of things & meet wonderful people in here...
Well, wages... Let's say, if you fly 4times per month,(nomally what we do..) we get paid about £1200 after tax(as junior) and you will received allowance aboout HKD 2000 per trip.
The wage is getting increased every year so we expect it will be more than that in the future.

If you fly to Hong Kong, we nomally stay in hotel owned by CX so you don't need to pay internet & the food, Etc would be cheaper that other hotel. and it is a good hotel.

There are a lot of things that I want to say about the compayny but I realised that it would be ended if I do tonight...

One more thing, If you are preparing an interview than, reading carefully the job description and think about it...
It will help you...

Wish you all the best!

yingying
23rd Jun 2010, 08:41
I have mine monday. Was there only a group discussion and not interview?

ukdangermouse,

I thought the take home pay (including allowance is 1200) is that correct?

mik26
23rd Jun 2010, 12:59
hi i also have been invited for the assessment day on monday. what time is your appointment? are you lhr base too? thanks

mik26
26th Jun 2010, 12:04
hows your interview go? did they called you for the result? mines on monday LHR. thanks

yingying
8th Jul 2010, 17:58
Anyone got through to the next round?

rexkingdom
9th Aug 2010, 13:52
Would CX pay you extra if you don't need their accommandation in HK?

SloppyJoe
9th Aug 2010, 14:50
no (OK I am not 100% sure but if it is yes pm me and I will match what they give you for a weeks room in the headland hotel)

rexkingdom
9th Aug 2010, 15:48
oh I thought you will have choices to rent a place outside since I used to see foregin CX cabin attendants in local area(Hong Kong). May be 7-8 years ago:)

ikabel
14th Aug 2010, 13:02
Those of you that has been to an interview, I was wondering, the reach test is it done flat foot or can you stand on tip toes? Thanks

rexkingdom
14th Aug 2010, 23:08
You can stand on tiptoes. 208cm

QQs
18th Aug 2010, 11:05
Hi guys,
Does CX pay for basic salary or just flying allowance?
Anyone knows when did CX will conduct any interviews at malaysia or singapore?

fice88
22nd Sep 2010, 17:23
I hope I can reach 208cm. I'm 5"2 .One question, did anyone ever seen a girl with braids going for interview. I have very neat braids and I wonder if I should take it out .If Cathay Pacific wants a conservative hair style, I would be glad to do so. Thank you!

Another question. I can speak Cantonese but little Mandarin. And I can speak Malay and Hokkien(taiwanese). unfortunately I cannot write or read chinese. How was the language test. And how did they test you? Thank you

king_to_noh
8th May 2011, 03:19
Hello and Great day!

Anyone knows about the LHR recruitment? Does CX-London provide Visa Spornsorship in case I was not a UK passport holder but willing to apply for visa on my expense? And as of 2011, how match are the Crew getting and what are the benefits?

Thanks!:-)